PDA

View Full Version : rear eye mount

rocksmann
06-11-2010, 02:05 PM
I have converted my 73 X -18 from volvo to merc brovo1 the old eye mount went to transom plate of the volvo now the bravo is lower. I have seen pics of newer Donzi classics with 3 carage bolts in transom is this to hold this I have not the inside or bracket how does this work? some pics would be helpful so i can have one made thanks Bill

DonziJon
06-11-2010, 02:20 PM
YES. Three big carriage bolts run through the transom into a piece of steel angle (1986) mounted crosswise inside, with the eye going down to and through the tab. On my Minx there is a steel "Tab" (about .25 x 2"W x 4"L) welded to the angle facing foreward. Ugly.

gcarter
06-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I have one available (I'm not re-using it) so why don't you make me an offer if you need one?
Mine is newer than John's and is made from aluminum.

DonziJon
06-11-2010, 04:58 PM
I hope those looking .. will notice the EXCELLENT ignition wires. :lookaroun: I haven't had the inclination to crawl in there and do a proper Restoration of that lift bar.

I think I heard somewhere... that rust scale actually protects the steel underneath. :nilly: :wink:

gcarter
06-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Hi John!
Those are nice wires!
If you remove the hatch all that area is pretty easy to get to.
BTW, I think the steel piece in the Minx was galvanized and then painted. I cleaned it thouroughly and had it powdercoated.
The aluminum, which is just sitting in a box, is about 1/3 the weight.

MOP
06-11-2010, 08:19 PM
My 86 has the same bracket, notice the water staining! The brackets have no sealer on the inside, some of the water making its way down the shaft ends up weeping into the transom wood. The bracket should be removed cleaned up and then set in sealant to protect the transom wood.

Phil

rocksmann
06-12-2010, 03:50 PM
thanks as always good info :kingme: Bill

DonziJon
06-13-2010, 01:20 PM
If I were to try to remove the nuts from that lifting bar to remove it, what are the chances that the square shank under the bolt head will "Spin" in the hole, and essentialy leaving me with a useless round hole..?

MOP
06-13-2010, 01:41 PM
When I took mine off it looked as if the drilled the holes one size smaller it had decent notches and did not spin.

DonziJon
06-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks MOP. I "may" just put a wrench on the first nut and see if it turns the bolt. If I get away with it, I'll go on to the next bolt.

I ain't lookin for no trouble. :bonk:

Barry Eller
06-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks MOP. I "may" just put a wrench on the first nut and see if it turns the bolt. If I get away with it, I'll go on to the next bolt.
I ain't lookin for no trouble. :bonk:

soak the nuts with a good penetrating oil first...