PDA

View Full Version : thermostat housing

margo
06-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I have a gasket, a thermostat, a plastic sleeve with 2 cutouts on it, and a 0 ring...Does anyone know what order these parts go into the housing, from the intake up...Getting different opinions, no one knows for sure...Also what temp thermostat should i run in a 350 vortek engine... thanks Joe

Carbo
06-09-2010, 10:58 PM
You need to give a little more info.....what kind of motor? Mercruiser? Year? I sounds like mercuiser and usually there is a thin cork ring that goes in first..then the thermostat...then the plastic sleeve which has a notch for alighnment and then the whole assy mounts to the intake with a gasket.

margo
06-10-2010, 07:04 AM
It,s a 350 vortek merc. When i took it out it was gasket, tstat, plastic and gasket from manifold into housing...Looked it up online and it showed it the way you discribed..Useing a 160 tstat it seems to run on the hot side when installed either way..Any ideas???

Carbo
06-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Little more info.....bravo? Alpha? If bravo replace the impeller in the sea water pump, Alpha do an impeller in the drive........160 degree tstat should run right at 160.....proper temp is 160. Did you have an impeller failure? Did you account for all pieces? How old are the manifolds and risers???That is where all your cooling water exits and if restricted temp goes up....Bravos also have that bad water neck problem at the transom assy......

Cuda
06-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Throw the t stat away.
That's one less thing that can go wrong.
Is it carbed or EFI?

MOP
06-11-2010, 05:50 AM
Margo try this link to see if it matched your setup!

Phil

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=884712&ivar=images/COMMON/14717.png&inbr=7585&bnbr=230&bdesc=Thermostat+And+Housing%28Easy+Drain%29

P. S. if you are running in a higher temp area a 140 may be a better choice then the 160.

BUIZILLA
06-11-2010, 06:13 AM
you NEED the thermostat

look up the parts profile on Mercruiserparts.com or dougrussell.com and assemble the parts in that fashion

do not leave out the thermostat, it should be 143*

margo
06-11-2010, 09:13 PM
thanks everyone,i just ordered a 142 degree...new impeller and prop seal last yr. alpha drive, 350 vortek crate engine, edel man and carb..I saw the links on the install, will put it the way merc shows, even though it was in with the tstat on the intake then sleeve and gasket...Boat ran great with the new man and carb, had a 2 barrel before..Picked up 5mph from 55 to 60..1986 minx,love it....Joe

margo
06-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Margo try this link to see if it matched your setup!

Phil

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=884712&ivar=images/COMMON/14717.png&inbr=7585&bnbr=230&bdesc=Thermostat+And+Housing%28Easy+Drain%29

P. S. if you are running in a higher temp area a 140 may be a better choice then the 160.
Hey Phil if i,m guessing right soixante-neuf is 69 right or wrong..Joe

Carbo
06-12-2010, 12:43 PM
You can run what you want but for a Vortec motor the "proper" thermostat is the 160 degree........140 was for the older motors......

margo
06-12-2010, 10:05 PM
You can run what you want but for a Vortec motor the "proper" thermostat is the 160 degree........140 was for the older motors......
I understand what your saying, but if it,s running on the hot side wouldn,t it be somewhere in the neighborhood of 160...Without any the gauge doesen,t even budge so i don,t think ther are any restrictions...Thanks for the input ...Joe

Carbo
06-13-2010, 12:59 AM
If it is running hotter than 160 with a 160 thermostat you still have something wrong. Running a colder thermostat or no thermostat is a band aid.

BUIZILLA
06-13-2010, 06:13 AM
i've had 4 Vortec's...

they ALL came with 143* from the factory with RWC

the 160 was in the FWC versions

you don't want a 160 in salt water cooled...

Carbo
06-13-2010, 09:50 PM
i've had 4 Vortec's...

I work on mercruiser's all day long.......every Vortec mercruiser I saw after '96 uses a 160 degree.....just looked in the application guide.

Fact is he should run what is supposed to be in his motor.....

thehow33
06-14-2010, 12:32 AM
If it is running hotter than 160 with a 160 thermostat you still have something wrong. Running a colder thermostat or no thermostat is a band aid.
Not always true. But I do agree it's a band aid if there actually is a problem.

Cuda
06-14-2010, 07:33 AM
i've had 4 Vortec's...

Salt water crystalizes at temps over 143 I believe. Somewhere around that temp. The US Navy keeps anything that is raw water cooled below 140 degrees. You can look that up. The laws of physics don't change for Mercruiser.

Carbo
06-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Salt water crystalizes at temps over 143 I believe. Somewhere around that temp. The US Navy keeps anything that is raw water cooled below 140 degrees. You can look that up. The laws of physics don't change for Mercruiser.

So the two largest manufacturers of sterndrives being Mercruiser and Volvo do not know what they are doing? Somebody better call them and tell them the Navy...(who manufacturers zero...they just buy them) knows more about what temp a motor should run at....wow.

thehow33
06-14-2010, 10:40 PM
The navy doesn't just buy...they buy molds and engines to start with and then make them better, depending on where in the world they will be used.

Cuda
06-15-2010, 05:57 AM
So the two largest manufacturers of sterndrives being Mercruiser and Volvo do not know what they are doing? Somebody better call them and tell them the Navy...(who manufacturers zero...they just buy them) knows more about what temp a motor should run at....wow.

I'm telling you for a FACT that any raw water cooled engine runs at about 140 degrees for the express reason that salt water will crystallize at a hotter temp.

Were you ever in the Navy? Mercruiser and Volvo make closed cooling engines.

The Navy doesn't get guarantees on their equipment, they have to make sure it will work anywhere in the world. Bigger ships have their own machine shops on board.

Like I said, the laws of physics don't change because Merc or Volvo say so.
Do some research before you make statements like that.

Carbo
06-15-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm telling you for a FACT that any raw water cooled engine runs at about 140 degrees for the express reason that salt water will crystallize at a hotter temp.

Were you ever in the Navy? Mercruiser and Volvo make closed cooling engines.

The Navy doesn't get guarantees on their equipment, they have to make sure it will work anywhere in the world. Bigger ships have their own machine shops on board.

Like I said, the laws of physics don't change because Merc or Volvo say so.
Do some research before you make statements like that.

And I am telling you for a "fact" that mercruiser vortec engines from 96 up are running a 160 degree thermostat from the factory. I do not give a "crap" about what the Navy uses. We are talking about a Vortec mercruiser and what the factory puts in.....Do some research before you make statements like that. Do I need to post a parts diagram for you ? Maybe a picture would help.....Why don't you look up what the factory calls for on some Vortec Mercruisers and let me know what it says. Or go tho your local dealer and ask for a thremostat for a 96+ Vortec and then tell them your story when they hand you a 160 degree version. Or better yet call Mercruiser and tell them they have it all wrong.........I am sure they will listen.

fogducker III
06-15-2010, 09:09 AM
My Scorpion raw water cooled engine, which I believe has Vortec heads, came with a 160* and I run it ALOT in salt water, temp gauge is always at a solid 160* and I have had no issues........there is no problem with salt build-up if it is flushed properly, personally, I use Salt Away....:wink:

EVERY marine I/O that I have run has had a 160* thermostat, perhaps there is a difference in the temp of the salt water in the area a motor is ran? Up here the water is VERY cold so I wonder if warmer water dictates a different thermostat...?:confused:

Carbo
06-15-2010, 09:21 AM
My Scorpion raw water cooled engine, which I believe has Vortec heads, came with a 160* and I run it ALOT in salt water, temp gauge is always at a solid 160* and I have had no issues........there is no problem with salt build-up if it is flushed properly, personally, I use Salt Away....:wink:

EVERY marine I/O that I have run has had a 160* thermostat, perhaps there is a difference in the temp of the salt water in the area a motor is ran? Up here the water is VERY cold so I wonder if warmer water dictates a different thermostat...?:confused:

The factory told us they had to raise the operating temp up to 160 for emissions reasons....I am not arguing that a 140 is not ok but just what the factory says to use and what the dealer will hand you if you ask.

TXDONZI
06-15-2010, 12:58 PM
On my 1999 22C 7.4L MPI I just replaced my raw water (RW) pump flushed all hoses back and forth and got more impeller pieces than I lost this time..... Hooked up all the hoses but the top of the RW hose and ran it (a few sec.) to see good flow. Then pulled the T-Stat and found a 160 deg. stat in it All the sites I looked up call for that I went and got a Sierra 18-3551 142deg. and Stant 13006 160deg. both are stainless and look very close to one another.

Do I believe my eyes and all the parts websites on the 160deg. or go with the 142deg. since I am in brackish and salt water?

Cuda
06-15-2010, 01:39 PM
And I am telling you for a "fact" that mercruiser vortec engines from 96 up are running a 160 degree thermostat from the factory. I do not give a "crap" about what the Navy uses. We are talking about a Vortec mercruiser and what the factory puts in.....Do some research before you make statements like that. Do I need to post a parts diagram for you ? Maybe a picture would help.....Why don't you look up what the factory calls for on some Vortec Mercruisers and let me know what it says. Or go tho your local dealer and ask for a thremostat for a 96+ Vortec and then tell them your story when they hand you a 160 degree version. Or better yet call Mercruiser and tell them they have it all wrong.........I am sure they will listen.
.Merc knows it is bad to run over 140. They also know most engines get flushed. Merc knows some will fail running at 160. The number crunchers have already figured that in the price of a new motor. How long is Merc's warranty? They won't fail immediatly, but if you think that salt water DOESN[T crystallize at around 143, you better call some physics teachers and tell them they are wrong. Call the Navy, because it would be news to them too.

I was born at Subic Bay, PI, and the closest shipyard to there is Guam, which is halfway across the Pacific. Their stuff had to run everyday, mostly all day. I don't think Merc or Volvo have that problem. I could go behind a tree and crap a Merc mechanic.
There are none so blind as those that will not see.

BUIZILLA
06-15-2010, 01:54 PM
I think George posted some strong documentation 4-5 years ago that stated 156-158* was the crystalization crossover point... the info was solid..

Cuda
06-15-2010, 03:07 PM
I think George posted some strong documentation 4-5 years ago that stated 156-158* was the crystalization crossover point... the info was solid..
I think the Navy had a problem factor built in. If a raw water cooled engine ran over 140, they'd tear it down to find out why.

thehow33
06-15-2010, 08:35 PM
.Merc knows it is bad to run over 140. They also know most engines get flushed. Merc knows some will fail running at 160. The number crunchers have already figured that in the price of a new motor. How long is Merc's warranty? They won't fail immediatly, but if you think that salt water DOESN[T crystallize at around 143, you better call some physics teachers and tell them they are wrong. Call the Navy, because it would be news to them too.

I was born at Subic Bay, PI, and the closest shipyard to there is Guam, which is halfway across the Pacific. Their stuff had to run everyday, mostly all day. I don't think Merc or Volvo have that problem. I could go behind a tree and crap a Merc mechanic.
There are none so blind as those that will not see.

I'm with you Cuda, obviously if you use a 160 Tstat the motor will still work for a while, but you had better be flushing it on a regular basis.

I didn't realize that no one else in the world besides merc and volvo know how to build a marine motor. And the military doesn't build for performance they build for reliability and longevity on top of that they almost always have the best technology, which the public generally doesn't get for quite some time.

just because the merc/volvo manuals tell you what they do doesn't mean its the best way. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on this website that have tweaked what merc/volvo say to do and got better results because of it.