PDA

View Full Version : 1997 22x help

fshearin
06-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Im am looking for some information and any help that anyone could give me. I am looking to buy a 1997 22zx. It has a 454 and bravo 1, all stock. Its in pretty good shape, about average for the year. It has some small hairline cracks above the rub rail all the way around the boat, about 8 inches apart or so. There is no hour meter, the motor sounds good, no unusual noises. The interior has normal wear and tear, needs a good cleaning.

I have never owned a performance boat, but am very interested in this boat. Any help or advice about this would be very much appreciated.

What would a fair price on this boat be, just a rough estimate.

Thanks for the help,
Forrest

Tidbart
06-09-2010, 06:18 AM
A little more info would help with your request. Is it carbureted or fuel-injected? Include any maintenance records? Was it kept in the water or out? Any photos? Include a trailer? Stepped hull? I think the 97 had the older style hull before the step came out.
Bob

fshearin
06-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Its a carburated 454. kept on trailer but used a lot in salt water. No maintanence records other than winterized every year, and he has receipts for lower unit work done about 4 years ago. Its sitting on an aluminum trailer, but needs a lot of work done to it, lights, brakes, bearings, tires, springs etc. its the older style hull, not stepped. the actuator to lift the engine bay cover is broken.
I dont have any pics, its for sale locally, not online. There is a little rust on the motor mounts, around the bolts and some surface rust on the bottom of the engine block.has captains choice exhuast.
He's asking $13k for it.
THanks.

Tidbart
06-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Trailer, you are looking at somewhere in the $1500-$2000 range for the rebuild, maybe more depending on the quality of parts you use, my guess without seeing it.

Boat, been in salt, I would replace the exhaust manifolds. Cracks in the glass, probably superficial, can be repaired. Minor rust would be normal for a 14 y.o. boat that has been in salt. Not knowing the hours would worry me, I would have a compression check done. No maintenance records, I would go through the boat after purchase and do all the maintenance that I could think of so that I knew the condition of everything I touched. So you are looking at another 1500-2000 bucks there, if everything works out. (hint, always keep maintenance records)
Granted, you can save a bundle if you can do this work your self.

Remember, I have seen no pictures nor the boat, nor have I driven it. I would start at 10k. The only reference I have seen is http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1997-Donzi-22-ZX-96798278 for $14500. But, this boat and trailer appears to be in very good condition and would guess could be had for about $12500-$13000.

These are just my opinions and things that I would consider.

Good luck. Bob

bigmc69
06-11-2010, 08:34 AM
I just bought a 98 donzi 22zx with 454 efi with upgraded emi manifolds and stainless risers no cracks on exterior of boat just on flooring in cockpit area. I picked it up for $16.5 everythting mechanical works only upholstry needing attention is the to front seats under the seats. The sunpad had been replaced and the back seat replaced.

VetteLT193
06-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Before you rebuild the trailer I'd call around to get prices on a brand new one. you might be surprised that for a few hundred more bucks you can get everything new down to the tires.

Also, it is a boat, so everything you estimate $$$ wise to fix I suggest to multiply by two or three times to get a more accurate estimate.:bonk:

Boiler56
06-11-2010, 04:14 PM
I sold my '97 22ZX in November for $12K.
It had a 454 Mag, carburated. Mine was pretty clean, had spider cracks above the rub-rail towards the rear of the boat. I had a complete vinyl redo in '08 for about $1K. I also had to put about $2K of "parts" into it.

The trailer I had was a two-axle galvanized. You can get a pretty good deal on a used aluminum trailer, check the S. Fla Craig's list.

The boat itself is a lot of fun to drive, mine topped out at 63mph, had a 22 4-blade that I bought from Big Grizz. It will tend to porpoise if you are not trimmed just right at high speed, but most short hulled boat do that to some degree.

I still have a lot of spare parts, intake manifold, carb, 23p Mirage Plus prop.
I had mine for two years, was very happy with it, but wanted more space. I may have been able to sell for a few more $, but had the deal lined up on my current boat and didn't want to wait.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.