PDA

View Full Version : Oil Spill insurance

VetteLT193
06-08-2010, 11:04 AM
I just got an interesting email from Progressive... thought I would share. what do you guys think?

Dear ____________,
[]
We're here to help if you need to report damage to your watercraft resulting from the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico -- just call 1-800-876-5581.

The extent to which the oil spill might damage watercraft is not completely known at this time. Should oil begin to approach your waterway, we encourage you to take your watercraft out of the water if that will prevent damage from the spill. You'll get peace of mind knowing your watercraft is safe, and you'll avoid any deductible costs of a claim.

If you decide to keep your watercraft on the water:
[]
[]
[Bullet] Speak to your marina about its preparation plans to protect the waters inside its boundaries.
[]
[]
[Bullet] Get regular updates regarding water conditions in your area and follow all government and manufacturer recommendations regarding your watercraft.
[]
[]
[Bullet] Keep your watercraft behind your marina's oil containment booms.

Stay safe and, if you have questions, call us anytime at 1-800-876-5581.

Sincerely,

Rick Stern
Progressive Boat Insurance Manager

Morgan's Cloud
06-08-2010, 11:42 AM
If I was there and had anything sitting in the water , it would definitely have been hauled by now.

I think was pretty decent of them to tip their policy holders off , mind you it could also be seen as an act of self preservation.

JeffH
06-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Nothing to do with insurance, but the Marina owner in Rockport, Tx has has hundreds of calls for slips for large boats... so many that he is thinking of adding on as he is FULL!

VetteLT193
06-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Nothing to do with insurance, but the Marina owner in Rockport, Tx has has hundreds of calls for slips for large boats... so many that he is thinking of adding on as he is FULL!

is it protected waters? I don't know the area.

zelatore
06-08-2010, 02:13 PM
A year or two ago when we had the Cosco Buson hit the bay bridge spilling fuel oil into the bay we had a bunch of info along those lines passed out by the coast guard saying if there was any damange to your boat from floating oil here's the contact at Cosco who's in charge of the damages.

We never had any oil enter the estuary where our marina is that I saw, however that didn't stop a few people from trying to get a free bottom job out of Cosco. :boggled:

The Hedgehog
06-08-2010, 08:40 PM
That is why Tex is in Demopolis Al right now.

Last Real Texan
06-09-2010, 10:09 AM
That is why Tex is in Demopolis Al right now.
You are correct, I left because of that very reason.... Font want to be in a situation where the boat sits at the dock and there is no fishing or swimming. When I came across I started seeing tHe little golf ball sized tar balls about 20 miles east of Mobile.... It's working it's way east for sure...I saw it. This has the potential to really screw things up for the summer there and I want no part of it....the pacemaker is happily sitting in fresh water for the fiirst time in her life.... She said Ahhhhhhhhhh

Two weeks then headed to Chattanooga....

Tex

JeffH
06-09-2010, 11:59 AM
yes, rockport is very protected... San Jose Island, then Aransas bay, then Key Allegro, then... Little Bay (where the slips are).