PDA

View Full Version : Rolls Trailer Brakes Question

BLACKIE
06-07-2010, 11:24 AM
I just completed servicing my trailer for the season and I would like to replace the disc brake pads. The problem is I don't know what kind of pads to get or where to get them.

I contacted Rolls Trailers in Florida but since the brakes have been upgraded since they sold the trailer they could not help me.

I've attached a couple of photos of the brake calipers, does anyone know what brand/make they are and where I could get some replacement pads?

I bought this rig from Reddog back in 2003. He upgraded the brakes to disc from drum and I'm sure he would know the answer to my questions. Are you out there Reddog?:crossfing::crossfing:

Thanks in advance...

mrfixxall
06-07-2010, 11:35 AM
I just completed servicing my trailer for the season and I would like to replace the disc brake pads. The problem is I don't know what kind of pads to get or where to get them.

I contacted Rolls Trailers in Florida but since the brakes have been upgraded since they sold the trailer they could not help me.

I've attached a couple of photos of the brake calipers, does anyone know what brand/make they are and where I could get some replacement pads?

I bought this rig from Reddog back in 2003. He upgraded the brakes to disc from drum and I'm sure he would know the answer to my questions. Are you out there Reddog?:crossfing::crossfing:

Thanks in advance...

either tie down or Kodiak,,you will need to pull a tire and look for a name casted in the caliper..

ill tell you one thing for sure is to get rid of that plastic hose going to the caliper before it either bursts under hard pressure or melts from the heat..
their should be rubber hoses going to the caliper then to a steel line..

VetteLT193
06-07-2010, 11:39 AM
they look like Tie Down calipers to me.

RedDog
06-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Tie Downs from Overtons - http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23967

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56621&stc=1&d=1275929969

Cuda
06-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Take one of the pads to Napa or somewhere and have it matched up

Tidbart
06-07-2010, 12:51 PM
ill tell you one thing for sure is to get rid of that plastic hose going to the caliper before it either bursts under hard pressure or melts from the heat..
their should be rubber hoses going to the caliper then to a steel line..

Best listen to what he said or you will regret it.:yes:

MOP
06-07-2010, 01:19 PM
They look like the Tie Downs that I have on mine, they use Chevy Nova pads. If they are Tie Downs take good care of the rotors they think they are GOLD, I spent hours in my local parts house trying to match the offset N/G they are custom for Tie Down. When mine get bad I will shim in or out to get an off the shelf rotor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post a shot of the coupler the TD & Kodiak's look quite different!

I just looked to see if I still had the box with the Nova numbers, I doubt id Novas used many different styles.

BUIZILLA
06-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Tie Downs are junk

Kodiaks are MUCH better

if your in fresh you can get a complete Kodiak kit here >

Trailer Parts Superstore - Recreational, Commercial & Industrial Equipment (http://www.easternmarine.com/shop/)

RedDog
06-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Tie Downs are junk

Kodiaks are MUCH better

if your in fresh you can get a complete Kodiak kit here >

Trailer Parts Superstore - Recreational, Commercial & Industrial Equipment (http://www.easternmarine.com/shop/)

Now you tell me. Where was your advice in 2001 when I put them on Blackie's Rolls

BLACKIE
06-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Now you tell me. Where was your advice in 2001 when I put them on Blackie's Rolls

I'll second that...:doh:

BTW Buizilla, why do you think Kodiak's are better? Is it the "Vented" disc, Tie-downs sell those too? They did seem a little pricy as well.

Also, I was able to locate the correct pads for my Tie-Downs at Overtons for $39 bucks.:kingme:

Cuda
06-07-2010, 06:46 PM
I've been to where they make Rolls. Plant City I think.

mrfixxall
06-07-2010, 06:54 PM
I'll second that...:doh:

BTW Buizilla, why do you think Kodiak's are better? Is it the "Vented" disc, Tie-downs sell those too? They did seem a little pricy as well.

Also, I was able to locate the correct pads for my Tie-Downs at Overtons for $39 bucks.:kingme:

Blackie,just look at the kodiak's ,,thicker rotor and vented,the pads also last longer and are ceramic:)

tiedown's rotors are thin and the brake pads are half the size..

BLACKIE
09-13-2010, 11:59 PM
OK, phase II of the brake saga.
I had decided to wait until the end of the season here in Michigan to replace the disc brakes on my rolls 2160T trailer. This is a tandem axle with brakes on the front axle only. It currently has the Tie-down engineering disk brake package with the plastic lines. I had planned to replace the whole system with vented disc’s and neoprene lines with brass screw together fittings.
Here’s where the fun begins, I started researching trailer brakes and found that there are several brands of vented disks. Tie-down engineering and Kodiak’s seemed to be the most popular. When I started looking I discovered there were many variations on ways to put a brake package together. So, I thought that the trailer manufacturer (Machine Works LLC – Rolls) would be a good place to start so I called them. The gentleman I spoke with said that the Kodiak’s were the best. He then said that he could provide me with a kit that had everything in it I would need to replace my old system. This kit cost $521.80 plus $44.01 for shipping. I thought that was a fair price and I expected that I would get top quality Kodiak parts. I was wrong…
The box came in last Wednesday but I didn’t open it until Saturday morning when I planned to start the job. Everything came in one box that weighed 70pounds. The first clue that there may be a problem was the box really rattled and clanked when I moved it. Low and behold I found that all the parts were in that one box but they were wrapped in one layer of butcher paper. Needless to say just about everything was damaged in some form or another. See the attached photos. Also they included plastic brake lines that they didn’t tell me about when I ordered the kit. I wanted neoprene lines for sure.
I contacted Machine Works this morning and they said they couldn’t understand how everything got damaged and that they were going to “Bring UPS in on this”. I indicated that the parts were not packaged correctly for their weight and size. They still couldn’t understand how thing s got damaged. Finally they said just return everything and they will give me a full refund. Ok, I called UPS and they are going to pick up the box of parts and the “butcher paper” packing material tomorrow morning. I’m assuming they will get in a pissing match with Machine Works over the damage. I think I’m going to get my money back so I’m satisfied with Machine Works for now. Time will tell if I stay satisfied.
Now, what to do? I have confidence that the Kodiak’s are the best calipers and rotors. But I’m having trouble finding a place to buy a “kit” for my trailer. The Kodiak rotors I got from Machine Works don’t have hubs with bearings. They are just rotors. To use those I would have to swap the hubs from my rear axle with the front rotor hubs because the old brakes are one piece rotor hubs.
Questions:
1. OK, I can do that but do I really want to? Other then the extra work involved, what would be the difference between the one piece rotors with hub and just a plain rotor?
2. Where can I buy a “kit” with Kodiak rotors, calipers, good quality neoprene lines, Actuator with a reverse lockout, mounting plates and all the various nuts & bolts required? I have looked on the web and the only place that seems to sell a “kit” is Overtons’. But their kit is all Tie-down engineering stuff. It appears that you really need to know what you are doing to piece together a “kit”. I really don’t know what parts go together and would work on my trailer. The web sites are really not much help in determining what constitutes a viable “kit”.
3. What would be the advantage of steel brake lines? It appears that they would be a lot more work and frustrating to install then the neoprene lines?
I would appreciate all the help you guy can give me. I will post the results of the parts return drama as it unfolds.
Thanks…

BUIZILLA
09-14-2010, 06:21 AM
you forgot my earlier post and source.... :bonk: :lookaroun:

Tidbart
09-14-2010, 11:02 AM
They shipped all that hardware and just wrapped it in newspaper. Incredible.:bonk: What a waste.

B

BLACKIE
09-14-2010, 12:01 PM
you forgot my earlier post and source.... :bonk: :lookaroun:

No, I didn't. I tried looking at their website but they don't have any complete kits except for the Tie-Down Engineering stuff. It's a real problem for someone like me to determine what goes with what and will it fit on my trailer.

That's why I was looking for a package of some sort. Do you think the sales people at that company would be able to spec out a package that would work for my trailer? I don't want something to happen like my last post outlines.

BUIZILLA
09-14-2010, 12:08 PM
they sell cadmium and SS kits, your choice

then you order the actuator of choice

then you order the install kit of choice

really pretty easy when you study their site

then they ship everything,,,,

you might want to call them, i've found them to be VERY helpful

BLACKIE
09-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Ok Jim I will call them as soon as I get the part return problem resolved.

Now, I still have some questions:

What would be the difference between the one piece rotors with hub and just a plain rotor? If I just get the rotors I will have to swap the trailer's rear axle hubs to the front and put the old brakes hubs on the back. Is this worth doing?

What would be the advantage of steel brake lines? It appears that they would be a lot more work and frustrating to install then the neoprene lines?

I'm thinking that the neoprene lines should be perfectly OK and much easier to install?

Your thoughts...

RedDog
09-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Make life simple - just stick with the tie-downs you already have.

How much do you really tow to justify the headaches and expense of swapping to a new system?

mrfixxall
09-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Ok Jim I will call them as soon as I get the part return problem resolved.

Now, I still have some questions:

What would be the difference between the one piece rotors with hub and just a plain rotor? If I just get the rotors I will have to swap the trailer's rear axle hubs to the front and put the old brakes hubs on the back. Is this worth doing?

What would be the advantage of steel brake lines? It appears that they would be a lot more work and frustrating to install then the neoprene lines?

I'm thinking that the neoprene lines should be perfectly OK and much easier to install?

Your thoughts...

Yor cant run steel brake lines to the caliper, the need to move with the braking movement on the caliper..

Look here for the brakes http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=kodiak+trailer+brakes+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=kodiac+trailer+brakes&_rdc=1