PDA

View Full Version : Just got it 18 2+3 71

BubbleBee
06-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Just got it picking up wensday. 1971 2+3 18 found it in CT craigslist. Its yellow with a Black strip 351 W Ford and a volvo drive dont know what model though. What can you guys tell me good bad ugly and one know this specific boat? Thanks
Mike

BubbleBee
06-07-2010, 10:47 AM
couple more for oyu guys
Mike

JimG
06-07-2010, 09:45 PM
My favorite color combo...don't know why!!:wink

Enjoy! Nice rig...

Walt. H.
06-07-2010, 11:06 PM
ConGrat's"
Remember seeing it on Craigs List also maybe about two months back more or less and it might have also been posted here forsale as well.

BubbleBee
06-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Thanks Guys. Hey Jim how do i get one of those on my donzi thats in your Avitar?????. Also need to get a trim motor and get that working. Last can i wet sand and buff the boat? Will it take it or will i just blow threw the gel coat. Boat is all original except the exhaust, cam and intake/carb. Oh yea the scoop to. Hey post some pics of the 2+3's if you have that. And i didnt see it here for sale id like to though see if there is anymore info posted on here
Thanks
Mike

Tony
06-08-2010, 02:03 PM
If it has never been done before you can wet sand the $hit out of your boat with no problems. There is plenty of gel, thanks to the high standards of construction employed by Donzi. I started with a very course grit, 600, and never had a hint of trouble with thin gel.

It's a long and tedious process, but worth the results in my opinion. I've got a thread outlining the details of my "pink hull turned red"...if a search does not show it I'll link it later.

When done I'd recommend the Leverage polish, although others will no doubt have their own philosophy regarding gel and UV protection.

BubbleBee
06-08-2010, 02:11 PM
New finish for the best over all protection ive used everything on everything my 222 stinger my 32 hustler my corvette my 71 SS Nova NuFinish works the best. Also i will be wet sanding the crap out of it then. Its has never been done. Care was taken marginaly with it until now i have it......
-Mike

JimG
06-08-2010, 02:17 PM
What Tony said... tons of gelcoat there... I didn't wet sand mine. I used 3M HD. Painted it on and buffed it off with a wool bonnet. Followed with Rejex...

Just Say N20
06-08-2010, 03:07 PM
He is the listing in the Donzis For Sale section:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58869&highlight=1971

The only word of caution regarding wet sanding; be careful when doing the corners/edges. There is a lot of gel, but it is very easy to sand thru on the corners.

BubbleBee
06-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys your rock!!! im going to print all of these for him and see what happens when i get there with all the differant types of ads he put up. I love that you guys have the listing in your replys as pics thats bomb
-Mike

Tony
06-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Here is the thread outlining my wet-sanding adventure;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45432&highlight=oxidation

:beer:

BubbleBee
06-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Tony how long did it take you?????????

Donzi Vol
06-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Congrats...love the old ones :wink:

Have fun!

Tony
06-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Tony how long did it take you?????????

I think I figured it took me about 60 hours, spread out over a week.

BubbleBee
06-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks Tony and everyone else. Im going to get it tonight and see how much i can do to clean it in a couple hours i have before it gets dark. Then its off to my shop ion the AM and picking up the trim motor tomorrow after work soo hopefully be floating it on sat/sun for a blst and go from there.
-Mike

mattyboy
06-09-2010, 08:24 AM
things to look for in that vintage donzi

besides structural integrity, the fuel tank and system a 71 should have an alum tank which is better than the previous terne tanks, but the biggie is going to be the fuel lines in the system. looks like the motor has been re done so if the fuel lines are newer they might be ethanol compatible. ethanol eats old rubber hose and gaskets

now that i have scared the crap out of you comes the good part. the volvo and 351w will give you many years of service keep the fluids fresh and you should have a turn the key and go boat.
my 351w volvo lasted 41 years from what i hear the boat now rests in pieces nbut that's a different story

things i would think about

getting a solas prop from grizzly

a nose cone to help the prop

check all the connection points in the volvo helmet steering fork area to eliminate all possible slop

hope that helps, these are just a few things oh btw the lift motor can be found on ebay
if you have any questions please ask also if you have any serial numbers off the drive or motor or hull numbers that would help as well

Matty
Lake George Donzi Classic Club

BubbleBee
06-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks Matt i will check all that tonight when I get there. You cant get me to squimish about these things im redoing a 35 Cafe race. And i just did a32 Hustler LE OffShore. so this is childs play but i always loved havoing a small boat around to grab it and blast with when ever i want instead of having to plan things seeing as 35 feet of washing flushing and waxing is a paint in the nuts to do often. I will also get all the numbers and info i can so that you guys can help me decifer it
Thanks again
Mike

Planetwarmer
06-09-2010, 07:54 PM
I think I figured it took me about 60 hours, spread out over a week.

So, how is the paint holding up? The previous owner of my boat cleared the deck and transom of mine. It looks great all the time. That may be a good idea for you if your boat still looks good. I hear that when paint oxidizes, it is permanently damaged and will oxidize more easily.