PDA

View Full Version : Donzi gets the blame for hit and run!

fasttrucker
06-07-2010, 09:33 AM
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/232127-hit-run-md-weekend.html I think this stinks!:shocking:

VetteLT193
06-07-2010, 09:38 AM
white and champagne color?

mrfixxall
06-07-2010, 11:23 AM
it states DONZI TYPE BOAT? could have been a 4winns for all we know?

fasttrucker
06-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Maybe the guy is a sailboater who hates donzi,s.It could be a insurance scam.:frown:

RPD
06-07-2010, 02:13 PM
i'm a sailboat owner and a donzi owner, both for many years... they're not mutually exclusive and prejudice goes both ways...

RPD
06-07-2010, 02:16 PM
also ... as the operator of the boat, power or sail or rowboat, it's your responsibility not to hit anything or anyone, regardless of how stupid they might be ...

i often come home from dinner after dark only to encounter pwc's (they are not legal after dark and have no lights) or unlighted fishing boats ... but if i hit them at 50+ it's still my fault!!!

Ghost
06-07-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm not too worried about the wording. To be honest, I'm surprised. Usually it's "cigarette" boat, regardless of make and of course rarely a Cigarette.

Pretty close to my home port. I didn't hear about it until Sunday.

MOP
06-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Since so many gave up smoking "Cigarettes" are not mentioned much anymore!

The Hedgehog
06-07-2010, 08:55 PM
i'm a sailboat owner and a donzi owner, both for many years... they're not mutually exclusive and prejudice goes both ways...

I love to sail too. Nothing like a day with a strong wind.

I will say the sail boaters have more than one or two stereotypes. Most of them I know are cool with it. Some like to look down their noses. Most love a good time though. The ones that hate power boats? I don't get them.

No, not mutually exclusive.

Ghost
06-07-2010, 09:16 PM
I love to sail too. Nothing like a day with a strong wind...

No, not mutually exclusive.

Strongly agreed. Both rock.

Some like to look down their noses.
Yep. And the only time I've ever been in a boat accident so far, knock wood, was when a lubberly sailboat captain misjudged the wind, panicked, and rammed a Hinckley Bermuda 40 into my Nova, while I was tied up at the fuel dock. Plenty of morons in both camps.

I will say the sail boaters have more than one or two stereotypes.

The Greaseman's "sailboat women vs powerboat women" comes to mind.

"For your birthday, a sailboat woman gives you:

a subscription to Omni.
A powerboat woman gives you:

menage a trois..."

Planetwarmer
06-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Our J-24 has a 2.5 Johnson outboard. The best of both worlds!!!:yes::party::kingme:

Walt. H.
06-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Being run over is like being shot at, you're going to be in tunnel vision mode so at best all the victim saw was spray - gurgling noises and mayby lifting strakes before he dove deep for cover, unless there was a witness that seen the situation unfold?
Ultimately the power boat operator would not have felt a thing unless it was a fatal mid section thump to the torso with the sterndrive..
I've hit floating 2X6's that are much harder then a human body off centered at speed and never felt or heard a sound but only knew it because I spotted it at the last moment and couldn't side step it fast enough..

It didn't say how far the swimmer was from his anchored sailboat, so that would be the deciding factor of negligence or not to the powerboat that hit him.

The Hedgehog
06-08-2010, 06:02 AM
Strongly agreed. Both rock.

Yep. And the only time I've ever been in a boat accident so far, knock wood, was when a lubberly sailboat captain misjudged the wind, panicked, and rammed a Hinckley Bermuda 40 into my Nova, while I was tied up at the fuel dock. Plenty of morons in both camps.

The Greaseman's "sailboat women vs powerboat women" comes to mind.

"For your birthday, a sailboat woman gives you:

a subscription to Omni.
A powerboat woman gives you:

menage a trois..."

The women comparison....now that is beautiful. But true

jl1962
06-09-2010, 04:58 PM

If you're gonna get hit, at least the guy w/ a Hinckley can afford to make you whole!

Morons in both camps? I do a ton of sailing - and all I can say is Amen :wink:

Barry Eller
06-13-2010, 07:14 AM
It didn't say how far the swimmer was from his anchored sailboat, so that would be the deciding factor of negligence or not to the powerboat that hit him.

I agree. If the powerboat was heading into the sun it would also contribute to the accident. Water skiers and divers have flags to display when in the water. I have a dive flag I display when swimming or snorkeling around my boat.

HOWARD O
06-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Here's an article with a photo of a "like" boat. Not really a Donzi type boat.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/outdoors/blog/2010/06/police_following_tips_on_hitan.html

It's a shame the man was hit. But if he were fairly far away from his boat and in any kind of choppy sea, I'd say it'd be very reasonable that the operator of the powerboat didn't even know that he had hit someone at all. If that were the case, I think the swimmer was negligent here.

Barry Eller
06-13-2010, 07:45 PM
According to the above article...

The area of the Chesapeake Bay at Thomas Point between Fishing Creek and South River is popular on weekends, attracting a motley flotilla ranging from small sailboats and personal watercraft to lightning-fast cigarette boats and fishing boats.

There you go....tagging go fast boats as "Cigarettes".

mc donzi
06-14-2010, 08:24 AM
also ... as the operator of the boat, power or sail or rowboat, it's your responsibility not to hit anything or anyone, regardless of how stupid they might be ...

i often come home from dinner after dark only to encounter pwc's (they are not legal after dark and have no lights) or unlighted fishing boats ... but if i hit them at 50+ it's still my fault!!!

50+ after dark????....... Hmmm

RPD
06-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Of course .... Usually 40 - 45 across the bay and then 50 - 55 in the bayou .... I try to avoid completely moonless nights, though...

joseph m. hahnl
06-14-2010, 05:17 PM
http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id=6313e7b4-639b-4c65-ba3b-a8f02abe9b95

thehow33
06-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Of course .... Usually 40 - 45 across the bay and then 50 - 55 in the bayou .... I try to avoid completely moonless nights, though...

yikes

Carl C
06-15-2010, 09:26 PM
http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id=6313e7b4-639b-4c65-ba3b-a8f02abe9b95

A 22C; Nothing like the "Donzi-type" boat in the other stories. And pics right from Donzi's web site. WTF? How do they know it was a Donzi at all?

mattyboy
06-16-2010, 07:42 AM
The reporter said that witnesses ID'd the boat, so i would imagine they saw donzi on it somewhere or it would have been labeled a "cigarette" type boat. also very telling video the investigating officer gave a big hint when he said the speed boat passed much to close. each state has navigation laws on the safe distance to pass an boat anchored, or a vessel not under command, or how close to the shoreline you can be when on plane. I would bet Maryland has something on the books. The next biggie would be if the hit and run driver knew he hit something or not and if he did why he did not stop and render aid.

as an example if it happened in most NY waters the giveway distance to stay on plane with an anchored boat, or a boat not under command ( ide or drifting) would be 100 feet and in some NY waters 200 feet.

zelatore
06-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Without going back to review all the previous posts, how do we know the "Donzi" was only 50 feet from the sailboat? That's REALLY close to pass a stationary boat when you're on plane, no doubt, but is the only word we have about that the guy who was hit?

I'm not saying the (unknown) powerboat wasn't 100% at fault here. I've seen plenty of people do stupid things, but we've all seen plenty of exaggeration in the telling of a story as well. Could be a biker accused of 'flying through traffic' when in fact he was only going a little faster than the crowd, but the fact he was on a sport bike caused a certain perception. Could be a large boat being docked and 'nearly crushing' some small boat in the marina - when in fact the large boat captain knew full well what he was doing and performed in a safe and controlled manner but the outside viewer lacked the knowledge and point of view to properly judge what was happening. Or it could be a 'speedboat' passing 'right beside' a sailboat when in fact if viewed from the helm of that speed boat you'd realize he wasn't in fact that close at all.

Basically, I'd just like more than the word of the sailor that was hit, that's all.

If I'm wrong and there were a dozen witnesses, then I'm sorry about the rant.