PDA

View Full Version : Speedo with Imco shorty?

Titan
06-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Just wondering if anyone who has installed an Imco shorty has their speedo reading properly? Since i put it on the speedo barely reads! WOT it reads about 30MPH! (haha, yes I'm going faster than that!!) There is no hole in the front of the leg like the stock bravo. There is a passage that comes up through the leg like the stock one but must get fed from inside the low water pick up??? Would install a GPS speedo but already run a Garmin chart plotter with GPS speed. Would be nice to have the speedo reading again!!

gcarter
06-07-2010, 06:52 AM
Bathing suits again?:wink:

Buy yourself a nice Bourdon tube type, liquid filled speedometer, and get yourself a Gaffrig or Livorsi pitot pickup and bracket to mount on the trasom.
I think Carl did that to his using the existing hose from the gimbal and ran it to the new pitot.
They're often available on eBay.

Carl C
06-07-2010, 07:26 AM
It can't be done. There are folks who tell you it can but I called Imco and spoke to others in the know and it can't be done! If you want to keep your stock speedo you need a pitot. Might as well get the best like I did. It will spring up if it catches too much debris instead of ripping off the boat! Or you can install a GPS speedo but then you need to mount the antenna "puck" somewhere too. BTW my stock speedo reads about 2 mph high. Not bad and looks impressive to the passengers ;).

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=501234&postcount=93

Planetwarmer
06-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Yep! The problem with GPS speedos is, they dont lie!

thehow33
06-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Or you can install a GPS speedo but then you need to mount the antenna "puck" somewhere too.

I connected my garmin to my gps speedo and it works great. I don't need an antenna.

Titan
06-08-2010, 08:57 AM
I connected my garmin to my gps speedo and it works great. I don't need an antenna

Thats cool, is there an interface cable you need to get? How did you do that? The pitot carl has is about $235, a gps speedo head is about $300 which isnt too much different but the gps speedo kit is $500-600! Thats a little farther than I am wanting to go.

thehow33
06-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Thats cool, is there an interface cable you need to get? How did you do that? The pitot carl has is about $235, a gps speedo head is about $300 which isnt too much different but the gps speedo kit is $500-600! Thats a little farther than I am wanting to go.

This is extremely easy and took a total of around 5mins.
When you buy your gps speedo make sure you still get the wire that would normally go to the speedo's antenna. You will cut it short and connect the orange wire to your garmins blue wire. Then you have to change the communication settings in your garmin. Set the baud rate to 4800 and turn on NMEA output. Also, make this your #1 comm port. It wouldn't work when I had it set to the #2 comm port.
If you have any issues call me 708-702-0301, Howie.
Here is a thread about it.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62007

Titan
06-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the responses boys! Think I will order a speedo and wire it to my chart plotter. Just not sure it will come with the cable, looks like it might come attatched to the antenna??? Thanks again!!!!