PDA

View Full Version : Bravo I Repair Question

RedDog
06-06-2010, 10:11 AM
I have an oil leak between the drive upper and the top cover (item 12 in diagram). I assume the o-ring is the problem - or maybe it just needs to be torqued down? But, I don't know what kind of socket to use for the bolts (item 16) that tighten the cover down. It is not a standard bolt head pattern. None of my tools fit it. What kind of socket do I need and what size?
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56597&stc=1&d=1275836836

DonziJon
06-06-2010, 10:34 AM
I think you need a "Torx" socket.

mrfixxall
06-06-2010, 12:07 PM
I have an oil leak between the drive upper and the top cover (item 12 in diagram). I assume the o-ring is the problem - or maybe it just needs to be torqued down? But, I don't know what kind of socket to use for the bolts (item 16) that tighten the cover down. It is not a standard bolt head pattern. None of my tools fit it. What kind of socket do I need and what size?
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56597&stc=1&d=1275836836

3/8 12 point socket,torque to 20 ft/lbs..make sure you use perma seal on the o ring and make sure theirs no corrosion where the seal sits..

RedDog
06-06-2010, 12:17 PM
3/8 12 point socket,torque to 20 ft/lbs..make sure you use perma seal on the o ring and make sure theirs no corrosion where the seal sits..

bingo - http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/1/1/12673-screws-bolts-mcm-thermostat-housing-alpha-bravo-top-cover-screw.html

gcarter
06-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Sears has a nice selection.
I luck out and had one, or a whole set of them.

RedDog
06-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I replaced o-ring # 15 and found that o-ring # 7 MAY have been out of its groove (or did I do that during the un-buttoning of the top cover?). It did not have any of the # 17 washers. Put it back together with no # 17 washers, # 7 o-ring back in place, and a new # 15 o-ring. It is still weeping oil. I'll get the washers and a new # 7 o-ring. Would lack of the washers cause the leak? The # 7 o-ring looked good.

PS - I had this drive re-sealed over the winter because it was leaking into the gimbal bearing bellows. Would they have touched this top cover at the same service?

gcarter
06-07-2010, 06:02 PM
I don't think the washers do more than spreading the load and eliminating the twisting of the SST screws on the aluminum cap.
I think it might be worthwhile replacing all the rubber pieces, and maybe Mr. Fixall will suggest a sealer to use.
At the same time, check for any warpage of the cap w/a good straightedge.

mrfixxall
06-07-2010, 07:02 PM
I replaced o-ring # 15 and found that o-ring # 7 MAY have been out of its groove (or did I do that during the un-buttoning of the top cover?). It did not have any of the # 17 washers. Put it back together with no # 17 washers, # 7 o-ring back in place, and a new # 15 o-ring. It is still weeping oil. I'll get the washers and a new # 7 o-ring. Would lack of the washers cause the leak? The # 7 o-ring looked good.

PS - I had this drive re-sealed over the winter because it was leaking into the gimbal bearing bellows. Would they have touched this top cover at the same service?

RedDog, run a knife sharpening stone (fine side)over all the surfaces and keep it as flat as possible in a criss cross motion...what happens is their is allot of pressure on that top cap but mainly in reverse, or if someone over tightened it it will slightly lift the threads and you have to block the top surface of the drive to get it flat..
also do the same thing to the top cap,it will do the same where the bolts go through..

Its a joke how thin that seal is.. and yes when they seal your drive that is part of the service..