PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha boats

Schnook
06-02-2010, 09:22 PM
A friend of mine asked me to help him with his purchase of a Yamaha 242 Limited S. I don't know anything about them, so any info or pointers I could get would be great.

VetteLT193
06-03-2010, 07:01 AM
The new one? If it is, cool boat. I am partial to Sea Doo over Yamaha myself but this particular Yammy is probably the best they have ever made.

Versatile is the main word. Great boat for a fun day on the water to do just about anything.

If he is going new, the big downside is there are faaaar better deals out there. I think these things are like 50k.

DonziJon
06-03-2010, 12:53 PM
180 HP from 110 Cubic Inches indicates it's a two stroke, but nowhwere in any of the reviews I read does it say Two Stroke.

I ran across a couple of kids in an earlier model a few years ago. I think the engines then were 130 HP each. The kids wanted to have a go, so I obliged them with the Minx. That Yamaha was pretty impressive. I had never seen one before and HAD to find out more about them once I got home.

I didn't have any problem walking away from them.... I think they might have done a little better, but I suspect they were actually a little Afraid of their boat. They were catching a lot of air going over boat wakes. :bonk:

mrfixxall
06-03-2010, 01:10 PM
one thing i cn say is ,reliable!! if he is looking at the older modeld suggest to him to opt for the newer 4stroke model..way faster and cheeper to run..the 4 stroke will top around 70 mph..

DonziJon
06-03-2010, 02:15 PM
I just took a look at the Yamaha Website. Apparently these motors ARE 4 Stroke. :bonk: None of the reviews from the boating mags mention this.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/boat/products/modelspecs/630/0/specs.aspx

Fluffy Foo-Foo
06-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Not sure on the Yammies, but on the Sea-doo's DO NOT SUCK UP A SKI ROPE into the impeller!
It will cost you more than you think! Need to remove the jet drive to fix it!
:shocking:

Barry Eller
06-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Not sure on the Yammies, but on the Sea-doo's DO NOT SUCK UP A SKI ROPE into the impeller!
It will cost you more than you think! Need to remove the jet drive to fix it!
:shocking:

They will also suck up any vegetation in the water. Some have a pump bowl access inside the boat to remove debris. The jet boat I had didn't and I would have to go over the side and under the boat to remove seaweed and such. I took my jet boat to Crystal River, Fl to dive with manatees and was constantly having to clear out the intake. They will also use more fuel than my 502 BBC!!!

Fluffy Foo-Foo
06-04-2010, 02:34 PM
They will also suck up any vegetation in the water. Some have a pump bowl access inside the boat to remove debris. The jet boat I had didn't and I would have to go over the side and under the boat to remove seaweed and such. I took my jet boat to Crystal River, Fl to dive with manatees and was constantly having to clear out the intake. They will also use more fuel than my 502 BBC!!!

The Berkley pump I had had a handhole cover to get you just past the impeller. Made it a LITTLE easier.
The Sea-doo dosn't have squat! They have to remove the entire jet drive I believe!!!:bonk:

wrussellw
06-04-2010, 05:19 PM
I have a lot of experience with both Seadoo and Yamaha. The Yamaha has easy to get to strainers to clear debris, the Seadoo not. They both are fuel hogs and are not a good FIRST boat. They have no true neutral and well in reverse everything IS reversed. You really need to try before you buy when it comes to these boats. Also the resale is brutal, so definitely used in my opinion.

Cuda
06-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Is the Yamaha an outboard?

Cuda
06-05-2010, 08:21 AM
There is a 2007 VX 110 Deluxe for sale on Craig's List in New Smyrna Beach for $5500.

VetteLT193
06-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Personally, I think jet boats are an excellent first boat.

There is no prop to worry about which is a major plus for safety. They draw less water which is always easier. You can steer in neutral so docking is an absolute breeze for a newbie as long as they take their time. There is no transmission to blow. The new Sea Doos are closed cooled with a very unique system so they are much more reliable and easier to maintain.

I had a Sea Doo Speedster and it was one of the best boats I ever owned. I did everything from skiing to fishing to cruising and it was just a fantastic boat.

Gas mileage is the biggest ding against them. I never had a problem with weeds for some reason. I do know others have had problems and that might be a factor depending on location. When things got questionable I slowed down and ran on one engine. that seemed to alleviate any potential issue. I never sucked up a ski rope but was super careful as you have to be in any boat.

Cuda
06-05-2010, 03:07 PM
I had two Jet Skis that I only liked for exploring on the Suwanee River. Other than that, it was about as exciting as mowing the lawn.