PDA

View Full Version : Bravo vs. Alpha Question

Mckillop
06-02-2010, 04:26 PM
In the process of having a stroked 383 built for our 18C and we were planning on just going with a new Alpha drive to go along with it because the original one was destroyed. However, today I was talking with Orca Marine who built the closed cooling system that has been on the boat and they said that an Alpha drive can't deliver enough volume of water to keep a high output motor cool??? Does that make sense to anyone? If I need to upgrade the drive to a Bravo I will, but with so many people running Alpha's with high HP motors, this is the first time I have heard about this problem.

My next question is, since we have to replace the entire outdrive assembly, should I be doing a Bravo anyways considering the additional power that will be made from the motor, or would a new Alpha be sufficient with 400+ft lbs of torque? I know that you have to be ginger with the throttle, but I was under the impression that an Alpha would still hold up.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

fogducker III
06-02-2010, 06:03 PM
In the process of having a stroked 383 built for my 18C and we were planning on just going with a new Alpha drive to go along with it because the original one was destroyed. However, today I was talking with Orca Marine who built the closed cooling system that has been on the boat and they said that an Alpha drive can't deliver enough volume of water to keep a high output motor cool??? Does that make sense to anyone? If I need to upgrade the drive to a Bravo I will, but with so many people running Alpha's with high HP motors, this is the first time I have heard about this problem.

My next question is, since we have to replace the entire outdrive assembly, should I be doing a Bravo anyways considering the additional power that will be made from the motor, or would a new Alpha be sufficient with 400+ft lbs of torque? I know that you have to be ginger with the throttle, but I was under the impression that an Alpha would still hold up.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

An Alpha would work fine but if you are doing the whole "sha-bang" anyhow, go with the Bravo...IMO.

CaribouLou
06-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Bravo bravo bravo

gcarter
06-02-2010, 06:50 PM
I was told the same thing by an engineer at San Juan.
My answer (because I wasn't about to buy a Bravo for it) was to add a transom pickup to bypass the drive altogether, and a crank driven seawater pump.
BTW, this solution worked beautifully

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24272&d=1159816499

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34764&d=1205500979

Anyway, the solution was very successful and what could have been several thousands less than a Bravo.

Of course if you're always pushing it, buy the Bravo. But if you drive carefully, the Alpha will hold up very well and they're faster (smaller, less parasite drag, better hydrodynamically) than a Bravo.

The Hedgehog
06-02-2010, 08:26 PM
I was told the same thing by an engineer at San Juan.
My answer (because I wasn't about to buy a Bravo for it) was to add a transom pickup to bypass the drive altogether, and a crank driven seawater pump.
BTW, this solution worked beautifully

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24272&d=1159816499

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34764&d=1205500979

Anyway, the solution was very successful and what could have been several thousands less than a Bravo.

Of course if you're always pushing it, buy the Bravo. But if you drive carefully, the Alpha will hold up very well and they're faster (smaller, less parasite drag, better hydrodynamically) than a Bravo.

That is a great solution George. Good thinking.

MOP
06-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Stick with the Alpha take it from someone who did not, the Bravo will cost you over 2mph. I wish I still had my Alpha, I could blow several before I would make up the cost of the Bravo switch. If you do puke the Alpha put the after market Alpha on which carries a 3 year warranty. Look at all the heavy cruisers out the running Alphas weighing at 5-6 times what you weigh. Got to the crank pump and a shower and enjoy!

Phil