PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Tips

fasttrucker
06-02-2010, 10:18 AM
I bought these Angled Cut Hardin Marine 316 stainless exhaust tips from CP Performance.They can be also a silencer slip-in.I did not buy the silencers and it will be used as a straight through exhaust.Ill sell the corsa mufflers that donzi installed.Has anyone used these?

The Hedgehog
06-02-2010, 10:41 AM
No, but make sure that the internal flappers are the heavy duty kind. I used some of the cheaper EMI tips and blow out the flappers once I started using boost.

gcarter
06-02-2010, 01:27 PM
The slash cut w/the heavy duty SST flappers will preclude the use of most, if not all, of the slip ins. The bottom of the pipe will be too short to allow the insert to go all the way in. Straight cuts have more room inside.

MOP
06-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I had a set and just about gave then away, watch yourself when working around the transom they will draw massive quantities of blood in a heart beat! They look cool but are a weapon!

gcarter
06-02-2010, 09:13 PM
I had a set and just about gave then away, watch yourself when working around the transom they will draw massive quantities of blood in a heart beat! They look cool but are a weapon!

Yes, I have scars on my head. :nilly:

VetteLT193
06-03-2010, 06:55 AM
The good news is with the integrated platform the tips are tough to bump your head on. lots of other stuff to beat yourself up with though.

I'm curious about something on a related note. If you have silent choice and no flappers wouldn't any water that got into the exhaust pipe just drain down the Y pipe?

I ask because I have seen a bunch of 28 ZX's with no flappers. At first I was shocked because the tips hang just above the water, and dip into the water with any waves. But seeing many like that I'm wondering if the water just dumps down the Y and it makes no difference.

The Hedgehog
06-03-2010, 08:09 AM
The good news is with the integrated platform the tips are tough to bump your head on. lots of other stuff to beat yourself up with though.
I'm curious about something on a related note. If you have silent choice and no flappers wouldn't any water that got into the exhaust pipe just drain down the Y pipe?
I ask because I have seen a bunch of 28 ZX's with no flappers. At first I was shocked because the tips hang just above the water, and dip into the water with any waves. But seeing many like that I'm wondering if the water just dumps down the Y and it makes no difference.

My guess it that it would depend on the cam. My 383 mag probably has the same cam as your 377's. I was highly encouraged to use flappers but told I could get away without them as long as I don't back into a wave. I did the external.

I was a slash tip snob when I started in ZX land. After lots of cuts, tip polishing and blowing out internal flappers, I got over it. Additionally, I mostly keep me boat on a lift so it just was not worth it. If I trailered my boat, I may still be fighting the battle.

fasttrucker
06-03-2010, 09:51 AM
The slash cut w/the heavy duty SST flappers will preclude the use of most, if not all, of the slip ins. The bottom of the pipe will be too short to allow the insert to go all the way in. Straight cuts have more room inside.
They sell them and say they use the slip-ins.So Iam sure they will work.

fasttrucker
06-03-2010, 09:55 AM
The swim platform will keep me from hitting them:bonk:.Really no one will see them unless the boat is on the trailer.Also,I might be removing the silent choice later-on.If I put in a 600+ motor they will have to go.:yes:But the tips will stay unless I have to run double walled staight pipes like I did in my old 28zx.