PDA

View Full Version : Water Stains...

JeffH
06-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Not performance.

Guys, My boats sits overnight sometimes and I get a water stain at the water line (from line down the hull is stained). I can get it off with Hull Bright, but is there any way to protect it from getting stained in the first place?

Thanks,

JH

HOWARD O
06-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Leave it in cleaner water? :wink:

I think that's just the penalty you pay for leaving it in the water, unfortunately. Keeping a good coat of wax/polish will help to remove it, but I don't think there's much you're going to do to repel the scum in the first place.

JeffH
06-02-2010, 07:38 AM
I was afraid that would be the answer... I'd love to pull it out each night but where we go, Rockport, Tx, we have this thing called booze cruising... many, many hours spent cruising the many canals lined with homes (at idle, of course!).

You never know when the cruise calls!!:wink:

Thanks,

Jeff

VetteLT193
06-02-2010, 08:04 AM
I get it sometimes on single trips out. depends on tides and the junk in the water. best way to be able to clean it is to make sure the surface is a smooth as possible.

Ghost
06-02-2010, 06:46 PM
YES. You can keep it from getting stained in the first place.

If it's gelcoat, and the stain is that brown, brackish stain, I'd say try a good waxing after it's cleaned and FSR'd, with no stains left. With good wax on it, you can just use a brush and some water to clean it right up.

Waxing it in advance of the stuff getting on it makes all the difference in the world.

Fail to wax it and you'll end up needing FSR or some other thing to remove the stain.

Mike

Tidbart
06-03-2010, 06:21 AM
Amazing Roll-Off cleans the stain easily and helps prevent it from coming back the next time. Hundreds of other uses also. Buy the gallon and a good spray bottle. Cleans engines, tires, wheels, mold, mildew, canvas, etc. Wouldn't boat without it.

Bob

Cuda
06-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Sno Bowl and just hose it off. I've done it a bunch of times. Everyone will tell you it's bad for you gelcoat. I had the boat over 20 years and never had a problem using Sno-Bowl.