PDA

View Full Version : Need help and advise on installing new windlass

Richard66
06-01-2010, 08:07 PM
I recently purchased a 2009 35 ZFC and want to install a windlass. I have been told different stories from diferent folks and wanted to get some feedback from you long time Donzi owners who has installed one. Chuck over at Donzi Marine told me that the best way to go about it is to re-inforce the door where the chain and rope is stored and to install it in the door itself. He says they are having problems on the factory set up that is installed in front of the door and the rope and chain frequently gets caught in the V part. Any feedback, comments and advise would be greatly appreciated.

zelatore
06-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I don't know that particular boat, but I've installed a windlass or two...

I'm assuming if you mount the windlass ahead of the chain locker hatch there's just not much room for the rode to drop into the locker, right? If that's the case then yes, I would expect the rode to jam more often.

Ideally, you should have the windlass drop the rode as close to the center of the locker as possible so it has room to spread out. Sometimes you can get away with running the chain through a short length of PVC pipe to direct it to the middle of the locker, but you still need a pretty good drop on that PVC to make sure gravity will pull it back down. This doesn't work as well with rope rodes as they simply don't weigh as much as chain.

Even though this is a small boat and you'll be running fairly light weight anchor tackle, I wouldn't want to attach the windlass to the hatch. First, it would make it a PITA to open the hatch - suppose you had a jam with half your rode deployed - now it will be a real mess trying to open the hatch to unjam the rode while you've got the weight of the windlass and however much chain/rope deployed. Then think about the stresses put on that hatch from the weight of the windlass when you're pounding along in big seas. Or even worse, the strain of the line pulling against the windlass when you're trying to break a stuck anchor free. No matter how much you reinforce the hatch itself, it's still only held on by it's hinges. What are they attached to/by? A handful of 1" #10 screws? You could conceivably pull the whole thing right off the deck.

One note, no matter where you mount the windlass you're not supposed to use it to hold the boat. You should take a short line and snub the rode off to a well-backed bow cleat. If you do put it on hatch, this will be a must!

Like I said at the outset, I don't know this particular boat. But putting it on the hatch seems pretty half-assed to me. I'd start by looking into using a piece of PVC to direct the chain.

VetteLT193
06-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Have you used a windlass before? what is your reason for wanting one?

In my experience they work great for lifting the anchor. They have to be baby sat though. Any thought of remote control setup is a unicorn. Every anchor should be either safety secured and/or pinned down so you have to go to the bow anyway. The only ones that work semi-effortless are the ones that use all chain. Then you have a ton of weight in the bow, and in my opinion, an unsafe anchor because you can't cut the chain in emergency situations.

Anyway... bottom line is on a 35 footer... I'd spend the dough on a good Fortress / Guardian anchor that is light weight and skip the windlass.

The Hedgehog
06-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Have you used a windlass before? what is your reason for wanting one?
In my experience they work great for lifting the anchor. They have to be baby sat though. Any thought of remote control setup is a unicorn. Every anchor should be either safety secured and/or pinned down so you have to go to the bow anyway. The only ones that work semi-effortless are the ones that use all chain. Then you have a ton of weight in the bow, and in my opinion, an unsafe anchor because you can't cut the chain in emergency situations.
Anyway... bottom line is on a 35 footer... I'd spend the dough on a good Fortress / Guardian anchor that is light weight and skip the windlass.

I disagree.

If you anchor a bunch, going without a windlass is a PITA and lots of systems have remote controls. I would probably not use the remote control on a center console though.

Plenty of good combo systems these days that will take a rope. You will have to spent a little cash.

Oh yeah, make sure that you have decent balance when standing on the front. Vette is right that you have to somewhat babysit one.

BUIZILLA
06-02-2010, 10:52 AM
I put a remote system on my Cary... still trying to remember what brand, but it was very powerful and compact...

zelatore
06-02-2010, 01:42 PM
I too agree that a windlass is a must-have if you anchor much on anything bigger than a trailer boat. I'd never consider NOT having one on my 32 Carver. Granted, that's a cruising boat vs the 35 ZFC which may be longer but is certainly not 'bigger'.

As for all chain vs all rope vs combination, if I have a windlass I prefer all chain when I can because it drastically reduces swinging room and you can run less scope. The downside is weight and cost, and in an emergency not being able to cut the line easily. Personally, I run a combo of 20' chain and 150' rope on my 32, with a 45 lb Delta anchor.

I too have a remote (plus bow mounted foot controls) and have used them on many boats. If you are running the boat single handed, it's pretty much a must-have. After all, when retrieving an anchor you drive the boat to it, you don't use the windlass to pull the boat to the anchor. That little electric motor is designed to lift a few hundred pounds, not pull 10's of thousands of pounds. I rarely have any jamming issues with mine, but it does happen from time to time. Typically, just reversing the unit a little bit clears the jam. A couple times I've actually had to go below and open the locker to untangle something, but that's the exception. Typically, I run the boat from the helm while my girlfriend stands on the bow where she can see the rode. She tells me which way to go while using the foot switches to retrieve the anchor. 90% of the time, it works flawlessly.

If all you want is an emergency or occasional anchor, get a Fortress or similar with a couple hundred feet of 3-strand nylon and forget the windlass. I have something along these lines myself as an emergency and/or stern anchor. But if you're really planning to anchor out much a windlass is more necessity than luxury.

MOP
06-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Having installed more than my fair share mounting on a hatch spooks me, I have had customers pull the backer block up through the deck. You always have to think of the possible extreme, you can never tell when the Chit will hit the fan. Shoot a few deck shots and a few of the under side & locker area to give us a few ideas, there are few guys up here that have done it as their job. At all cost "Do Not Listen to The Hobbyists!".

Phil