PDA

View Full Version : oil and water

mattyboy
05-29-2010, 09:49 AM
so how long would it take water to totally seperate from 90w drive oil??

if it makes a difference it is salt water?

gcarter
05-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Oh no!:nilly::boggled:

Tell me it isn't so!

mrfixxall
05-29-2010, 10:38 AM
so how long would it take water to totally seperate from 90w drive oil??

if it makes a difference it is salt water?

Matty,i going back about 6 yrs,,i had a customer drop his boat off that was from Florida..well he didn't know about winterizing his boat so the block was cracked..it was a chevy/volvo combo,i pulled the engine and found broken ujount that destroyed the intermediate housing also...lons story short the guy forgot about his boat and i made him put it in storage until he came up with the money for the repairs..so 6 yrs later no carlos, mia owed me money for all the removal work,cant find him anywhere so i decided to take his lower unit apart to recoup some of my money and i didn't want to sell junk...i pulled the plug and salt water came out..i thought wow 6yrs and still had water in it and the lower unit sat in my shop hi and dry..surprisingly the salt water did not effect ant of the internal parts,no rust or corrosion ant where so i would say flush it and run it..

DonziJon
05-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Go to your local smoke shop and buy one of those fancy Cigars that come in a Glass tube. Remove the cigar and put it aside. Pour in a little salt water....and an equal amount of drive oil. You want to try and limit the amount of Drive Oil because it's pretty expensive.

Put your finger over the top of the tube and shake it vigorously until your arm gets tired. Now set the glass tube in a water glass half full of sand to keep the tube from tipping over while you wait for the oil to float to the top.

Now light up the cigar and enjoy. :wink:

MOP
05-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Go to your local smoke shop and buy one of those fancy Cigars that come in a Glass tube. Remove the cigar and put it aside. Pour in a little salt water....and an equal amount of drive oil. You want to try and limit the amount of Drive Oil because it's pretty expensive.

Put your finger over the top of the tube and shake it vigorously until your arm gets tired. Now set the glass tube in a water glass half full of sand to keep the tube from tipping over while you wait for the oil to float to the top.

Now light up the cigar and enjoy. :wink:

I like your thinking except you forgot the "Cool One"!!

Cuda
05-30-2010, 07:57 AM
If the oil has emulsified in the water, it will never separate.

mattyboy
05-30-2010, 08:02 AM
Matty,i going back about 6 yrs,,i had a customer drop his boat off that was from Florida..well he didn't know about winterizing his boat so the block was cracked..it was a chevy/volvo combo,i pulled the engine and found broken ujount that destroyed the intermediate housing also...lons story short the guy forgot about his boat and i made him put it in storage until he came up with the money for the repairs..so 6 yrs later no carlos, mia owed me money for all the removal work,cant find him anywhere so i decided to take his lower unit apart to recoup some of my money and i didn't want to sell junk...i pulled the plug and salt water came out..i thought wow 6yrs and still had water in it and the lower unit sat in my shop hi and dry..surprisingly the salt water did not effect ant of the internal parts,no rust or corrosion ant where so i would say flush it and run it..

that 's what happened to me about a cup of water came out first, then the 2 1/2 qts of oil which had no kibbles and bits,
I have refilled it and found no leaks I did replaced the washers on the dipstick and drain screws. I thought the oil would show some sign of water intursion after being stirred up by the gears? and was surprised that even 8 ounces of water would hold up 2 1/2 qts of 90w.

so i am going to run it and see what happens I have a spare 250 that should bolt upto the 280t housing if things don't go well.

mrfixxall
05-30-2010, 12:49 PM
that 's what happened to me about a cup of water came out first, then the 2 1/2 qts of oil which had no kibbles and bits,
I have refilled it and found no leaks I did replaced the washers on the dipstick and drain screws. I thought the oil would show some sign of water intursion after being stirred up by the gears? and was surprised that even 8 ounces of water would hold up 2 1/2 qts of 90w.

so i am going to run it and see what happens I have a spare 250 that should bolt upto the 280t housing if things don't go well.

matty, i dont run 90w in my drive, i run 30w motor oil..been running that since 1985,the 90 w dont circulate as fast and hold's heat longer then the 30w which cools off faster..seems like its been working for me for 20+ years and never had it apart:)

MOP
05-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Don't take much to pull the bearing housing out, if it sat awhile good chance there are issues. Would be a bummer to push a rope, a little investigation is always a good thing!

BUIZILLA
05-30-2010, 02:04 PM
if that water has been sitting in that lower for awhile you can bet the gears and bearings down there won't look user friendly..

mrfixxall
05-30-2010, 03:42 PM
did rusty water come out or was it clear? when i too the one apart that had salt warter in it for 6 yrs it came out clear when i took it apart their was only a vary little rust,may have been because it was sealed and their was no air getting to it..

mattyboy
05-31-2010, 12:44 AM
clear no rust but did it stink

MOP
05-31-2010, 06:48 AM
Matty a few cuss words and orings may give you piece of mind or tell you to put the other leg on. As to leaks most of the time you will not find them with out a pressure & vacuum check.

mrfixxall
05-31-2010, 12:02 PM
clear no rust but did it stink

mine too! smelled like rotton eggs..

Cuda
05-31-2010, 01:17 PM
If it wasn't run, the oil will sit on top of the water. If it was run, it should have emulsified and mixed together.