PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive condition

tylerc
05-28-2010, 05:43 AM
Here's the outdrive on a Donzi I am looking at...haven't seen it in person. The current owner got the boat with the outdrive in this condition and says it hasn't had salt water exposure or caused any problems.
Before I consider driving for a day to get this, what is the opinion of you seasoned Donzi owners??
The previous owner claims it had something to do with shorepower at the dock - I'm not really sure what that is though.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j163/LexusAustin/DONZI016.jpg

mattyboy
05-28-2010, 05:58 AM
i'd be more worried about what it hit to need a skeg repair and the internal damage it might have caused, the other pitting and corrosion doesn't look that bad.

check the oil in the drive for kibbles and bits

i saw a bravo 3 eat itself from a bad ground on a dock with power

VetteLT193
05-28-2010, 07:56 AM
It does look like it sat in "hot" water. "Hot" water is usually found in canals and marinas where electricity is leaking into the water. In older marinas and communities they can be so hot that it may only take a few hours to cause this.

DonziJon
05-28-2010, 01:57 PM
The previous owner claims it had something to do with shorepower at the dock - I'm not really sure what that is though.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j163/LexusAustin/DONZI016.jpg

Shore power can absolutely have that result if the dock..or boat shore power is wired wrong. In fact, you don't even have to be ON shore power yourself to get that result.

I've had blistering paint on my Alpha just being tied up to a motel dock in the Thousand Islands, off and on for a week. There was a pump house on the dock for drawing water up to the motel.

MOP
05-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I go along with burn from hot water, it may never have seen salt. My 16 had some nasty pitting the first time I did the 1K run, I have not had any on my 22 in the following years. I think the issue was from all the ship traffic as I was staying on my buddies island with no electric.