PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone added thru hull?

tylerc
05-27-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm looking at a sweet 16 but it doesn't have thru hull :(

The price might be right, but I HAVE to have it! Has anyone added it as a DIY project, or is that crazy speak??

How difficult/easy was it, cost, etc?

Cheers,
Tyler

CaribouLou
05-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Not too hard, just measure twice before you start drilling holes :wink:

VetteLT193
05-27-2010, 11:54 AM
If you are interested in aftermarket exhaust it is a good idea to buy that and install everything at the same time. this way it all lines up as it should up front instead of having to tweak it later.

tylerc
05-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Is the stock exhaust no good?

VetteLT193
05-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Is the stock exhaust no good?

it is fine, but many people upgrade. what engine is it?

Mckillop
05-27-2010, 02:32 PM
I am in the process of adding silent choice through hull exhaust right now. I went with Eddie Marine to be able to control the noise level. When we originally ordered the boat it came w/o through hull exhaust. We regretted not ordering it with silent choice since the day we picked it up.

I am having it installed as soon as the engine is back in the boat. Cant have any mistakes on something like this.

tylerc
05-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Can I ask what it costs to do a whole silent choice type system?

It would be the 4.3L OMC...

Mckillop
05-27-2010, 04:26 PM
can i ask what it costs to do a whole silent choice type system?

It would be the 4.3l omc...

$700-$1,000

tylerc
05-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Is that the DIY price?

Any chance anyone has a video of a donzi WITHOUT thru hull? I have no clue what it would sound like!

Which forum would I post pics of an outdrive in? I'd like to get some opinions on a sweet 16 I am looking at, and the upholstery needs work, which I can live with. The outdrive looks like it has some corrosion that is apparently not from salt water, but it makes me a bit nervous.

Mckillop
05-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Dont have a video, but it sounds just like any other boat. The exhaust just goes through the outdrive. Here is a pic of mine before we started the resto process showing what the transom looks like w/o through hull exhaust on an 18C

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/mckilc1/IMAGE_002.jpg

HOWARD O
05-27-2010, 08:48 PM
I think with the V-6, I'd rather have a nice, quiet exhaust. We have a 16' down river with a 6 banger with no thru-hulls and I think it's great and pretty stealth. The boat is pretty dang fast too.

Purely my opinion, but I don't think the V-6 has the right sound for thru-hull exhaust. But if you think it sounds good, go for it for sure!

MOP
05-27-2010, 09:09 PM
The V6 sounds more like a bus then a boat with through hull, you may very well be disappointed with the outcome!

wufwee
05-27-2010, 09:18 PM
I don't have a thru hull exhaust on my 4.3. It is quiet as a mouse when idling out the cove. I'm sure the neighbors are thankful. I don't want them thinking " oh here he goes with that obnoxious boat". When I get on the throttle, it has a nice throaty sound, and screams at full throttle. I like it the way it is. I would like to have a silent choice, though, but for my use, I don't think it's worth the price and/or effort involved.

CaribouLou
05-27-2010, 11:09 PM
x2 on the no thru-hull for V6, just sounds dumb IMO. Leave it to the V8 16's.

Planetwarmer
05-28-2010, 01:31 AM
Swap the 6 for a small block 8 with through hull exhaust.

tylerc
05-28-2010, 05:19 AM
Thanks all...

I haven't purchased the boat yet, just trying to figure out what things will cost me if I don't get everything I want.

HOWARD O
05-28-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm sure the neighbors are thankful. I don't want them thinking " oh here he goes with that obnoxious boat".

I am usually considerate like that, but not with a Donzi. I want it loud and I want it in their faces!

I hope you outgrow that stupid thing you call courtesy someday. I did long ago, screw 'em. :cool:

wufwee
05-29-2010, 01:58 PM
I disagree. I'm probably a lot older than you are anyway...

joseph m. hahnl
05-30-2010, 05:04 PM
I am usually considerate like that, but not with a Donzi. I want it loud and I want it in their faces!

I hope you outgrow that stupid thing you call courtesy someday. I did long ago, screw 'em. :cool:

Yup, I agree you can be a star! :popcorn:Every one looking and applauding with there middle finger at you.:party: The best Part is when the judge asked you to sign your autograph on a blank check:shades:.

It's not courtesy, it's the law :yes:

The Hedgehog
05-30-2010, 08:51 PM
I did the through hull in my father's 16 4.3. It does not really sound dumb. It has a great idle but does get kind of airplanish as you go.

No it does not hit like my 850 (which sounds REALLY good and maybe a little "smarter" than a little 460) but not bad.

I did it for a future blower project.

HOWARD O
05-31-2010, 08:13 AM
Yup, I agree you can be a star! :popcorn:Every one looking and applauding with there middle finger at you.:party: The best Part is when the judge asked you to sign your autograph on a blank check:shades:.

It's not courtesy, it's the law :yes:

Not where I live, thank you very much. Sorry if I struck a nerve with all of you. But if I did, tough sh*t. Consider that my middle finger.....what a couple of panty waists.

HOWARD O
05-31-2010, 08:57 AM
This is really bugging me. I can't tell you how many times that I've been in my boat where they'll be some little kid on a dock or wherever, that'll point his finger at the Donzi going by. Sometimes I've seen that little kid run over and tug on his Dad's shirt and point. They'll both stand there watching as the "loud" boat goes by. Fact of the matter is, they aren't standing there complaining about the racket it's making, I can assure you. I know this because I was one of those kids once.

Now if you happen to live in a place with noise restrictions and own and enjoy a classic Donzi, then I personally feel sorry for you and while I'm sure you enjoy your boat immensely, it is my contention that you would be happier with having the choice to be loud or not. My boat isn't all that loud really, it's not a dry stack drag boat for Heaven's sake. I believe most appreciate the sound and for those that don't, I say too bad.

I suppose you'd like to see a full muffled exhaust on an AC Cobra too, eh?

wufwee
05-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Ok Howard, here's how I feel about it. Do you like when someone drives by your house with a really loud booming car stereo? I'm talking about one that rattles the pictures on the wall. There should be a law, but I think we have enough laws. I'm talking about common sense here, that's all. If people would use common sense, we wouldn't need all these laws. When out on the lake, certainly, let her rip, put it "in their face" as you put it. Just don't be disrespectful,that's all. Don't irritate people to the extent they feel laws need to be written, so boaters can have their thru hull exhaust and enjoy them. I love the sound of a open exhaust out on the water. I live in a long narrow cove, and when idling out, I'll hold down the noise so people like you don't have laws shoved down their throat. I'll do my part. Just show some respect, that's all there is to it. No reason to get belligerent here, we're just trying to help you.

joseph m. hahnl
05-31-2010, 10:29 AM
Ok Howard, here's how I feel about it. Do you like when someone drives by your house with a really loud booming car stereo? I'm talking about one that rattles the pictures on the wall. There should be a law, but I think we have enough laws. I'm talking about common sense here, that's all. If people would use common sense, we wouldn't need all these laws. When out on the lake, certainly, let her rip, put it "in their face" as you put it. Just don't be disrespectful,that's all. Don't irritate people to the extent they feel laws need to be written, so boaters can have their thru hull exhaust and enjoy them. I love the sound of a open exhaust out on the water. I live in a long narrow cove, and when idling out, I'll hold down the noise so people like you don't have laws shoved down their throat. I'll do my part. Just show some respect, that's all there is to it. No reason to get belligerent here, we're just trying to help you.

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

I'll put it like this, and this is what I meant by my statement.

It has gone way beyond respect ,that is all done and over with thanks to the in your face kind if attitude. Which is really all right by me." To each is there own". If there is some place left where they don't have sound ordinances, then yee haa. Out on the ocean who cares about loud exhaust "nobody" let her rip:boat:. But in most states, inner waters have adopted sound requirements. So it' becomes more than respect, it becomes a violation against the state and people who reside in it. which requires payment of restitution should it be violated. Personally I hated people calling the Marine Patrol on me:bonk:. Kind of puts a damper on the whole boating thing when you have to shut your boat off, for fear of an $88.00 ticket and the confiscating of your boat as it gets towed to the marine patrol headquarters to be tested for compliance.:boggled: That is a hassle I prefer not to deal with. I find nothing wrong with thru the hull exhaust, But when choosing to go that root with out muffler tips,
well expect hassles from the man with the badge, and the guy in the black robe.That's all I'm saying, I am not condemning anyone for there boat being loud the state Constitution is:yes:

The Hedgehog
05-31-2010, 11:19 AM
This is really bugging me. I can't tell you how many times that I've been in my boat where they'll be some little kid on a dock or wherever, that'll point his finger at the Donzi going by. Sometimes I've seen that little kid run over and tug on his Dad's shirt and point. They'll both stand there watching as the "loud" boat goes by. Fact of the matter is, they aren't standing there complaining about the racket it's making, I can assure you. I know this because I was one of those kids once.
Now if you happen to live in a place with noise restrictions and own and enjoy a classic Donzi, then I personally feel sorry for you and while I'm sure you enjoy your boat immensely, it is my contention that you would be happier with having the choice to be loud or not. My boat isn't all that loud really, it's not a dry stack drag boat for Heaven's sake. I believe most appreciate the sound and for those that don't, I say too bad.
I suppose you'd like to see a full muffled exhaust on an AC Cobra too, eh?

What, you mean that I should not have redirected the pipes on the Cobra back under and through cataletic converters and made it sound like a Nissan Sentra? Lol

No, there is a time and place for it. I agree. I would have gotten a Chaparell or some sort of bow rider.

I am very mindful of my exhaust but do love the way it sounds. I select my marinas for tolerance. I don't crank in the early am when the partiers are sleeping it off.

Funny story. At my current marina Pate's Ford I constantly tell them to give me feedback if I am pissing people off. They always tell me they love it and those that don't should leave. Well there was this family of Nashvilleites sitting down next to me eating and the kid asked his dad about the exhaust of this guy in a baja that came idling up. His dad had seen me leave my Donzi but had not heard it run. Pretty boy dad looked at me and looked the kid and told him that people use them to try to make their boat sound cool but they really don't do anything but make people mad. He looked back at me with kind of a mocking look and said "yep they are silent choice and that is all they do. They should keep them silent" as he glared. I decided not to explain reversion and big power motors. I quietly finished lunch and took off. As I was leaving I was getting ready to push off the ZX so the exhaust was not pointed straight at the porch. I looked around and realized that pretty boy dad and the fam were the only ones on the porch so I hit the key. The boat had been sitting for a while and the exhaust had totally drained when the 850 lit off with the pipes dry. It scared dad so bad he spilled his drink on himself. He was pissed. I looked back, smiled and kicked it in gear. The really funny thing was that his kids seemed to love it and his wife smiled back. I guess that dad sucks!

Under normal circumstances I would not have done it, but this guy was basically wearing an Oscar Meyer hat. It was written all over his face.