PDA

View Full Version : Boy, did I screw up!

Planetwarmer
05-25-2010, 06:49 PM
I took the (leaking) through-hull transponder out to reseal it. I have somehow lost the nut that holds it on. Now there is a 2.5 inch hole directly under the engine!!! This may seriously screw up memorial day boating. I think it may be easier to find a huge bilge pump in Tulsa, than to find another through hull transponder.:shocking:

MOP
05-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Best bet is to contact the maker of the unit, they are always glad to take your $$ !

Phil

VetteLT193
05-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Plumbing place might have something that will work at least short term

Planetwarmer
05-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Plumbing place might have something that will work at least short term
Haaaaaay! I never even thought of that!!:yes::boat:

Planetwarmer
05-25-2010, 10:38 PM
What should I use as a sealant? Will gasket maker silicon work?

zelatore
05-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Tell me what your transducer is and I might be able to get you the part.

When you re-bed the transducer you'll want to use a permanent adhesive like 5200. Underwater is not the place for light duty stuff.

VetteLT193
05-26-2010, 06:57 AM
you need to bed it on the inside and outside too. you need to put it on the outside, stick it in the hole, then some on the inside, screw it down... but don't tighten it all the way. snug it up a bit, clean up the mess, wait for it to dry, then tighten it down. if you tighten it from the get go most of the sealant will come out.

For a temporary fix I'd personally use silicone for a time or two out without pushing it. once you go permanent 5200 for sure. of course, better to go permanent up front....

Planetwarmer
05-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Tell me what your transducer is and I might be able to get you the part.

When you re-bed the transducer you'll want to use a permanent adhesive like 5200. Underwater is not the place for light duty stuff.
Navico P319 Plastic Low Profile Thru Hull Depth and Temp

zelatore
05-26-2010, 08:19 PM
hmmm...I don't normally deal with Navico, but I'll see what I can find.

Walt. H.
05-26-2010, 08:56 PM
4200 or Life caulk will do the trick just fine not 5200 especially down the road when you or the next owner that you don't want to screw especially if its yourself that has to replace it when it goes bad and find it welded solid to the gel-kote due to 5200.
You don't ever want to see what a hull looks like after knocking a thru fitting out that was secured with 5200......

Planetwarmer
05-26-2010, 10:48 PM
I think Navico is owned by Lowrance (or vice-versa), which happens to be located right here in my home town of Tulsa, Ok. I'm gonna drive over there tomarrow and see what they can do for me.

zelatore
05-27-2010, 11:04 AM
I don't have anything on-hand that will work so this morning I called around to a couple local electronics dealers. Best they could do was an 'installation kit' that has the nut in it. You can probalby get that from any local dealer. Should be around $20, so not the end of the world.

Navico is big - they own Lowrance, Simrad, BG, Northstar, and others.

The only thing I had on hand was a Lowrnace transom-mount 'ducer. Not much help there I'm afraid.