PDA

View Full Version : West Marine Oil Extractor

3rdDonzi
05-25-2010, 07:11 AM
I've had really bad luck using the oil changer that I have had for years. (The bucket with the motor mounted on top) It was expensive and slow if it worked at all.
I was changing the oil in my 18 last weekend and went up to west marine to see what else they might have.
For 70 bucks I bought a hand pump oil extractor that is incredible. With only 4 pumps it sucked 4 1/2 quarts through the dipstick quicker than I could change the remote filter. Not a drop of oil anywhere. Its resevior is tall, (little less than 3 feet) and thin so it can be put almost anywhere.
Great Buy!
CC

brwn234
05-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Do you have a link? I've been looking for a new pump too but figured I'd have to spend more than that.

zelatore
05-25-2010, 11:14 PM
I have both kinds of oil extractors here at the shop and I usually reach for the powered one first.

You mentioned that it was several years old. Did you happen to check the impeller on the pump? Just wondering.

3rdDonzi
05-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Here's the link:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=330596&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10106&subdeptNum=10434&classNum=10440

I did not check the impeller. Didn't really think about it. It never worked well even when it was new. Its quite cumbersome and has a tendancy to want to turn upside down due to the weight of the motor when its not full of oil if you try to carry it by the bucket handle. Takes two hands to keep it upright.
The hand one from West marine takes 4 strokes, creates a vaccuum and the oil comes out into a SEALED container that can fit almost anywhere.