PDA

View Full Version : Navionics for your smartphone

VetteLT193
05-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Navionics is making apps for smart phone users... anyone have it?

They are just now releasing the apps for the Droid. SE part of the US is out and two more to come later this week. They have been out for iPhone for a while now...

The bottom line is for about 15 bucks you get yourself a hand held chart plotter... a great product for those of us who want a backup or don't venture far.

northroad
03-02-2015, 05:23 AM
Navionics is great, but for me Spyglass is the best. It costs 3.99 and all updates are free. I use it as a backup navigation and like to mark my secret fishing places. It works as a ship's compass, a bearing compass and sextant (without the math), as well as a GPS. It makes a great introduction to celestial navigation, and it is accurate enough to be a seriously useful tool. https://itunes.apple.com/app/spyglass/id332639548?mt=8&at=11lLc7&ct=fs

deejay
03-03-2015, 07:30 AM
Do the smart phone navigation apps work using a combination of satellite and cell tower inputs, cell tower input only, or satellite only. The real question is, will they work when out of cell tower range? Thanks, deejay

VetteLT193
03-18-2015, 08:09 PM
Do the smart phone navigation apps work using a combination of satellite and cell tower inputs, cell tower input only, or satellite only. The real question is, will they work when out of cell tower range? Thanks, deejay

Yes, they work out of range... On your phone for sure. On the iPad you need a 3G model or external GPS unit.

I now use the iPad and my android phone as backup. I use a seasucker and life proof case for the iPad. The phone is a gs5 so already ip67 rated.