PDA

View Full Version : Water Hose on King Cobra

Brambo
05-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Noticed that the water hose is getting worse, well after looking at the pics I took, it is now bad!!! :shocking:

So looking thru my Seloc Stern Drive Manual, not much info on just changing that water hose. I suspect that the outdrive will have to come off.

When the hose gives, I would think that I would notice an increase in engine temp, but not lethal, as the Ford 351 has a water pump.

cutwater
05-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Umm.. are you saying that's the raw water hose from the outdrive? It doesn't matter if you have a water pump on the engine if it's not being supplied with any water with which to pump...

Running without any coolant moving through the block would be lethal to your engine.

VetteLT193
05-24-2010, 01:38 PM
+1 for cut's answer. Lethal.

If it is anything like a Merc changing the hose and everything else in there is a PITA.

MOP
05-24-2010, 03:08 PM
What hose is that, does not look like the outer drive hose.

Brambo
05-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Sorry, should have given more details. That is a pic of the water hose with trim down, looking over the top of King Cobra outdrive. The damage must be from top edge of pivot housing when in up (trailer) position (could be that limiter needs adjustment?).

Those are the hydraulic lines where they attach to the back hull to the left & top. The damage is where the water hose has 90 degree bend as it goes thru the hull.

I was planning on having the out drive serviced at the end of the season, but will have to reevaluate.

Yes, no water would be lethal, but I would think most water would get to the engine, as when & if a hole goes all the way it would be small.

FISHIN SUCKS
05-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Are you experiencing high temps now while on plane, then cools down when you are idling in the water? If so, I know what and how to fix your problem. The scenario I am describing happened on our old '91 Blackwidow King Cobra. If not, nevermind and good luck replacing your hose.

tom

MOP
05-25-2010, 06:39 AM
That may be damage from a wrongly positioned hose clamp, both OMC and Merc have "diagrams" on how to position the clamps to avoid damaging the hose and the bellows.

Brambo
05-25-2010, 08:46 AM
As of now everything is good, the water hose is NOT leaking. But after getting a good look with the aid of the photos & zooming with the computer, I do not expect that to last long.....

So I am going to split some window washer hose & attach to edge of pivot housing, to minimize damage for this year:crossfing::crossfing:.

But will also be checking with some shops as to $$ & times - just in case.....