PDA

View Full Version : Why does it "click" instead of start?

Planetwarmer
05-23-2010, 10:56 PM
I pulled the starter off and had it tested. It tested good. I have to turn the key 20 to 30 times (hearing the solenoid clicking) before the starter turns over.

Any ideas? Could it be a ground? All new wires going to the starter.:confused::confused::confused::confused::c onfused::confused::confused::confused::confused::c onfused::confused::confused::confused::confused::c onfused::confused::confused::confused::confused::c onfused::confused::confused::confused::confused::c onfused::confused:

Ive been battling this problem for 2 years now! It seems to be getting steadily worse.

ACE51
05-23-2010, 11:29 PM
we had a similar problem like this in our ski boat. We ended up replacing the key/switch mechanism and it worked fine after that, try hot wiring your key system to see if it works consistently then you can get a new key switch, we didn't even get a marine one and it has been working OK then again it doesn't get wet that often.

maddad
05-23-2010, 11:37 PM
Most electrical problems are a bad ground, this sounds like a classic example.

fogducker III
05-24-2010, 12:18 AM
I also bet a bad ground, check ALL your grounds, especially at the block.

PS. Tight fit does not mean a good ground, take the connection off, wire brush and re-connect.......I had the same gremlin I chased for months.............:wink:

CHACHI
05-24-2010, 05:52 AM
I have had the same problem. There was a slave solenoid on my 454 MPI that was the culprit.

Slave was a easy fix, sits on top of the motor.

Ken

Cuda
05-24-2010, 06:02 AM
Another vote for a bad ground.

CaribouLou
05-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Our 92 18c did this.... Bad ground.

MOP
05-24-2010, 07:38 AM
I am betting on the slave solenoid, that is "very" common, have someone else turn the key I bet the click is in the solenoid at the front of the engine by the breaker!

Pismo
05-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Solenoid(s). Jump them to see which it is.

MOP
05-25-2010, 06:21 AM
You can jump the two bigger poles on the slave to test it, use #12 wire if it starts replace the slave. Do not start it to many times with a jumper it puts to much load on the circuit!

Brambo
05-25-2010, 08:52 AM
I had starter problems & used the attached PDF to check solenoids.

Planetwarmer
05-25-2010, 02:38 PM
I had starter problems & used the attached PDF to check solenoids.
Thanks, Ill try that when I can recruit someone to help me.

MOP
05-25-2010, 06:53 PM
You do not need anyone else if you jump the two big poles together!!

Planetwarmer
05-25-2010, 09:41 PM
I used some wires with alligator clips and connected them to the back of the ignition switch. Then, I attached jumper cables to the wires and touched them together. I kept screwing around with them (in awe of my ingeniousness) before I really started to listen to find out where it was clicking. By the time I got to the motor to hava a listen, the starter would turn every time.

It clicked plenty of times before I began to track it down. I could hear it clicking from the area that I believe to be the slave solenoid. Would that be located where the mercathode stuff is?

MOP
05-26-2010, 08:03 PM
The slave is on the front of starboard manifold by the main breaker, to your left facing the engine from the cockpit. You should be able to put a heavy wire between the tow larger poles then go forward and turn the key, if it spins over fine then swap out the solenoid. If the problem problem persists then it is the solenoid on the starter!

Planetwarmer
05-26-2010, 10:50 PM
The slave is on the front of starboard manifold by the main breaker, to your left facing the engine from the cockpit. You should be able to put a heavy wire between the tow larger poles then go forward and turn the key, if it spins over fine then swap out the solenoid. If the problem problem persists then it is the solenoid on the starter!

I will try this tomorrow, and post my results.

Thanks,
Nate