PDA

View Full Version : Big troubles HELP please

9922zx
05-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Bought a 99 22zx over the winter,excellent shape clean as a whistle.When i bought it was winter here in new england.So i never heard it run.Was serviced and winterized,and put away.So i was told.Checked the oil this april was clean.installed batteries,went for a ride on lake winni april 3rd.Boat ran flawlessy!Brought it back home and parked it.today hooked up to take her out.fired her up and quickly shut her down,wanted to make sure batteries were still charged.Walked to back of the boat and noticed only left exhaust blew water out,didn`t think to much about it.Checked the fluids,to my disbelief the oils tan and over full.Not good,wiped the stick checked it again thinking condensation.Same thing water in the oil.Any ideas.Engine is a 454 7.4........Thanks.....Mark

mrfixxall
05-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Bought a 99 22zx over the winter,excellent shape clean as a whistle.When i bought it was winter here in new england.So i never heard it run.Was serviced and winterized,and put away.So i was told.Checked the oil this april was clean.installed batteries,went for a ride on lake winni april 3rd.Boat ran flawlessy!Brought it back home and parked it.today hooked up to take her out.fired her up and quickly shut her down,wanted to make sure batteries were still charged.Walked to back of the boat and noticed only left exhaust blew water out,didn`t think to much about it.Checked the fluids,to my disbelief the oils tan and over full.Not good,wiped the stick checked it again thinking condensation.Same thing water in the oil.Any ideas.Engine is a 454 7.4........Thanks.....Mark

April 3rd??? way too soon for a boat ride unless you pull the plugs in the cooling system on the engine...we have had some cold nights since the 3rd of april so it probably froze and cracked somthing...look at the side of the block under the exhaust manifolds,also check the bottom of the exhaust for cracks...when you pulled the plug did any water come out?

you may get lucky and may have a crack in the oil cooler..

mike o
05-23-2010, 05:53 PM
FYI I live on Squam above Winni. I ran my 18 in the record warmth of early april and didnt drain my block. Because it didnt get even close enough to freeze a block in the whole month of April in the White MTs........:yes: Hope it's just a simple thing wong........ M

9922zx
05-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Yeah it was 80 that day,no water came out of the plug.but did notice about a table spoon of water on the bottom of the engine compartment.Other than a cracked block,what else could cause water to get into the oil.

9922zx
05-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words Mike,Would suck to have a 20k$ anchor!!!

onesubdrvr
05-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Yeah it was 80 that day,no water came out of the plug.but did notice about a table spoon of water on the bottom of the engine compartment.Other than a cracked block,what else could cause water to get into the oil.

Blown head gasket could cause the same problem, but usually caused from over heating. If memory serves me right, there are some head bolts that need to be sealed when installing the head that could cause it, bad exhaust valve, lots of possibilities really, but given the scenario, seems like it would most likely be the block, but you won't know until you really get in there.

Wayne

mike o
05-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words Mike,Would suck to have a 20k$ anchor!!! Sir, your welcome, your issue was pre 4/3/10 maybe. If it was winterized by a dealer, there usually is a tag on the boat saying so with a date on the tag and who did it. Around this area any way.............

MOP
05-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Read this thread do the pressure check with water, like it says if the oil level rises even more shop for an engine! http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62036

9922zx
05-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Thank you all for the help,bringing it to a mechanic tonight,let you know what it is, again Thanks.....Mark

22times2
05-24-2010, 05:09 PM
my last 22c i bought sat a while bank repo and the oil was milky i was a little concerned but bought it right i changed the oil and filter 3 times until no more milkey look appeared and never had a problem ran it 10 years and never saw any water in oil after that.if the boat was stored outside it could just be from sweating internaly good luck mike.

9922zx
05-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Brought boat to mechanic in gilford.First thing he looked for were cracks is block or manifold.No external cracks were found.Pressure tested with water,no external leaks.He is going to start taking her apart in the a.m. to look for other possible causes.No cracks in the oil cooler.Will know more later on in the investigation.Maybe somethng as simple as 22times2 talked about.Yeah right not with my luck lately.

mrfixxall
05-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Brought boat to mechanic in gilford.First thing he looked for were cracks is block or manifold.No external cracks were found.Pressure tested with water,no external leaks.He is going to start taking her apart in the a.m. to look for other possible causes.No cracks in the oil cooler.Will know more later on in the investigation.Maybe somethng as simple as 22times2 talked about.Yeah right not with my luck lately.

keep your fingers crossed,maybe it's just riser gaskets or a bad lower intake gasket..

poorboy
05-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Normal for only one exhaust to have water running out at idle. Takes alot of water to fill the motor and a fast idle to get water to discharge out both pipes. You did not mention if the motor was winterized by draining and letting dry or if it was filled with antifreeze. If the engine was serviced when winterized, where the oil was changed and no antifreeze put in the cooling system, possible problem may have began when in storage during the winter or some other time. If the engine water was drained then that maybe why the oil looked good when you checked it before your ride. After using the boat, water will remain in the cooling system and if there is a leak, that is when it can enter the oil system or while you had the motor running. An external crack will leak fluid out of the engine and be very visible when the motor is running. It takes a cold night and a cold day for a motor to freeze in most cases. Cold night and warm days are iffy for freezing motors, not that it can't happen, but not likely. My first guess would be a bad exhaust manifold or riser/gasket. If either leaking, water would run into the cylinder thru an open exhaust valve and then seep past the pistons at the ring gaps. An indicator of this problem are rusty spark plugs, on the electrodes so the plugs need to be removed to check this. Also the engine would likely miss when you start it up from the water or lock up if there is enough water in the cylinder. Another choice is as stated, a blown head gasket. the gasket would need to be blown or corroded away between the water flow hole and to an oil return or into the lifter valley or from a water flow hole into the cylinder where a rusty plug would likely show up and a miss on one or two cylinders. A more serious problem would be a cracked cylinder wall from overboring or heat. You also did not mention if the motor was stock either where if modified, a cam with too much duration can cause the cylinders to suck water in while runnig and fill the motor but the motor would not run flawless. As mentioned also a bad intake gasket or intake itself would leak water into the lifter valley and into the motor. I would check compression and the plugs and if nothing found, replace the intake gasket/manifold if bad. There are head bolts that go into the water jackets and should be sealed. I don't think enough water could come into the motor at that point to raise the oil level with one trip. Hope this helps

BUIZILLA
05-27-2010, 06:31 AM
Normal for only one exhaust to have water running out at idle. I would say that is not true...

VetteLT193
05-27-2010, 06:47 AM
I would say that is not true...

It is true within the context of "fired her up and quickly shut her down"

9922zx
05-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Great explanation poorboy.I picked the boat up today,The mechanic had no explanation besides condensation.Gave her 3 complete oil changes.Ran mystery oil through it,took it out on lake winni... for about an hour checked the oil .it was perfectly clean.Took it back to the shop gave it one more oil change with recomended quicksilver 30w with quicksilver filter and fuel filter and ran on hose.Oil is clean!!!!!Hope that never happens again!!!!Thanks for all your input guys.....Mark,Hope to see some of you Donzi guys on the lake.