PDA

View Full Version : 05 22c blackhawk drive install results

22times2
05-23-2010, 05:04 PM
the results are in prior to the outdrive swap my speed was 70.7 gps after 3 runs with the orig bravo drive white knuckle driving i might add after i put on a brand new blackhawk drive with suggested props i increased my speed to 75.9 at only 4700 rpms with a little prop tweaking i think 80 might be in sight.it was stable stable as a rock.i love the handling.althought it is a different bear you can hear the props surfacing making a humming noise but this thing excelerates fast and is very stable.i do not no way this drive was tabled but i love it.i ran a 29p frt and a 31p rear as suggested. the only problem is that even thought i have efi the engine will stall about 40% of the time when i put it into gear i am hoping the pitch change will help with that and maybe the ecm can be adjusted to compensate.the engine is a 496 h/o b1x any suggestions would be of great help thanks mike.:)

LITTLE MAX
05-23-2010, 08:02 PM
the results are in prior to the outdrive swap my speed was 70.7 gps after 3 runs with the orig bravo drive white knuckle driving i might add after i put on a brand new blackhawk drive with suggested props i increased my speed to 75.9 at only 4700 rpms with a little prop tweaking i think 80 might be in sight.it was stable stable as a rock.i love the handling.althought it is a different bear you can hear the props surfacing making a humming noise but this thing excelerates fast and is very stable.i do not no way this drive was tabled but i love it.i ran a 29p frt and a 31p rear as suggested. the only problem is that even thought i have efi the engine will stall about 40% of the time when i put it into gear i am hoping the pitch change will help with that and maybe the ecm can be adjusted to compensate.the engine is a 496 h/o b1x any suggestions would be of great help thanks mike.:) Mike What gear are you running in the B/H ?

Cuda
05-24-2010, 06:22 AM
My Kaama drive Formula made the same humming noise. You could hear it through the hull.

MOP
05-24-2010, 07:45 AM
The humming can be caused by not having the props timed right, I know mine hummed more than once.

BUIZILLA
05-24-2010, 07:51 AM
my regular BIII would niticeably hun through the hull if they weren't timed right, even one spline off I could feel... I would imagine a BH would be more noticeable

22times2
05-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks guys. The drive is 1.50, the props seemed to be timed right. I got very good instruction on how to install them but how can I tell if it may be off as slight as 1 spline? The guy I bought the drive from is George Buber from Performance Marine in Mchenry IL and is a good friend Gary Miesenburg (if i spelled that right.) I called him today and is going to talk with Gary about gaining 400 more rpms, less prop I think. George mentioned and I may spell this wrong "to adjust the iaac valve", this has someting to do with the shifting system as to be able to shift it into gear without stalling. Does this make any sense? George was suprised that I was not able to get more speed out of it but the prop set was our first attempt to the set up. George also added that maybe I should have the props sent to a prop shop that he knows that does a computer analyasis to get this down to a science as far as pitch rpm etc. He also mentioned this could be somewhat expensive. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated and yes the humming noise seems to be through the hull but sounds like the props airing out. Thanks again, you guys know more than I do. Mike

22times2
05-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks Phil, those same instructions were sent with the props. How would I know if I am a spline off? Is the humming common with this drive?
Thanks, Mike

mrfixxall
05-24-2010, 04:52 PM
you from chicago area??

22times2
05-24-2010, 05:18 PM
thanks fixx no i live in maine and i have what i think is a good boat guy working on my boat with with instruction from performance marine.anyone know of this outfit the guy i have been dealing with seems very knowledgeable and very helpfull thanks mike.oh not many blackhawk guys here in maine.:wink:

younger
05-24-2010, 08:35 PM
If you are concerned about prop timing it may be a good idea to play with the timing one spline at a time. The props if not running timed right will just be pushing water from the front prop into the back of the rear prop. With this condition the front is not effiecently loading the rear prop.

22times2
05-26-2010, 06:45 PM
i installed a blackhawk on my 22c and it is my understanding there is no adjusting it maybe it is bad maybe not i have been informed that the ecm needs to be reprogramed any help would be greatly appreaciated stalling while shifting.rick i will call you asap i guess you have been here sorry about your props ouch mike.:)

Sweet Cheekz
05-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Rick
What gear ratio are you running on lil maximus? Which props? Thanks
Parnell

LITTLE MAX
05-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Rick
What gear ratio are you running on lil maximus? Which props? Thanks
Parnell Parnell

I am running 1.5 gear with a set of 31 props timed just right :wink:

MOP
05-28-2010, 03:22 AM
Thanks Phil, those same instructions were sent with the props. How would I know if I am a spline off? Is the humming common with this drive?
Thanks, Mike

Hi just looked in on this again, the hum will go away when they are timed right. The first few times I ran it not knowing much about the timing it was noticeable, after a few tries and some:cussball:it was dead quiet. I still miss the drive it turns the boat into a different animal super sweet to drive, but my little 383 just did not have the balz. I did not want anymore power it was built for max reliability, I am pushing a Bravo diesel X now.

Phil

22times2
05-30-2010, 05:44 PM
going to 29s with some advise from rick and i am going to advance the rear prop timeing a spline and will tweak the 29s from there keep you posted and thanks rick for your advise mike:)

Pismo
05-31-2010, 08:40 AM
I am most concerned with the 70.7mph before the swap. This boat should have run 75+ in it's stock 496HO/B1 form with an MPlus 25".

22times2
06-02-2010, 04:13 AM
pismo the speedometer said 75 but the gps on the last run was 71.7 and was trimmed out well.Is anyone here with the same set up hitting 75 on gps with the stock 496 h/o bix.:)

Pismo
06-02-2010, 07:48 AM
pismo the speedometer said 75 but the gps on the last run was 71.7 and was trimmed out well.Is anyone here with the same set up hitting 75 on gps with the stock 496 h/o bix.:)

Yes I am strictly speaking GPS speeds, forget the speedo. The best I have seen is 77+ on here by someone. Lots doing 74-75 GPS with that setup.

undertaker
06-02-2010, 02:41 PM

I have hit 75 - 76 GPS more than once lighter in fuel and just myself (26TXP prop), however IMO a 496HO boat is a 72-74 GPS MPH most of the time boat....will lose a MPH or two with a four blade...

I have a 05 22 classic 496HO stock setup.......:shades:

Undertaker:pimp: