PDA

View Full Version : Procharger clearance for 496ho?

fasttrucker
05-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Does anyone know how much space a procharger whould need or adds to a 496ho?Ive got 4 to 4.5 inchs from the end of my pully,s to the firewall of my engine room.I was told I need six"?

mrfixxall
05-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Does anyone know how much space a procharger whould need or adds to a 496ho?Ive got 4 to 4.5 inchs from the end of my pully,s to the firewall of my engine room.I was told I need six"?

the crank pullys for mine are 4 3/4'' now keep in mind mine are 12 rib for the procharger and i also have 3 v belts..I think your's should be a 6 rib which = 3/4'' and a 8 rib belt for the procharger is 1 1/16'' then their is the setback on the pully??

fasttrucker
05-23-2010, 05:46 PM
the crank pullys for mine are 4 3/4'' now keep in mind mine are 12 rib for the procharger and i also have 3 v belts..I think your's should be a 6 rib which = 3/4'' and a 8 rib belt for the procharger is 1 1/16'' then their is the setback on the pully??
Thanks but not sure this helps,need to know how much more the procharger pullys stick out vrs stock.Going to call procharger monday.

yeller
05-23-2010, 09:21 PM
You would probably just make it. Measured from the edge of the factory pulleys, the procharger crank pulley needs a tad over 3". The belt tensioner needs about 4 1/4", but that is mostly due to the mounting stud/nut. 1/2" of the stud protrudes past the nut so you could cut that off and be under 4". Worst case scenario you'll need to bore a hole in the firewall for clearance for the tensioner mounting nut.

yeller
05-24-2010, 12:09 AM
A couple pics. The measurement is of the crank pulley from the outer edge of the factory pulleys.

LKSD
05-24-2010, 05:44 AM
Prochargers stuff worked well on the earlier 350 mags & 454/502 Mags, I sold & installed my fair share of them.. :)

HOWEVER I would not run it on the 496 if you plan on keeping it. Also it is only offered for the earlier 496's not the later ones from 05 & on..

I quit selling the kits via mail order around 2 years ago. They have not kept up on the newer stuff & there were to many screw ups with their shipping for my personal likes. It is too bad too I used to like using their kits & I had hoped that they would continue to slowly evolve more.. Oh well.... :bonk:

The only 2 upgrades for bigger power on that engine aside from exhaust that I would even consider are: Whipple Or Raylar. The stuff needs to work well & it needs to be very precise to live on that engine. Especially if you want to use the stock internals. If you use one of those kits & tune it right your chances of good or decent life with the stock internals is much better.

I would not recommend the Procharger on that platform (especially the later one) unless you are going to change the internals and spend some extra coin to have it custom tuned and upgrade the fuel system..

;) Jamie / Lakeside

fasttrucker
05-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Jamie is right! I called procharger and they dont make a kit for the newer models of the 496ho.They said there is not enough demand.