PDA

View Full Version : Starter question

Mckillop
05-22-2010, 10:38 AM
In the process of having a new motor(383) built for our 18C, and I need to know what kind of starter you guys would recommend. Is there a marine starter that I should be using, or is a starter for a marine engine the same as an auto? Sorry for the noob question.

gcarter
05-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Marine starters are specific. No sparks for a good reason!!!!!!:nilly:

Lots of new and rebuilt marine SBC starters for sale on eBay.
The more expensive starters aren't necessaril;y the best ones to buy either.
Some folks will take your money if you give them the chance.

Cuda
05-22-2010, 05:37 PM
A marine starter just has a sheild for sparks. A starter shop can make an auto starter into a marine starter. There are two kinds for an SBC. The regular, and the hi-torque starter. The hi-torque weighs about half as much.

MOP
05-22-2010, 08:33 PM
The marine stater has a seal behind the bendix and has the solenoid sealed, there are actually several versions of SB starters. Straight and diagonal bolt patterns also small and large flywheel versions then add the hi torque series all and reverse rotation all made the the a fore mentioned applications. You can't just grab one off the shelf and be sure always take the old one with you. I have to laugh at the term 'Hi Torque" one of my best buddies owns a rebuilding company the Hi Torques die twice as fast as the good old 25 lbs fat boys. Hi Torques have a tiny motor driveing through a gear set to do the work of a manly starter!

Phil

Cuda
05-23-2010, 06:35 AM
I would rather change 10 hi torque than one fat boy. The starters don't wear out fast. I never had a starter fail.

Mckillop
05-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Is SBC the manufacturer or a model? Anyone able to recommend a specific one for a 383? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the first high torque motor I have had built so I am trying to learn as much as I can and have a much input in the process as possible. Thanks

gcarter
05-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Is SBC the manufacturer or a model? Anyone able to recommend a specific one for a 383? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the first high torque motor I have had built so I am trying to learn as much as I can and have a much input in the process as possible. Thanks

SBC is Small Block Chevy.....
Note what MOP said and the mounting surface on the block, how many teeth the flywheel has, and then shop.
Nothing magic about it.
I guess you might be able to borrow one from a junkyard or something to make sure it fits, but you probably don't need to.
A SBC starter bolts from the bottom of the block, not through a flange.
Take a look at the bottom of the block where the starter would be located, and notice if the two large threaded holes are in-line, or are off-set.
That determines what type of mounting you need.
There're two different size flywheels and have different # of teeth. That determines how many teeth are on the starter dog.
If you have a Merc outdrive, I would strongly reccomend that you purchase a manual for it. You don't have to spend a lot of money, a Clymer for about $25.00 is sufficient. It will give you all the information you need.

Cuda
05-23-2010, 01:26 PM
A small block chevy is a small block chevy. The starter doesn't know what it's turning. I believe the same starter is used on a BBC also. Check ebay. I never had a problem with the gears not lining up with the flywheel either. You could get a starter from a junkyard and have it rebuilt as a marine starter.

BUIZILLA
05-23-2010, 01:49 PM
there are two different flywheels, 153 and 168 tooth

they both take different starters

Cuda
05-24-2010, 06:37 AM
there are two different flywheels, 153 and 168 tooth

they both take different starters
I must have always had the same flywheel Which is more common?