PDA

View Full Version : One more question

JamesT
05-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Ok as i said before.I have a 2000 22zx with 350 mag and an alpha drive.My question is,when i pull the motor am i going to need to remove the drive?Or will i be able to slide the motor off with no problems?Also,when i put the motor back in,am i going to need re-align any thing?And if there's anything tricky that you think i should know,don't be afraid to speak up,as i am a first timer.All info is very appreciated.

axelkloehn
05-20-2010, 02:38 AM
Ok as i said before.I have a 2000 22zx with 350 mag and an alpha drive.My question is,when i pull the motor am i going to need to remove the drive?Or will i be able to slide the motor off with no problems?Also,when i put the motor back in,am i going to need re-align any thing?And if there's anything tricky that you think i should know,don't be afraid to speak up,as i am a first timer.All info is very appreciated.

I did it both ways, and it works both ways-

but trust me, it is safer to take the drive of, you'll get some heavy loads on the driveshaft otherwise if you don't handle it carefully, especially if you put it back in with the drive still at its place.

Alining afterwards is a must in my opinion.

Pismo
05-20-2010, 06:01 AM
Take the drive off first, not hard, pull motor, replace motor, align (you need the drive off to align anyway) put drive back on.

mrfixxall
05-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Its next to impossible to pull the motor with the drive on,,you will have to slide the motor forward 6'' before it will come up..Put the shifter in forward gear remove all the attaching hardware including the speedo hose and slide it off..check the aleignment before you pull it to see it its still aleigned,if not the motor is out and would probably be the time to replace the coupler..if its ok then the coupler should be ok also..

Mckillop
05-20-2010, 09:37 AM
I pulled my motor with the drive still on without any issues, however it may be different on a 22ZX than my 18C

mrfixxall
05-20-2010, 09:42 AM
I pulled my motor with the drive still on without any issues, however it may be different on a 22ZX than my 18C

Volvo yes,merc pain in the azz.

JamesT
05-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks guys,i will remove the drive first.Where can i get one of these alignment tools??

Planetwarmer
05-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks guys,i will remove the drive first.Where can i get one of these alignment tools??
On OSO, some guy was giving one away if you could guess the horsepower of his new motor. The closest guess to the actual Dyno # without going over wins the alignment tool.