PDA

View Full Version : Going into the XR!

The Hedgehog
05-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Eddie is tearing it down for maintenance. I wanted to see how the gears were handling the power for a couple of seasons. Conventional wisdom says I would not complete a third. I will probably replace the gears and am going with a Max upper shaft.

The ending combo will be XR upper with Max shaft. IMCO lower (with the IMCO torsional) and billet marine top cap.

Anyone care to speculate on how the gears look? Lots of speed runs, tuning and some poker runs.

My guess is wearing on the teeth but nothing broken. I bet I have one bearing that is getting ready to let go. I do change the oil every 10 hours.

mrfixxall
05-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Is he going to have the gears Mikronite enhanced?

gcarter
05-20-2010, 06:14 AM
Maybe some spots on the teeth faces that are worn through the case hardening?????
Or not.
I'm curious too.

The Hedgehog
05-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Is he going to have the gears Mikronite enhanced?

No. A number of us have looked into spending money on gear treatments. I have not seen the payoff. The trick is in the setup. The combo I am using is used by a number of his customers and is a proven combo. Basically these drives have a finite amount of time you can run them. You are better off spending the money on preventive maintenance. Kind of like using synthetic oil in blower motors. Sure you can spend the money on it and it helps a little but you are better off using regular oil and changing it more often since it gets contaminated anyway. Same thing with the gears. They make metal. Expensive treatments don't hurt, but you have metal running through them. I have yet to talk to someone that pumps 800+ hp through them that does not make metal.

That is one of the things I appreciate about Eddie. He is not cheap but knows where you need to spend money and where you don't.

The Hedgehog
05-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Maybe some spots on the teeth faces that are worn through the case hardening?????
Or not.
I'm curious too.

That is kind of what I am thinking. I am seeing some signs of bearing wear in the oil too.

I will post pics when I get them.

BUIZILLA
05-20-2010, 07:06 AM
I predict minor shear fretting and nothing more

Pismo
05-20-2010, 07:14 AM
I predict nothing noticeable.

The Hedgehog
05-20-2010, 07:38 AM
I change the oil every 10 hours. The graphite like fuzz has gradually been getting bigger. At the last change I was able to feel chunks. Not big, but could feel it.

The glimmer in the light I saw the first time I changed the oil was horrifying. I called Eddie and a few friends. The all told me that this was normal for big power in an XR.

At 50 hours I am expecting to see some wear in the faces but nothing major.

Most of my big power XR friends say that if you go though it at 50 hours, you should be good. 70 hours or so and you are treading on thin ice and at 90-100 hours very lucky.

I feel that I could maybe get another season but it is much cheaper to do it now instead of waiting to break something in the middle of the summer.

Additionally, the tuning process at the beginning is hard on the drive. You can ask Tex about that one too.

fogducker III
05-20-2010, 07:54 AM
I have no idea about big power through heavy duty gear sets but I do understand that there will be metal "wear".....I have not seen or heard of using a magnet on high performance outdrives...?

I know you can install drain plugs with "pencil" magnets on outboard lowers and some of the stock outdrive lowers but is there any useful reason to using a magnet to collect metal filings in high performance units...?

VetteLT193
05-20-2010, 08:27 AM
I have no idea about big power through heavy duty gear sets but I do understand that there will be metal "wear".....I have not seen or heard of using a magnet on high performance outdrives...?

I know you can install drain plugs with "pencil" magnets on outboard lowers and some of the stock outdrive lowers but is there any useful reason to using a magnet to collect metal filings in high performance units...?

I don't see why they wouldn't use the same as Merc stock units have.

Any metal sucked away from the gears is better than nothing... and at the very least it is a great indication of drive wear while doing the drive oil changes.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=158318F

The Hedgehog
05-20-2010, 08:27 AM

The XR has a magnetic drain plug.

fogducker III
05-20-2010, 08:40 AM
See, ya learn something new every day........:wink:

My Imco shortie does not have a magnet so I thought there was a reason for it......I will be putting one in on the next service.......:yes:

BUIZILLA
05-20-2010, 08:42 AM
be very careful that the magnet pencil probe isn't too long, breaks off from gear contact, and damages the gears :shocking:

it's definately happened...

the Merc magnet comes with a thicker blue gasket, so be damn sure to use that...

fogducker III
05-20-2010, 08:51 AM
be very careful that the magnet pencil probe isn't too long, breaks off from gear contact, and damages the gears :shocking:

the Merc magnet comes with a thicker blue gasket, so be damn sure to use that...

Great info Buiz.....can you see any problem with a stock Merc Bravo magnet WITH the blue O ring gasket on my Imco shortie, it has the heavy gears with the 1 1/4" prop shaft....:confused:

The Hedgehog
05-20-2010, 08:52 AM

Good info.

Mine is an IMCO lower and it has a magnetic probe. IMCO uses a bunch of Merc stuff so who knows. I will inquire into that.

BUIZILLA
05-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Good info.

Mine is an IMCO lower and it has a magnetic probe. IMCO uses a bunch of Merc stuff so who knows. I will inquire into that. the blue gasket is just that, a hard paper gasket material, almost composition looking, there is NO blue o-ring...