PDA

View Full Version : power steering

joseph m. hahnl
05-18-2010, 05:54 PM
I got the Minx wet this weekend. All the little things I repaired are working:party:, Except the Power steering does not seem to work at all:boggled:.
This seems to have bee a progressive development. Last year it had ruptured the low pressure return line from the steering ram. The power steering pump was making that low out of fluid sound and even adding fluid to the proper level it still was whining. So I replaced it with power steering pump that I had from a 350 I got when I first bought the Minx.
well it is quiet now but the steering at speed is rock hard to turn.
I believe the power steering pump is working and I suspect the Ram is the culprit.
I'm waiting on a set of U joints to come in and I will address the steering at that point. I would like to run a test on the Ram by disconnecting the steering cable and pushing the actuater to see if the ram is moving with the pump.

Any other Ideas here would be greatly appreciated:confused:

Joe

gcarter
05-18-2010, 06:06 PM
New ones on eBay are pretty cheap.
Why bother w/all the messing around when it's so easy to replace?

joseph m. hahnl
05-18-2010, 06:39 PM
New ones on eBay are pretty cheap.
Why bother w/all the messing around when it's so easy to replace?

I not quite sure if it is really the ram or the pump I installed was no good.

MOP
05-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Joe look at the ram near its pivot bolt that is where the shuttle valve is, give it a good greasing and then work the wheel back and forth with the engine off. Hit it one more time with a little grease start it up and see if the problem has cleared up, almost everyone misses that grease fitting.

Phil

joseph m. hahnl
05-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Joe look at the ram near its pivot bolt that is where the shuttle valve is, give it a good greasing and then work the wheel back and forth with the engine off. Hit it one more time with a little grease start it up and see if the problem has cleared up, almost everyone misses that grease fitting.

Phil

Thanks phil: Is there only one grease fitting on the top towards the transom?:confused::confused: That fitting is right under the exhaust tip as it comes through the transom. I'll see if I can get the big grease gun on it. My Little one with the straight steel tube won't fit on it.

I noticed a lot of grease was coming out of the ram where the stationary part of the teleflex cable mounts. It also moves up and down .