PDA

View Full Version : Does this look right??

ZekesterbluH3
05-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Please see attached pics...I had a new windshield made, with the wind deflectors....the deflectors are at 90 to the glass, so if you look at the one pic, you get a terrible distorsion. I am told that this is the "stock" look...has anyone ever seen this? shouldn't the deflectors be more laid back, that is 90 degrees to the airflow? I'm in a bind, I can't just cut them off, since the bend is tight into the flat of the shield....

Opinions?

fogducker III
05-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Whoever made that doesn't know anything about aerodynamics.........:boggled:

Perhaps you can take it to a plastic shop and see if they are able to heat it and bend it to the right angle...:confused:

ZekesterbluH3
05-18-2010, 01:16 PM
I was thinking of trying to heat it with a heat gun, I can't really take it back, I'm 1500 miles from where it was made...

I asked the builder about it, he claims that he's made lots of windshields like this....

I'm not calling anyone out, but I do want to get opinions, than I'll talk to him again, if it is, as I suspect not correctly made....

BUIZILLA
05-18-2010, 01:27 PM
i've never seen one done like that...

at least in the last 40 years

but, what do I know :nilly:

gcarter
05-18-2010, 01:43 PM
It's one form of a venturi windshield.
The high speed air hits the "deflector" and has to increase its velocity signifficantly to get over the top.The increase airflow sends it over your head.....hopefully.

gcarter
05-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Look at most any FBSF's flybridge, and you'll see something similar.
The "windshield" is at about 90* to the sloped front surface of the bridge.
They are designed to get airflow over the entire bridge area.

ZekesterbluH3
05-18-2010, 01:48 PM
I would think that the "over the top" won't happen, the air will move up the shield, down the deflector, and at high pressure in the center go sideways and just spill around the deflector...

it's more the distorsion that is the issue, you can't see through a good 3/4 of an inch of that windshield, and it lines up, with me anyways, just below the horizon, I'm either hunkered down to see, or sitting one knee folded under so I can can see over the top....

From what i'm reading, and PMs, I'm thinking it is not supposed to be like this....

on a fly bridge aren't they much larger? and at 60 mph I wonder what it does.....

fogducker III
05-18-2010, 01:59 PM
If you are not happy with it, send it back and get them to make it right.

DO NOT try and use a heat gun and bend it yourself, depending on the material and how you tried to bend it, damage WILL happen. Sorry that you didn't get what you wanted, if I received that I would not have paid, sent it back and get them to fix it or make another.......:crossfing:

VetteLT193
05-18-2010, 02:04 PM
that is not the stock look for a 22 Donzi. I can post pictures if you would like of what it should look like.

Just Say N20
05-18-2010, 02:05 PM
They are not supposed to be like that.

The wind deflectors are vertical at best.

ZekesterbluH3
05-18-2010, 02:11 PM
I appreciate all the feedback, pics would be great if not too much of a problem. Ideally I'd love to see what the view is like thru a more laid back deflector....

gcarter
05-18-2010, 02:23 PM
on a fly bridge aren't they much larger? and at 60 mph I wonder what it does.....

It's all relative, the FBSF is doing 30 at best, so a larger area is required to get the same affect.

I understand the distortion/vision thingy, I'm just commenting on the effectiveness of the idea,
They DO work.

VetteLT193
05-18-2010, 02:57 PM
I appreciate all the feedback, pics would be great if not too much of a problem. Ideally I'd love to see what the view is like thru a more laid back deflector....

view still sucks. same as yours from what I remember. you won't find anything that will have a clear view on the bend but should be clear above and below the bend. I'm hoping to get the boat uncovered tonight and I can take a couple pics then.

Ed Donnelly
05-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Not the greatest pic,, but it gives you an idea....Ed

Ed Donnelly
05-18-2010, 04:55 PM
One more........Ed

gcarter
05-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Not the greatest pic,, but it gives you an idea....Ed

That's a little disappointing Ed!!!:wink:
Not a single one w/you in it!:yes:

DonziJon
05-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Windshields on the Classics are not meant to be Looked Through. They are meant to Look Good. The one exception is the Minx windshield which actually WORKS at deflecting the wind over your head at any speed.

Some of the older boats..Pre 1986 had wind Tabs on the windscreen that worked...BUT: In No case were you expected to see Through the windshield. :bonk:

MOP
05-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Yup I have that windshield and they stand straight up!

Hey what is all that Krap in your glove box?????

VetteLT193
05-18-2010, 07:32 PM
here ya go, same angle... this is 100% original from 1987

Madcow
05-18-2010, 09:26 PM
The wind deflector on my old 42 sonic did that, and when you were in the center bolster you got less wind the faster you went. May not look good there, but it is efective. Look at the flip ups on a Top Gun.

Planetwarmer
05-18-2010, 09:54 PM
here is a couple

yeller
05-18-2010, 11:19 PM
I would think that the "over the top" won't happen, the air will move up the shield, down the deflector, and at high pressure in the center go sideways and just spill around the deflector...Certainly not like the stock ones, but it should still work. The wind hits the deflector and curls over onto itself. If you could see it, it would look just like a water wave that curls over significantly before it breaks. Other oncoming wind can't go through the 'wave' and is forced over the top. The faster you go, the larger the 'wave' becomes and the wind is forced to go even higher before it can get past your windshield.

ZekesterbluH3
05-18-2010, 11:27 PM
here is a couple

That would work for me, your kid is about my height : )

CHACHI
05-19-2010, 05:47 AM
Ed, is that shag carpet?

Ken

Ed Donnelly
05-19-2010, 10:20 AM
George Pic enclosed me and Shannon
Phil Amp equalizer fuses waterproof i.d. holder
Ken Indoor outdoor thin plush snap in carpet right from the Donzi Factory
Remember this was the owner of Donzi's boat
Enough crap back to the topic..........Ed

Ed Donnelly
05-19-2010, 10:25 AM
George

Cuda
05-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Windshields on the Classics are not meant to be Looked Through. They are meant to Look Good. The one exception is the Minx windshield which actually WORKS at deflecting the wind over your head at any speed.
Some of the older boats..Pre 1986 had wind Tabs on the windscreen that worked...BUT: In No case were you expected to see Through the windshield. :bonk:
Yup, that little flip at the top made a helluva difference between my Minx and the 22.