PDA

View Full Version : Gas Line Questions

Kirbyvv
05-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Since the deck is off and the tank out, I figured I'd replace the gas line too. I'm going to run it on the inside of the stringer so you can get to it if needed. But, what is approved for boats these days? The old one was corroded copper. Anyone got a recommendation on where to buy? Do you order the exact length with the fittings already installed or cut it to length and add the fittings?

Just Say N20
05-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Interesting.

My fuel line running from the tank to the engine is rubber. I believe it was most likely installed when the tank was installed in 1995. It appears brand new in every way.

I was going to reuse it.

mattyboy
05-18-2010, 01:01 PM
be very careful with rubber especially old rubber it may be perfectly fine until ethanol gets to it.

i would recomend to both of you to have anything rubber replaced with new rubber that is ethanol resistant/compatible.

Kirby I know your motor was just redone recently so i would say the gaskets and rubber stuff is new ( after 2000 later) should be ethanol ok.

search ebay the fuel line needs to be USCG approved with a longer burn time

mattyboy
05-18-2010, 01:10 PM
like this stuff

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-16-ID-MARINE-FUEL-FEED-HOSE-SHIELDS-TYPE-A-1-/190318283523?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2c4fda8b03

or this stuff if you can find the right size

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MARINE-FIRE-RETARDANT-FUEL-ACOL-HOSE-350-1-2-X-50FT-/350353740235?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item5192b5d1cb

gcarter has a link to aeroquip they make some serious stuff too

Cuda
05-18-2010, 01:10 PM
When I had the deck off the 22, I had them replumb it with half inch fuel lines. It was rubber.

BUIZILLA
05-18-2010, 01:25 PM
watch the inside diameter of the Aeroquip USCG blue fuel hose

it's not what you think... :nilly:

gcarter
05-18-2010, 01:32 PM
What Jim said, but it's the best available, you just have to oversize.
I always mock up assemblies using air hose...just slide the end fittings in the hose and screw it all together. You'll know exactly what you need.
Take the mock up hose to the Aeroquip dealer and let him duplicate it.
This is a really good idea for orienting elbow ends if you have them.
No torque on the hose makes it a lot easier to assemble.

gcarter
05-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Here's a link to the Aeroquip hose;

http://dunham.thomasnet.com/viewitems/ul-hose-hydraulic-hose-aeroquip-aqp-hydraulic-hose/aeroquip-fc234-fuel-and-oil?&bc=100|1518|1239|1507

Please note the I.D.'s of the hose......a -8 is only .41" ID, not .50".
So go up one size, just like Jim noted.
But it's undoubtedly the best marine hose available. It's fireproof and high pressure. It won't be the cause of any fire onboard.

Ghost
05-18-2010, 06:35 PM
I gotta think it could be very important to get newer fuel hose that's made for ethanol gas, as Matty noted.

joseph m. hahnl
05-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Since the deck is off and the tank out, I figured I'd replace the gas line too. I'm going to run it on the inside of the stringer so you can get to it if needed. But, what is approved for boats these days? The old one was corroded copper. Anyone got a recommendation on where to buy? Do you order the exact length with the fittings already installed or cut it to length and add the fittings?
Rubco :yes:they may have a minimum order, but it's USA Rubber:kingme:
DID HE SAY MADE IN AMERICA:eek: :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

http://www.adedevelopment.net/CartV3-rubco/results3_2.asp?CategoryID=3

http://www.adedevelopment.net/CartV3-rubco/Search.asp

MOP
05-18-2010, 07:01 PM
What is wrong with going back with new 3/8" copper, how many years did it take to get yours looking bad?????????? Simple install, fool proof, and no fuel of any type will mess with it.

Greg Guimond
05-18-2010, 07:32 PM
"Since the deck is off and the tank out, I figured I'd replace the gas line too. I'm going to run it on the inside of the stringer so you can get to it if needed. But, what is approved for boats these days? The old one was corroded copper."

Are you going to do your fuel fill to the tank as well as your gas line to the engine? I agree with MOP on using copper for the tank to engine, but what about an ethanol safe rubber hose for the fill to the tank. What is approved for that, and has anyone found a 45 degree fuel fill? The best I have found in high quality chrome is 30 degrees.

Madcow
05-18-2010, 09:33 PM
I used the blue marine fuel hose from Parker. I liked the fittings the best of all the stuff I looked at. seemed a litttle more positive.

Kirbyvv
05-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Do you need to have permanent fittings on a below deck gas line or can you use stainless hose clamps???

penbroke
05-19-2010, 10:02 AM
My tank came from RDS with a hose barb for the fuel line connection...

Frank

Kirbyvv
05-19-2010, 10:09 AM
I'll have to check my specs from FMT on what type comes on the tank.

Conquistador_del_mar
05-19-2010, 10:46 AM
What is wrong with going back with new 3/8" copper, how many years did it take to get yours looking bad?????????? Simple install, fool proof, and no fuel of any type will mess with it.

I have to agree that copper seems to last forever like in my 1971 18' Donzi - almost 40 years old and no leaks. I used Aeroquip ss braided fuel lines on my Eliminator and they started leaking after about 8 years - needless to say, I was not impressed with them. I am back to using copper fuel lines in my Magnum restoration so I don't have to worry about leaking. My two cents, Bill

Kirbyvv
05-19-2010, 10:56 AM
I will say, my copper fuel line never leaked, it just looks pretty ugly.

gcarter
05-19-2010, 11:59 AM
I use copper on the engine itself. After carefully forming and assembling, I remove, primer, and paint them.

cutwater
05-19-2010, 12:47 PM
I use copper on the engine itself. After carefully forming and assembling, I remove, primer, and paint them.

Can you post a picture of this when you get a chance?

I see the material advantages of copper regarding fuel and other solvents, but wouldn't the solder joints break in really rough conditions as the hull flexes? Specifically, I mean the long run between the tank and the fuel pump.

penbroke
05-19-2010, 01:16 PM
USCG Boatbuilders Handbook fuel systems chapter (http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/boatbuilder_s_handbook/fuel_systems.aspx)

Frank

gcarter
05-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Can you post a picture of this when you get a chance?

I see the material advantages of copper regarding fuel and other solvents, but wouldn't the solder joints break in really rough conditions as the hull flexes? Specifically, I mean the long run between the tank and the fuel pump.

This is why I use the armored, fire resistant USCG approved hose from the tank to the seperator. Copper WILL work harden and crack if it's allowed to vibrate.
This first picture was after I fabricated the copper tube. I would fully install it with sufficient supports so that the tube coouldn't viobrate, then remove it, prime and paint.
This is obviously after I installed it the first time.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10366&d=1112068044

The next picture shows that I actually used several types of hose.....
The armoured blue hose under the cockpit, because I wanted there to never be a problem or fire hazard there.
Rubber fuel hose from the seperator to the pump, and to the fuel flow transducer (which never worked).
Above the transducer, you can see the painted copper tube.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10369&d=1112068095

gcarter
05-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Oh yeah, no solder joints. I used double flared ends. Takes special flaring tools to do. Super special SAE stuff.

Cuda
05-19-2010, 02:15 PM
I've had troubles bending the copper. I had a bender, and it would still kink. I found you put sand in the tubing before you bend it.

Besides, it's butt ugly.

Cuda
05-19-2010, 02:17 PM
I have a set of flaring tools.

Cuda
05-19-2010, 02:26 PM
George, I didn't think I'd ever have to correct your spelling. Remember there's "a rat" in separate. I learned that trick in grade school. :)

gcarter
05-19-2010, 03:11 PM
George, I didn't think I'd ever have to correct your spelling. Remember there's "a rat" in separate. I learned that trick in grade school. :)

I edit myself four or five times sometimes.
Boys didn't take typing when I was in school. I had to teach myself.
I'm real good at hitting two keys at once.

Cuda
05-19-2010, 05:35 PM
I edit myself four or five times sometimes.
Boys didn't take typing when I was in school. I had to teach myself.
I'm real good at hitting two keys at once.
I didn't learn it taking typing. I learned it in the third or fourth grade. I did take typing in the tenth grade, it was the only class I ever took that my sister was in. I'm glad I did take typing. If you don't have any keyboard skillls now days, you better have a strong back. I set a record in typing for errors on a three minute write. They taught me not to look at my fingers, and they were on the wrong home keys. :(