PDA

View Full Version : insurance?

brwn234
05-17-2010, 01:52 PM
I know this has been discussed here before but I want to get some more recent info. Currently I'm insured with progressive. I've heard some horror stories of progressive customer service and i'm looking for a better policy. Not necesisarily a better price. I just got an online quote from Markel for about $640, a bit more than I pay now but is it better coverage? What do you pay, who insures your boat?

VetteLT193
05-17-2010, 02:04 PM
I have progressive through USAA. Price is apples to oranges because my new boat is so much different. Was cheap for the Minx though.

thehow33
05-17-2010, 05:11 PM
what kind of boat are you insuring and how much do they cover

DonziJon
05-17-2010, 06:20 PM
I have had Progressive for the past 15 years on the Minx. Stock... 260 HP. $173 a year. Full coverage. I am 69 years old so I am sure that (OLD) counts. Old farts don't take risks like young hot shots. Never had a claim so can't report in that area.

I whacked an Alpha I Outdrive a couple of years ago. I DID NOT claim it on my insurance. I took responsibility for my own indiscretion. I bought my own NEW Merc Alpha I replacement outdrive, It was $2300.

If I whacked it..It's MY fault..not the Insurance company's responsibility. Just the way I think.

I have two motorcycles insured by Markel. Had them for 20+ years. No claims. One is a 1990 Yamaha Venture Royale. The other is a 1956 Ariel Square Four. $336 per year for both. I haven't ridden them for years but keep them insured because I have to.....to keep them registered in the state. (RI)

xedmoc
05-17-2010, 08:31 PM
My experience with Progressive was horrible. They took payment in advance, I filed a claim, they fought payment to the end, and did not pay for a loss, that by the book was covered under the comprehensive coverage. I'm extensively educated and read over the documentation. In addition, reported them to the Dept. of Professional regulation in IL -

They hired a marine surveyor that said anything they wanted him to say, a real play for pay professional...not to mention their own people, my opinion, unprofessional, and unqualified...

At the advice of someone on this board I went with allstate, so far so good -

E

RickSE
05-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Like Vette, I also have Progressive through USAA but before this I had American National (http://www.anpac.com/). I never had a claim with American National but was happy with their service and still have them on my classic cars.

22times2
05-19-2010, 03:14 PM
how did you guys get progressive through usaa i am in the auto collision buss an deal with both companys very frequently and i know usaa is top of the line i cant say that for the other co from a prior boat claim and regular dealings with them.but i would bet if you did have any claims usaa would be on your side if there were any disatifcation issues or claims disputes.the claim i had with progressive they paid the claim them dumped me because of some performance upgrades and thought the boat was to hot to insure.nuff said you get what you pay for read your policy some add ons may not be covered.:wink:

CaribouLou
05-19-2010, 05:52 PM
State Farm. under 300$ a year.

RickSE
05-19-2010, 07:14 PM
how did you guys get progressive through usaa ...

I originally had American National because USAA wouldn't cover my 22. About a year into the AN policy I called USAA to ask if they had changed their policies; I was told that they didn't but that they could work with me now through Progressive Direct. They informed me that they would get involved if I ever had a problem with Progressive.

22times2
05-21-2010, 05:06 PM
rick se thats what i thought you must be in the military or x or family member to get usaa is this right anyway you are in as they say in good hands/mike:wink:

Cuda
05-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I had Progressive on my boats, and on my trucks, and Markel on my bikes. I got great customer service from Progressive.