PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Outdrive

ethyl
05-17-2010, 01:21 PM
The old style Merc on my '67 18 ft. 2+3 just choked on one of it's gear teeth and I was looking at options for replacement. Does anyone know anything about the Sterndrive Engineering SE106 units for sale on Ebay? They are selling for about $1200.00 and have a 3 year warranty. Thanks in advance for any input, John.

ACE51
05-17-2010, 01:32 PM
my boat came equipted with one (2nd gen alpha), seems to work great. Check out their website too, I think its still the same prices:

http://www.sterndrive.cc/

experts might have a different opinion, but for my use its great to know that if the unit ever goes its not as expensive as a factory merc one.

CHACHI
05-17-2010, 01:49 PM
George Carter had one on his Minx when he sold it.

Drop George a PM or just maybe he will catch this post and comment.

Ken

McGary911
05-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Heard nothing but good about them.

MOP
05-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Three year warranty is enough said! No one has had anything but good to say.

ethyl
05-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks alot for all the positive feedback. Sounds like I should try one out as opposed to trying a rebuild. My best to you all, John

rustnrot
05-17-2010, 07:25 PM
We put the gen 1 sterndrive engineering lower and upper on a Donzi F14. No problems, would do it again in a second. Waayyyy cheaper than "rebuilding".

gcarter
05-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Yes, they're good.
I guess I was kind of a guinea pig for these. I got one just after they were available. I had no issues and I understand they're better now.
A three year unconditional warranty is pretty good.
They also have Bravo lowers, trim cylinders, and lots of other things.

rustnrot
11-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Bringing this back to post some feedback. The lower unit on the F14 has been leaking oil and having water intrusion in the lower unit this past season. At present, it has 50 hours on it.

I called Sterndrive Engineering and, sure enough, both the upper and lower that were purchased in Oct. 2008 are still under warranty due to their 3 year policy. I explained the situation and they said ship it back and we will tear it down and rebuild it. They pay return shipping, I pay to ship it to them.

I told them should I ship the upper unit also even though I'm pretty sure that is not the problem? They actually recommended I ship both units and said they would tear both down and rebuild, regardless, at no charge.

Instead of shipping, I am going to deliver the units to them this week as I will be in Central FL at the Roar and Soar boat show.

I will let you know what I find out and I also hope to get a short look see of the facility.

As an aside, I said when I get it back it may even be "better" built since you all are doing the work rather than in China. They told me they build all of them right there in Oldsmar, FL, but of course, using "worldwide" sourced parts. How about that?!

Cuda
11-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Oldsmar is just north of me. I used to drag race there in the 70's.
Twin City Dragstrip, Home of the Action Traction. :)

BUIZILLA
11-08-2010, 07:51 PM
I raced at that strip in 71-72 and earned winnings to buy trinkets during the week.... fun times..