PDA

View Full Version : 2003 22 Classic Windsheild Replacement

hottub
05-14-2010, 12:51 PM
I am in the process of replacing my windshield on my 2003 22' Classic. The windshield is the unframed flavor with the "eyebrows" which I do like, but that is always a fun conversation and we will leave that for another time. It sustained a significant crack down the center at the end of last year and I am in the process of having it replaced.
I spoke with Donzi and they have refered me to UPD Plastics and we have shipped the windshield back for them to create a mold and then make another.
Has anyone else gone through this procedure and if so, any comments, suggestions or pitfalls to watch out for during reinstallation? Any help is certainly appreciated.
hottub

RickSE
05-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Just make sure all the mounting holes have grommets, isolating the screw attachment pressure from the plastic. You want the plastic to float. If you screw the plastic down directly it will crack from the mounting holes.

yeller
05-14-2010, 04:15 PM
hottub, do you know if your windshield was higher than the standard 03 (not including the 'brows')? Did UPD give you a price? Any pics of it on your boat?

I noticed on UPD's website that the in-stock classic windshields are 3/8". My 04 is 1/2" thick. I'd just make sure they don't make a copy for you in a thinner material.

hottub
05-17-2010, 05:40 PM
RickSE-
Thanks for the tips, I will make sure of that. When you look at the overall design/install of the WS, it just makes me think that there is a trick or two to doing this right. Or at least how not to do it wrong...

Yeller-
I am assuming it is standard size as I ordered the boat new in 2003 and this is the first time it has been replaced. UPD did not have the exact molds for my year so they asked that I send mine back so that they could duplicate it. I am assuming that that would include the standard width but I certainly will check. I am also replacing both side pieces as our boats shields are 3 piece and I want to make sure of a consistent appearance with the tint color etc. John at UPD has been extremely responsive and came recommended by Donzi. I probably could of had one made closer to home and at least saved on the shipping, but I thought it best to do it right.

hottub

yeller
05-17-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm interested in the outcome. I could use a new windscreen also. When you get it back, make sure you post pics. I wouldn't mind a height measurement also, so I can see how it compares to mine. I know the older ones with the 'eyebrows' where higher. I'm curious to whether yours is also.

yeller
07-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Any new news?

22times2
07-24-2010, 12:28 PM
I had to change mine on my 05 22c the guy i bought it from let water set in the cockpit cover causing it to leave pressure on frt frt glass making it bow.i purchased it direct from donzi.I tryed to change just the center but the screw holes did not line up so I changed the hole thing.I found that they must pre assemble these parts and disassemble for shipping.the corner brackets on each windscreen had holes in slightly diff locations.Glen did you install the blackhawk yet.regards mike.