PDA

View Full Version : Livorsi GPS Speedo

thehow33
05-12-2010, 09:40 PM
My Livorsi GPS Speedo decided to quit working. I have the older GPS antenna which has a battery and of course it's dead. I have 3 options.

1. send it to livorsi and spend $169.00 to get a new antenna that doesn't require a battery, which should have been the concept of the first antenna.

2. spend $5 to change the battery my self.

3. hook up the speedo to my Garmin, which should support it according to my manual.

you can eliminate the antenna and hook directly to a NMEA0183 device. Set the baud rate at 4800 and the antenna to 0183.(this is from Livorsi) I will be trying #3.
Just thought anyone else having the same issue would like to know this. I found this thread on OSO, which really helped me.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/207678-gps-speedo-question.html

Greg Guimond
05-12-2010, 09:51 PM
I am going through the exact same thing, and looking to replace it with a Gaffrig 90MPH gauge and antenna. I burned two batteries trying to do an underbelly solder job on the battery. Very, very annoying, especially when it was the first run of the year :mad:

thehow33
05-12-2010, 09:57 PM
I am going through the exact same thing, and looking to replace it with a Gaffrig 90MPH gauge and antenna. I burned two batteries trying to do an underbelly solder job on the battery. Very, very annoying, especially when it was the first run of the year :mad:

Bring the battery to Batteries Plus they can tac weld the 2 tabs on. you can't solder them on without burning the battery up.....Also, if you read the oso post they say you can use superglue

thehow33
05-12-2010, 09:59 PM
If you have a Garmin or some gps mapping system you really should just hook it up to that. It looks really easy to do....connect 1 wire and then go into setup and change 2 settings if they aren't already selected

Trueser
05-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Bring it over to my work, The guys can handle it.

HIGH LIFE
05-13-2010, 04:43 PM
When did they change having no battery ? I bought one late last year, any numbers I could check ? "HIGH LIFE"

thehow33
05-13-2010, 05:35 PM
When did they change having no battery ? I bought one late last year, any numbers I could check ? "HIGH LIFE"

I couldn't find a part number for you sorry. I'm sure if you call they can tell you. Or they might just say send it in and we will check to see if it's compatible because that's what some people on OSO are saying happened to them.

The newer version of the gauge is compatible with new batteryless antenna. I think the new batteryless antennas are about a year old, maybe. SO, since you just bought your gauge last year you probably have the newer gauge that is compatible with the new antenna but not new enough to where you got the new antenna.

You can check your antenna to see if has a battery simply by unscrewing the white cap on the antenna and then popping up the first logic board.

I included 2 pics and 2 documents off of livorsi's website that might help

thehow33
05-13-2010, 05:38 PM
I'll hook up my garmin to mine this weekend and see if it works. If it does I'll post pics.

BlownCrewCab
05-14-2010, 06:24 AM
I did this exact thing on a 35 cig last week (hooking up the Garmin to a Livorsi GPS) works great....Screw that stupid battery:yes:

Greg Guimond
05-14-2010, 07:25 AM
I don't have a GPS on my boat, just the GPS speedo. In addition, my antenna head must have been 5200'd down so I only have the tiny wires easily available. :frown:

BlownCrewCab
05-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Batteries plus has that CR1632 battery for under $5.00, be sure to let them solder you tabs on for you, a regular solder gun will over heat the battery. It has been done successfully, but not very often.....

thehow33
05-14-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't have a GPS on my boat, just the GPS speedo. In addition, my antenna head must have been 5200'd down so I only have the tiny wires easily available. :frown:

thats fine...just take some solder wick and remove the 2 tabs from the logic board with the ends of the 2 tabs still attached to the battery. Bring it to batteries plus they will cut the tabs off of the battery and then have them tac weld the tabs to a new battery. Then solder the tabs back to the logic board.

thehow33
05-16-2010, 08:53 PM
I hooked up my garmin's blue wire to my livorsi antenna's orange wire, changed the comm setup and it worked like a charm.