PDA

View Full Version : hydraulic steering

Ralph Savarese
05-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Thinking about getting rid of the old BIG T helm and going to a hydraulic assist unit or full hydraulic like sea star. Volvo 270 set up any suggestions would like to keep the same helm foot print if possible
Bad torque steer to the right want to make the boat more comfortable to drive
Thanks Ralph

mrfixxall
05-12-2010, 08:09 PM
ive been fighting the same issue for over 20 yrs,mabe thats why i have popeye fore arms:)

Ralph Savarese
05-12-2010, 08:30 PM
So what is the answer? Wait for the cable to break and die!

thehow33
05-12-2010, 09:41 PM
maybe thats why i have popeye fore arms:)

I'm pretty sure its from something else:bighug::bighug::bighug:

maddad
05-13-2010, 05:59 AM
Ralph, I used a seastar helm and hynautic cylinder to get rid of the cable set up. The mount for the cylinder I made from 2"x2" alum. el and it bolts to the bell housing. Pretty simple and cheap, and made a huge differance in driving comfort. I had a plan to put the helm back into the teleflex bezel, but haven't done it yet.

maddad
05-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Not this! Might take out the boat running next to you.

Tborisch
05-13-2010, 07:09 AM
I have the hydraulic helm seastar steering from the factory. What does everybody think about it?

I like it.... What speed is this setup good too?

Don't mean to hijack your thread, thought it is applicable :)

Tom

MOP
05-13-2010, 07:41 AM
IMO if you want real safety with a single prop drive an external ram should be used, this is especially true with Volvo due the the slop that develops in the helmet. All single prop drives benefit from external as it eliminates the play in the drive. Duo prop drives outside of the bling factor do not need external as they have little to no side loading, what can be accomplished for around 1K turns into around 3K going external. Anyone who has driven a duo knows it is almost hands free and driven with very little effort at speed, a single at speed has tremendous side loading stressing the stock steering components.

BlownCrewCab
05-13-2010, 07:54 AM
I used a seastar helm and a external Marine Machine cylinder (on a Bravo) and ran almost 80mph, it was just as easy to drive going fast as it was docking. I'd bypass all the power steering and just go hyd from the helm to the ram, very simple & very easy to drive.

z33donzi
05-13-2010, 08:27 AM
i hope this helps try this link http://www.drewmarine.com/products/sidewinder/sidewinder.html

mrfixxall
05-13-2010, 09:31 AM

If your so worried about the cable braking and dieing the inside sea star steering is NOT the answer!!!! The way the sea star works inside the boat your only putting more stress on the tiller arm (which is steel) the steering yoke (which has aluminum splines) and are probably worn due to its age and the protection hat which is a weak part also.. If your wanting hydraulic steering i would look into the external set up..i have been designing my own for my set up because i don't like the system available,it looks hoke to me to put all that pressure on the top cap,mine is going to wrap around the drive and have more mounting points..

Ralph Savarese
05-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the info guys can anyone supply me with part #s for the set ups. Don't know where to start. Can you fit the hydraulic helm inside the big t so it looks original and still keep 3 turns lock to lock?

MOP
05-13-2010, 10:09 AM
i hope this helps try this link http://www.drewmarine.com/products/sidewinder/sidewinder.html

I will agree that the Drew rams do stabilize the drive noticeably, but they also add to the amount of force needed to move the drive, they are nothing more than 50/50 shock absorbers. You do not notice much with power steering just a tad slower turning around the dock, without power steering you can really feel the difference. They add stress on the drive components, without P/S they add stress to the entire system from drive to helm.

Kirbyvv
05-13-2010, 11:00 AM
The toughest part with adding external steering to a volvo 270 is finding a wing plate. I couldn't find one, so went with the internal power steering (original volvo that bolted right onto the inside of the transom assembly).

maddad
05-13-2010, 12:16 PM
This is Latham's plate for older Volvos. They were available a few years ago on this site from mad poodle. I think there was a minimum order needed before they made them. This year I'm going to put on an external set up with it. I agree with Fix that it looks like it stresses the top cap bolt holes, but have never heard of one failing, and will keep a close eye on it for any loosening. Of the half dozen or so that went out, I haven't heard of any systems installed, so maybe there's one or two out there that could be had.

Conquistador_del_mar
05-13-2010, 12:31 PM

I have this Sidewinder setup on my 36' Cigarette and can report that there is no drive wandering from worn steering components - the system keeps the drives stable, but they are counter rotating drives which don't tend to wander much anyway. Quite honestly, I would probably apply the $ for these towards external steering on a single engine Donzi with the extreme steering torque. I have a dual ram Mayfair external steering system on my Eliminator Daytona with a single drive Bravo and it works like a dream with no effort in the steering. Where you set the wheel is where the boat holds its course - :yes: Bill

realbold
05-13-2010, 08:55 PM
I used a seastar helm and a external Marine Machine cylinder (on a Bravo) and ran almost 80mph, it was just as easy to drive going fast as it was docking. I'd bypass all the power steering and just go hyd from the helm to the ram, very simple & very easy to drive.
I've been wondering if I could do this. So you have an external ram without power assist. Which helm, 1.7, 2.0, or 2.4?

drick
05-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks for all the helpful info on steering....I dock in Port Austin , Michigan and enjoy the great boating from Grindstone City to Caseville and ??? .....there are some long sandy beach areas like Port Crescent State Park and there are some very large ROCKS... at the lighthouse out from Port Austin....

I have a old 1986 Classic 18, i am the second owner, 383 Stroker, mint , and like a Donzi...its Loud & Kool....what can we Donzi owners say !!!!!

But like many the steering sucks....i want to be Kool & Loud & SAFE....

A complete installed duel external system from wheel back to prop...is my thinking.

Would someone help me with web address, brands, what you believe is the top companies here in Michigan I can take my boat to for the work , etc ...any help ...still not too old to learn..
have a great summer... come visit, CarlR

frclarke
05-16-2010, 04:28 PM
I have a restored 69 16 with a volvo 250 drive, 302 engine. I restored her to as original as possible. This included the original volvo "torque tab" where the exhaust was supposed to come out - useless in a Donzi. Anyway I had the same problem as you, huge torque steer, especially when accelerating. My wife could not drive it!
As an experiment I replaced the big fat fin with an after market anode type. Think nice and thin - No more torque steer - It's a manageable boat.
Only spent $10 and a bit of time.
Fred

MOP
05-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Yup Fred is right the old style Merc fin zinc made to fit will reduce the torque considerably, though for a modified boat running a speeds I would still opt for a single ram setup. The wing plate can be fabbed pretty easily I have seen a couple made out of 1/2" aluminum, what take time is locating the spacers and the longer bolts.

Kirbyvv
05-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Ralph, this is exactly what you need. I have this on mine and it works great.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62083