PDA

View Full Version : My new, old 1966 Donzi Sweet 16

BobinCovington
05-09-2010, 11:47 AM
This is my first post here on the Donzi Registry, although I have been reading everyone's posts for some time. My name is Bob and I live just south of Seattle. I have learned lots of good information here on these forums and it really seems like a good group. I am buying our family Donzi from my brother who has had it stored indoors for the last 20 years only using it a few times in fresh water.
We have had our 1966 Donzi Sweet 16 in the family since new, my dad originally bought it in Southern California. There are so many good stories with this boat in our years growing up with a Donzi in the family. Dad and I took the boat to Catalina Island a few times which is over 30 miles from Newport Beach California. I was only about 4 or 5 at the time, so his parenting decisions might be questionable, but I love him :). I remember idling near Avalon and hearing a noise to turn around and see a grey whale spouting next to us. Another time we got into some fog coming back to Newport. He would shut off the engine, listen for the bell on the Jetti and start it up and slowly head that way, (no GPS back then). When we found the jetti and the first house my dad could pull into, dad went to the door and it was John Wayne's house. He came to the door with his "Can I help you with something?"...(of course I was sleeping up under the dash in the bow area). There are stories (which I know are true based on my dad's credibility) like him being off the california coast and caught in some really big, BIG waves. He credits the powerful Donzi with saving his ass because he could power up and over the big waves before they smashed over him. As you can gather, my dad is a tough and smart son of a gun. He is 80 this year and we have been talking about the Donzi a lot. He has a 37 foot boat that he and my mom still take from Puget Sound in Washington up to Canada/Alaska for weeks at a time. In our last phone call, he said "Now... you are getting me excited talking about the Donzi".

The boat is a british racing green 1966 with the beautiful white stripe and a compass mounted in the middle. Back then and right after he purchased it, dad had the motor swapped out with a 270 hp, blueprinted 289 built by Dave Zeuschel (I didn't know who that was but I googled Dave Z and found out he has passed away but was inducted into the Hot Rod Hall of Fame). The engine is so nice and is so quick to respond to the throttle and quick to get to 70 MPH! The out drive is the original Easton with a few machined shafts/gears to prevent breaking shafts. The engine was always flushed out with fresh and I would bet the boat has less than 300 -400 engine hours on it in it's lifetime. Gelcoat is all original and only a few crazing marks, seats are relatively new (redone in 1980's) but look perfect, the boat looks very close to brand new
There was an article in Boating News, August 1966 which my brother has a copy of. In the magazine they test our actual boat and have pictures, which is kinda fun to see. Anyway, the article goes on to talk about how Don Aronow, Dave Stirrat, Jim Wynne, and Waltman Walters designed this boat. Bob Kiple is the boat tester and has a lot of good things to say back in 1967 about Donzi. One line in the article is a classic. He says "We sure hand it to them for having the guts to go the quality route and let the chips fall where they may"
My Donzi still has the original instrumentation, Eaton outdrive, original gel coat. The gas tank was replaced and looks fine, but there is some fiberglass work that needs to be done in the floor above the tank.
I feel privileged to get to be the caretaker of our family boat. So even though everything is running just fine, my goal is to have the engine gone through and anything that needs attention rebuilt, replaced, etc. I want to replace all electrical and cables, hoses, bilge pump, seals, battery, etc. to be reliable. Depending on how the gel coat is, I will consider a top off restoration.
As soon as I can get some pictures, I will post up so everyone can see what it looks like. I will try to scan the article unless someone has a link to it. I will look for hull number. I am looking forward to hearing all the input, advice and questions I'm sure will come up. I want to make sure I restore her in the right way without ruining a piece of history like this one.
Thanks for any and all comments, feedback, advice and questions...

Let the payroll deductions start...:)

UPDATE - Added more PICS (Thanks for "posing" by the outdrive Brody)

OFFSHORE GINGER
05-09-2010, 01:41 PM
:shocking::shocking::shocking::shocking::shocking: ANY PICS?

cutwater
05-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Wow! Welcome. That is awesome to hear. Pics please!

I also have a 1965/6 with the Eaton outdrive. One day I will have her restored. Which Eaton model do you have, and what has been done to prevent breakage? Someone said that even with grade 8 steel, the outdrive pin would sheer off when powered with the 289. I would love to hear how you got around this!

Just Say N20
05-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Welcome to the board, and thanks for sharing the memories you have associated with this boat. What a great thing to be able to assume ownership/responsibility for such a craft.

Sounds like you have a good plan of action in place. Like everyone else, I'm really looking forward to some pictures.

I would also very much appreciate seeing copies posted of the article you refered to.

Pre-1973 won't have a hull number on the starboard corner of the transom. Look at the back side of the dash, and up on the block of wood behind the towing eye, for some numbers written in black marker.

My 1967 Ski-sporter 16 had the numbers C16-409, so yours will likely be C16-3??.

jl1962
05-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Pictures looks great! I have the original mirror too. Mine used to be mounted on the windshield (since removed) - I need to mount it on the deck like yours.

Have you checked w/ Speedracer on this site? He has a '67 V-Drive 16 in Seattle.

JL
1967 Ski Sporter

BobinCovington
05-09-2010, 02:42 PM
I know...I am waiting for PICS myself. My brother and I need to do the boat "exchange" in the next few days so I am excited. Talking with my dad, he says the shafts and gears were replaced by a racing engine / machine shop with "the best steel they could find" and he has had no problems any more. I know that doesn't tell us anything, but I'm sure there is a steel alloy that would fit the application.

Just Say N20
05-09-2010, 09:00 PM
A couple of pictures (scanned, and Photoshopped to protect the innocent) of my friend's Donzi.
He is the second owner, and had had it since around 1982. He lives in Stowe, VT and periodically runs the boat on Lake Champlain.
These are rare pictures in that he didn't like to have the windshield on it, and shortly after these were taken it was removed pretty permanently.

Rob M
05-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Bob - great looking boat, and what a great legacy to continue.

Bill - thanks for pics of the unusual colour combo. (your friend should have ducked under the low bridge:))

BobinCovington
05-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Just getting some pictures (attached in my first post)...it looks better than I remembered. Maybe I can focus on engine and outdrive first.

Just Say N20
05-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Very nice indeed! :eek:

I have never seen one with the vent just behind the bow light.

Nice color combination. :yes:

And what a great surprise to have it be nicer than you remember. More often than not, the opposite is true.

superhatz
05-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Welcome!....I have the copy of Boating News!...wow, I've been looking at that issue since the mid '80's.....cool to see the boat is still around and SO original!

:)

jl1962
05-10-2010, 05:25 AM
Bill - thanks for pics of the unusual colour combo. (your friend should have ducked under the low bridge:))

Bill -
There was also the barrelback in NJ that was recently for sale w/ the same green w/ red stripe combo. Tell your VT friend to get the boat to LG!
-Jay

CHACHI
05-10-2010, 05:54 AM
Bill, was your friends boat from New York state?

Ken

Just Say N20
05-10-2010, 06:07 AM
Chachi,

Yes. The original owner had a camp on 4th Lake, near the Inlet, NY end. The boat was painted those colors because EVERYTHING at the camp was painted those colors, including at least one of the cars.

The current owner's parents also had a place on 4th Lake, which is how he learned about the boat. The boat has a brass plaque on the dash that says something like, "This boat was custom built for ***** ******* by Donzi Marine."

And you ask this question because. . . .?

Just Say N20
05-10-2010, 06:11 AM
(your friend should have ducked under the low bridge:))

Funny. Back in the day, we worked together for a local contractor, and became great friends.

I'm 5' 8", and he is 6' 7". I could have made it under a bridge that would have removed about that much of him. :yes:

CHACHI
05-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Chachi,

Yes. The original owner had a camp on 4th Lake, near the Inlet, NY end. The boat was painted those colors because EVERYTHING at the camp was painted those colors, including at least one of the cars.

The current owner's parents also had a place on 4th Lake, which is how he learned about the boat. The boat has a brass plaque on the dash that says something like, "This boat was custom built for ***** ******* by Donzi Marine."

And you ask this question because. . . .?

My Dad used to live at Stowe and if my memory seves me, I have spoken to your friend about boating up in the Stowe region. He informed me that he boated on a resevoir in the Waterbury area?.

I never did met him, it seemed every time I went to visit Dad, he had things for me to do.

Dad has since moved an I have no reason to travel up to Stowe anymore.

Ken

Just Say N20
05-10-2010, 08:13 AM
Small world.

Back to our regularly scheduled topic. :biggrin:

CaribouLou
05-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Cool! Would love to check it out sometime.

BobinCovington
05-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Ok...posted some more pictures (edited and added to the first post)

mrfixxall
05-10-2010, 03:42 PM
is that a piper aerostar in the back ground?

BobinCovington
05-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Directly behind is a Seneca

Just Say N20
05-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Very nice for sure.

Except for the weird outdrive. Is this the airboat version? :lol9:

It does appear to be in great condition. Is there still a visible gas gauge on the tank that you can see when you look through the site glass by the driver's right foot?

JimG
05-10-2010, 08:52 PM
WOW! Bob, the boat is FANTASTIC!

Just my opinion, do not restore. Preserve. Use it gently, but run it like a DONZI deserves...

Enjoy your treasure, what a rare treat to have your father's Donzi. I don't want to mention what part of my anatomy I'd give up to find my Dad's Checkmate Tunnel...

JIM

Jraysray
05-10-2010, 09:15 PM
WOW! Bob, the boat is FANTASTIC!

Just my opinion, do not restore. Preserve. Use it gently, but run it like a DONZI deserves...

Enjoy your treasure, what a rare treat to have your father's Donzi. I don't want to mention what part of my anatomy I'd give up to find my Dad's Checkmate Tunnel...

JIM

Agree 100% +1! I hope thats your son in the last pic. Get him involved quick if it is.

BobinCovington
05-10-2010, 10:04 PM
That's my nephew in the pic...he is already a great skier (snow and water) and knows the boat well...

Here is the outdrive from a few more views (it swings up for storage). It's the "hand-raulic" tilt up version.

also here is a pic of the gas gauge in the floor, a new gas tank was installed ...and a couple more pics...

Just Say N20
05-10-2010, 11:18 PM
I have been around boats since I was 2, in 1958, and thought I was pretty well versed, but I have never seen an outdrive that spun around for storage like that.

Thanks for posting the pictures, but you could go a little bigger. I find 1024 x 768 is a good compromise between showing enough detail, and downloading quickly.

You are going to have a LOT of fun with that boat.

cutwater
05-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Bob, I agree with the others. Don't restore! It is in great shape, and one of the few "untouched" ones left. Only replace things as they break, and keep the original parts... :thumbsup:

Here is the outdrive from a few more views (it swings up for storage). It's the "hand-raulic" tilt up version.

Are there any markings on the Eaton outdrive?

I have been around boats since I was 2, in 1958, and thought I was pretty well versed, but I have never seen an outdrive that spun around for storage like that.

I've got one on my Ski Sporter. Eaton Series Sixteen.

Conquistador_del_mar
05-11-2010, 10:50 AM
What a fantastic boat, Bob. I have always liked the darker green speedboats ever since seeing a Cigarette in Hollywood Florida in the early 70s. That outdrive is also a first for me. Congratulations! Bill

BobinCovington
05-11-2010, 12:29 PM
The boat is still in the hanger until I can get to it and make the exchange with my brother. I can't wait though.
Once it is in my garage, I will probably polish the boat and get a good coat of wax on there first and then focus on the engine and outdrive. As soon as I can, I will verify the model number on that Eaton and then post it up here. I'm am assured it runs fine, but at some point I will have to find a competent "surgeon" to go through that thing and make sure all is ok. At this point the procedure when pulling on to the trailer is to disconnect the linkage and then swivel that drive around and secure it in the up position. Maybe I can retrofit some sort of hydraulic or electric lift for the outdrive instead of manhandling it everytime.
I hate to think of how complicated it would be to put a newer and different outdrive on there if that one failed.

Greg Guimond
05-11-2010, 06:38 PM
DO NOT under any circumstances restore this !!! This is a time capsule, much better held for viewing.

And that drive, I'm not old enough but talk about ingenuity :shocking:

Walt. H.
05-11-2010, 11:02 PM
I remember laughing my butt off back around the summer of 1962 as a little kid the first time I seen one of those Eaton outdrives rotate, then figured what a cool idea for an inboard that could now anchor at any beach stern first in a foot of water without any concerns.

BobinCovington
05-18-2010, 10:36 PM
So last night I finally made the trek to Oregon and I owe a big thanks to my brother and sister-in-law since we met at the halfway point and made the Donzi hand off. So after driving back to Covington and getting home around midnight... it is here. We put it into the storage room this afternoon. I am worn out!

While my wife and I were putting it in the store room, I looked for the Hull Number but I couldn't find where it was...But on the original new boat registration paperwork it says Hull No. 16226 - Boat made in 1966. Does that number mean anything to anyone or can anyone decipher it for me?

We also got all the paperwork with the boat...including the magazine article with our boat featured in an article in Boating News August 1966. We also found some of the original receipts, the Donzi color literature for the line of boats and more. I will try to scan the article and post it (with my wife's help of course)

It is really amazing to see all of this after so many years. It is a real time capsule of memories.

Just Say N20
05-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Congratulations on the safe trip home.

Hulls before 11/1973 weren't required to have a hull number on the starboard transom just below the rubrail.

My hull is C16-409, and was built in April of 1967.

I would imagine that number for your hull is correct; it is a 16, and was the 226th one built. It should have that number on the back of the dash, written on the wood in black marker, and then glasses over. It could also be on the wooden backing block up in the very bow of the boat, where the "U-bolt" goes through, where you hook the tow strap to the front of the boat.

BobinCovington
05-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks for letting me know...so 226th that year? or overall? This is interesting to learn all of this.

On another subject, anyone ever find a way to replace the original stickers (flags and Donzi logo)? Mine are in ok shape, but edges are curling so at some point it would be needed.

Just Say N20
05-19-2010, 10:22 AM
226 overall.

Quoting from another thread:

Richard Weaver owns Weaver's Marine in Shapleigh, Maine. He has restored a Donzi 14 and Hornet to better than new conditions. He is a great guy to talk with and has or can get OEM style age appropriate decals. He had the ones I needed in stock. You can contact him at (207) 636-2133. Expect to pay about $100 for entire set, shipped.

BobinCovington
05-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the tip on the decals Bill...I called and have them on the way. Richard was a big help.

CaribouLou
05-20-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm local and would love to come see it. Pm me your number :)

Donzi Vol
05-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Gorgeous...I love it! There's just something special about an all original Donzi.

Hey cutwater, is this enough to entice you to finish yours? It's the right thing to do :wink:

cutwater
05-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Gorgeous...I love it! There's just something special about an all original Donzi.

Hey cutwater, is this enough to entice you to finish yours? It's the right thing to do :wink:

Yeah this boat is ridiculously good at causing jealousy :) Don't you mean enough to entice me to start mine?? :boat:

BobinCovington
05-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the nice comments...I love the boat and it really means a lot to have a boat that belonged to my dad and has been in our family the whole time. It's really a labor of love to work on it. When I sit in it, it brings back all those memories of being a kid and riding in the Donzi. I cringe thinking that back in the late 60's my dad took me on trips out to Catalina Island (30 miles off the coast of California!) No radio, no cell phone, no gps, I was 5 for gosh sake!
It will be fun to see it all cleaned up and running...and to meet up with some you fellow Donzi owners.

CaribouLou
05-22-2010, 12:53 PM
I can't wait to come see it!

BobinCovington
05-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Today I am hauling it up to have the engine gone through and the boat looked over by someone who knows motors and boats. Scotty Pierson at Cabo Marine up in Woodinville. Scotty is a hydroplane racer and has experience with race motors, fiberglass and with Donzis.
I'm sure we will come up with a good list of "to-dos" for me to start saving for.

CaribouLou (Kelly), when I get it back (and make sure it is ready)...I will call you to come and look if you want. Or maybe we head out to Lake Washington for a Donzi checkout run.

CaribouLou
05-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Today I am hauling it up to have the engine gone through and the boat looked over by someone who knows motors and boats. Scotty Pierson at Cabo Marine up in Woodinville. Scotty is a hydroplane racer and has experience with race motors, fiberglass and with Donzis.
I'm sure we will come up with a good list of "to-dos" for me to start saving for.

Lou, when I get it back (and make sure it is ready)...I will call you to come and look if you want. Or maybe we head out to Lake Washington for a Donzi checkout run.

Bobby call me I live 10 min from woodinville and would love to see the boat and talk to Scottie

CaribouLou
05-22-2010, 08:48 PM
All's I can say is WOW what a great boat, and talking to you and Scottie was great. Listening to the history of the boat, and Scottie knowing Don on a personal level....just made my year!

I'll post some pictures of the boat here in a sec, along with a link to the youtube video I took.

CaribouLou
05-22-2010, 08:56 PM
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac203/cariboulouwj/IMG_2009.jpg
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac203/cariboulouwj/IMG_2008.jpg
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac203/cariboulouwj/IMG_2007.jpg
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac203/cariboulouwj/IMG_2006.jpg
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac203/cariboulouwj/IMG_2005.jpg
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac203/cariboulouwj/IMG_2003.jpg

CaribouLou
05-22-2010, 08:59 PM
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac203/cariboulouwj/th_IMG_2004.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/albums/ac203/cariboulouwj/?action=view&current=IMG_2004.flv)

BobinCovington
05-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Ok...thanks for posting pics Kelly. That was a great afternoon! And I can add that it was a nice experience meeting the first person I have met from Donzi.net.

First let me say this whole day was kind of surreal...even the drive up to Woodinville. I saw several people passing me and then taking a double look at that propeller up in the air and seeing their faces as they read "Donzi" on the side.

After searching on google last week with keyword "Donzi", I found the Cabo Marine website and read through some of his work. I think the word Donzi was only hidden in some text about a restoration he had done. I honestly made only one phone call and it was to Cabo Marine in Woodinville WA... I talked with Scotty. In about 30 seconds I knew that he was the right guy. Being a hydroplane driver and following in his dad's footsteps, I knew he would know that custom blueprinted 289 engine built by Dave Zeuschel (in the Hot Rod Hall of Fame). What I didn't know was that Scotty actually KNEW Dave Zueschel and that Dave was on his dad's Hydroplane crew! Then to find out that Scotty knew Don Aronow...wow! But that's not all...to hear some of the stories like Scotty with Don and the old days of boat racing and re-telling my memories of the Donzi to people that wanted to hear them was just the icing on the cake.

I think the three of us just walked around the boat looking at things, making our list of what needed to be done, telling stories and being astonished that we were looking at a 50 year old Donzi in such great shape. When he buffed out a small spot to reveal a nice shiny green, we all kind of said "holy crap". So there is some work to do, but to give this boat a thorough once over and polish, do some gel coat repairs, go through the outdrive and motor will be just what the boat needed. Being such an early boat, leaving it in it's original form is worth it.

We are going to try to make it to Chelan for the poker run this July...keeping our fingers crossed that the engine is ok and the outdrive is also up to the task. It will be fun to meet the other Donzi owners.

I will definitely post more as we make progress on the work.

CaribouLou
05-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Let me know how I can help in ANY way, that boat is just TOO cool, makes my boat look like a junker

HIGH LIFE
05-23-2010, 10:42 AM
BobinCovington, Green looks very classy ! Question, Is your gas tank located forward of the storage locker, app. gallons ? HIGH LIFE

BobinCovington
05-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Not sure...on gallons or even actual location of tank yet. I think it is forward of the storage locker, but I will know more when I get into that area. A really nice new custom aluminum tank was installed but not with a deck off procedure.

Greg Guimond
05-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Bob, great to see that you are going to keep it all original when restoring it and REALLY cool to have that boat in your family the whole time!

I think those throwback's to years past really define what connects us to our boats. Your Catalina story is a great one, I can remember taking a run with my Dad in the early 80's in our 1976 16 OB Baby down from CT to the Statue of Liberty. We loaded two additional 6 gallon tanks and headed off having waited all Summer for the right weather. When we made it through Hell Gate and into the East River we did not pay attention to the Circle Line tour boat approaching and took one over the bow of the 16 flooding the cockpit. I started bailing furiously and my Dad kept on the throttle to keep the nose high. I vividly remember to this day praying that the Evinrude 235 did not stall :angel:

We made the Statue, came back up the Hudson and turned down into East River by Columbia. Had a few more "issues" as back then folks on the lower bridges of the East River would try and time the boats passing to drop rocks down onto them :shocking:

Made the whole trip and pulled back into CT "triumphant" at dusk on an August day.

Keep the pictures coming and good luck!

BobinCovington
05-23-2010, 11:42 AM
While Scotty is evaluating what is needed on working on gel coat, engine and outdrive. Couple of questions for some out there...

We removed the rear anchor light that was set into the metal louver plate. The wiring on the light was pretty corroded (so we just cut wires) and the louver is a little bent in places. I am going to have some rechroming done to the Donzi marine side emblems, the louver plate and to a few other pcs of hardware as needed. I am assuming all of the wiring will need to be re-done (I am kind of a stickler on neat 12V wiring, that "sickness" runs in our family)

I need to rewire the rear light and probably the others, before I get into this one, has anyone dealt with replacing or repairing the lights?

I will re-wire everything...but before I tear into that, is there by any chance a wiring harness already available? (I know some people reading this probably just spit up their coffee laughing)

Before I go try to straighten the louver plate, is there a new louver plate available anywhere?

The gauges should all function, but I would like to have them re-worked and refinish the dash. Anyone have a source for restoring gauges (internals, lights, test) so they are reliable but still look the same? Possibly stewart warner or somebody who knows those gauges well?

CaribouLou
05-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Bob, whats your schedule like this week? I'm assuming you work a M-F. If you get off early or have a day off towards the middle of the week, I'm taking my boat out for a pre-MDW run.

BobinCovington
05-23-2010, 12:24 PM
I wish I could, thanks...but busy with some clients during this week. But please be there for me with a tow line when we are ready to test this boat back in the water

CaribouLou
05-23-2010, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't miss seeing that thing in the water for anything.

Conquistador_del_mar
05-23-2010, 12:33 PM
The gauges should all function, but I would like to have them re-worked and refinish the dash. Anyone have a source for restoring gauges (internals, lights, test) so they are reliable but still look the same? Possibly stewart warner or somebody who knows those gauges well?

Bobby,
Great looking original boat you have there. If you don't find someone to repair the gauges, you can still buy the Stewart Warner black face classic gauges like I did on my 1971 18' restoration. In my case, I opted for a voltage gauge instead of the original ammeter and I added bezels to the original instrument panel. Here is a link to the gauge cluster in a thread I made. Bill

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=459843&postcount=74

BobinCovington
05-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Looking at the Perko lighting catalog...
I think I found the part number for the stern light (and a replacement lens/socket) P/N Fig 0939

Next to find bow bicolor nav light..

Then to find if any has the replacement lens for these. Anyone dealt with these lights with any success?

Rob M
05-23-2010, 09:29 PM

You may want to look up these guys - their online profile looks pretty impressive.
http://www.ccgauges.com/index.html

BobinCovington
05-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Update - good news, bad news....and but then good news-

The outdrive had not much oil in it after being stored upside down for years, but now has a clean bill of health, new oil, etc

Scotty started up the motor to see how it was and said it sounded amazing at idle, but oil pressure was pegged then dropped to zero, the engine was shut down immediately. Turns out after sitting so long the ball in the oil pump was stuck and it had quickly pumped several qts of oil into the bilge past the oil filter. We were lucky, no damage, but the engine is out of the boat now and a new oil pump will be going in. It's a good chance to go through the motor while it is out of the boat and on the stand.

Lucky it was in the hands of a professional, it was shut down immediately. I just keep thinking...had I taken it to the lake for a test run before taking it to Scotty...both the outdrive and the motor would have been toast.

I have been really lucky to have Scott working on the boat.

CaribouLou
05-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Wow.... X10 lucky Scotty caught that right away.

3rdDonzi
05-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Bob,
I'm really enjoying this thread.
When I was 10 years old I was on the gas dock at Holiday Marina on Lake Lanier in Georgia and a man pulled up trailering a brand new,'66 Donzi just like yours, same color and all. I can remember like it was yesterday walking up and looking at the boat, the new smell of the resin and the mistique of the lines of the boat. It was the most beautiful thing my young eyes had seen.
After he launched the boat, seeing the way it set in the water and hearing it start, I caught the fever and declared that one day I would have one myself.
Moved to South Florida at age 14 and Donzi's where everywhere. The fever only grew.
On my third Donzi now (X-18, Z-21 and '18C) and have not been without one for my entire adult life.
What special boats!
3D

BobinCovington
05-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the nice words 3D. It is fun to post up about what is happening with it and hear all the comments. We are working towards the goal of getting it into the water in a few weeks and then hopefully to the Lake Chelan Poker Run this July.

a couple more pics (compass mounted in the deck and original gauges...I need to repaint that panel)

BobinCovington
06-01-2010, 12:24 AM
I visited the boat this weekend with Scotty and then we drove up to see my folks for the holiday. Scotty showed me through the engine (on an engine stand now). He showed me how the flywheel had been balanced with drilling out and filling holes with lead until it was perfect. Also with the oil pan off we could see the evidence that the engine parts were balanced as well. It was interesting to see the "old school" hi-perf 289 engine built by Dave Zeuschel.
We drove up to see my parents and we ended the evening with some good steaks and drinking wine and telling stories about the Donzi. Dad talked about running the heads down to Mondello for Dave Z to use and then about going to see Ed at Iskenderian Cams and the folks at Edlebrach. It's cool to think all of those great racing people were all around that area at the time and had a hand (or parts) in that little motor. He chose the 289 because it matched the weight of the original crusader? motor that was in there.
When we talked about the outdrive...he mentioned the original Eaton series sixteen was pretty good and got him through some serious stuff (including coming home from Catalina island on a Thanksgiving day storm with 20-30 foot waves!). He mistimed one, put the bow down and had one big wave come over the bow and hit him square in the chest and knock him back. He said that powerful motor probably saved his life. He learned really quick that he could power up those huge waves and turn to find the gaps between waves and make his way back to Newport. That little outdrive was under some real stress and held up fine. He ended up later replacing and re-machining the shafts and gears in there. He also changed it out with an inboard shaft and prop combo because he was twisting off the regular outboard props with that engine. So it turns out that Eaton is a re-engineered and re-machined one of a kind unit.

One other great story was about us coming back from Catalina another time. We were coming back through the fog with about one block visibility around the boat. He was doing his best to drive at a decent speed but still be safe and see ahead, when suddenly there were Pilot whales everywhere around us. (greenpeace look away) He actually hit the top of one and he heard the outdive/engine rev and then land back in the water. That had to be one of those "Holy Sh*t, did that just happen" moments.
We laughed that I was only 5 and luckily didn't remember the pilot whale episode.

Just to give everyone a feel for the good energy this boat has...the last story was when this boat was in Bend Oregon years later in the 80s. He had it sitting in the trailer/RV yard with a cover on it for the summer. While we were up in Washington for a trip, we got a phone call that a big forest fire was burning near Bend and heading towards the house and we were 6 hours north. By the time they got home, the fire had burned houses all around theirs and the large fenced trailer storage yard with RVs parked all around the perimeter was on in flames. My mom called the insurance company the next day to report the loss. Then as they drove around the following day to look at the fire damage they looked at the RV storage area and saw all the melted RVs and trailers, absolutely everything was gone...except the little green Donzi in the middle of the storage yard covered with a tarp! They said, "is that the Donzi?" Not a scratch or burn mark...Unbelievable!

So we just have to get this little 16 foot survivor in the water and give it the respect it has earned. These stories were fun to listen to (dad if you are reading this, thanks) and it really shows what that first little Aranow Donzi 16 was designed to be.

More to come, this is fun :)

Hoekie
06-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Im in South Africa and having just read through the history of your Donzi it is GREAT I think it really does look great especially seeing it is over 40!!!
I will definately also be following progress on your boat.
Obviously here we hardly ever see any Donzi's but I have now been able to find 2 Both being Sweet 16's.
The one is for sale at present and Im considering buying it, but Ive tried to get an idea of when it was built.I think it is one of the very early models but Im not sure, and would really appreciate some assistance in trying to get an idea of the boats age.
Unfortunately Im about 400 miles away from the current owner so have to rely on pictures only.
I have some pics but they are apparently about 2 years old (according to the owner) I was going to attach them but have a problem doing that.
Please assist.

BobinCovington
06-01-2010, 06:58 PM
That is great that you are looking at purchasing a Donzi 16 and thanks for the nice comments. I am not the best expert on figuring out the manufacturing date by any means, but I'm sure some of those on here can help you. I found mine on the registration and also marked in black under the bow (and also from asking my dad).
I would suggest starting a thread called "Can you help me find what year this Donzi is" and post a couple of pictures. Everybody on Donzi.net has been super helpful so far with me.

CaribouLou
06-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Saw the boat today....looks great Bob :pimp:

CaribouLou
06-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Any updates Bob?

BobinCovington
06-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Hey Kel,
It is getting there...Scotty is doing a great job of going through everything and has found several critical things that we have taken care of. We re-wired everything on the engine and new wires up to the gauges. The new wires have a kevlar sleeve that protects them. They look beautiful.
I brought the new decals up and have been working on the Donzi Marine emblems (had them re-chromed and now painting the black background around the smaller letters). I am waiting on a few light bulbs and misc parts coming via ups.
This week the plan is to get the engine in and finish the polishing so we can do a lake test next week. We will put decals and emblems on last. Have you been able to get the reg numbers?

CaribouLou
06-15-2010, 10:57 PM
I'll cut them tomorrow. Hope mine is ready for this test next week....

BobinCovington
06-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks for your help on those. I saw your boat while I was up there and it is looking good too. You can hardly tell you parked it on those jagged rocks at the memorial day run (just giving you a hard time). Hopefully I am ready too, I have purchased the following test day suggested items...

Dock lines, fenders, tow rope
Fire extinguisher
Roll of Duct tape
Box o' misc crap (oil, tools,rags, etc, etc)

and I will bring cell phone, credit card and cash...am I missing anything?

...and I have you and Scotty to help if something goes really crazy right?

It should be a good day for both Donzis to get back in the water and running. Then on to the Lake Chelan Poker Run

CaribouLou
06-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks for your help on those. I saw your boat while I was up there and it is looking good too. You can hardly tell you parked it on rocks (just giving you a hard time). Hopefully I am ready too...I have purchased the following test day items...

Dock lines, fenders, tow rope
Fire extinguisher
Roll of Duct tape
Box o' misc crap (oil, tools,rags, etc, etc)

and I will bring cell phone, credit card and cash...am I missing anything?

...and I have you and Scotty to help if something goes really crazy right?

It should be a good day for both Donzis to get back in the water and running. Then on to the Lake Chelan Poker Run

Poker run will be fun....I'm going to sugest you run the short course vs the long one, just because it is a LONG ways if something does go wrong...and that lake can get really nasty in the narrows...but either way it should be a blast. Scotty (Cabo) is sponsoring the run, let me know if you need the sponsor letter (I think you asking about sponsoring it at some point).

But I'll get the numbers cut tomorrow.

BobinCovington
06-15-2010, 11:15 PM
what??? you don't think the little Donzi can handle it???

CaribouLou
06-15-2010, 11:19 PM
You should probably get some seat time in that beast before the big run :yes::boat:

BobinCovington
06-15-2010, 11:29 PM
pretty funny... but so true

CaribouLou
06-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Just remember, its not a race....and it'll be fun to watch the 120+mph boats fly past us slow guys...

CaribouLou
06-15-2010, 11:43 PM
and what'd you say about sponsorship? :wink::crossfing:

CaribouLou
06-16-2010, 12:07 AM
Wed Aug 13 06:46:20 1997 Dave Swisher Jim, I talked to you the other day about my Donzi, a 1966 Sweet Sixteen. I'm pleased to see so much response to your classic registry, it's a needed forum. As promised, I will send the photo of my British Green all natural (down to the Eaton outdrive) Donzi as soon as time allows. I'll give the registry viewers a little savory taste though. Go to your local library and order a copy of Boating News, August 1966. In the magazine they test my boat, which is kinda fun to see. Anyway, the article goes on, and I must give credit to them, to talk about how Don Aronow, Dave Stirrat, Jim Wynne, and Waltman Walters designed this boat. Bob Kiple is the boat tester and has a lot of good things to say back in 1967 about Donzi. One line in the article is a classic. He says "We sure hand it to them for having the guts to go the quality route and let the chips fall where they may" I couldn't agree more. My Donzi still has the orginal instrumentation, Eaton outdrive, original gel coat. In fact, the boat looks very close to brand new. Sounds crazy, but the boat has never seen a freezing night and has been garaged since 1967, except of course when I go out for a Sunday spin. I called Donzi and asked if they wanted to use the boat in a 30 year anniversary commercial or advertisement and they barely knew what I was talking about. Oh well their loss and I guess it's hard to step back in time. I look forward to sending you a picture so others can get some enloyment from the boat. For those that can't find the article please don't write for a copy. I will as time permits enter and scan all the information I have about these little Jewels. Dave Swisher via http://www.donzi.net/discussion/disc040497-083197.html aug 13 '97

BobinCovington
06-16-2010, 09:24 AM
I see you have met my brother...:)

CaribouLou
06-16-2010, 11:45 AM
I actually was googling my step-fathers name who passed away, and he had posted on that same page. I just noticed the last name, and read 1966 and British green, eaton drive, and I knew it had to be the same boat.

BobinCovington
06-16-2010, 10:24 PM
The engine is back in the boat as of this afternoon. Looking good, thanks Scotty (I think he is worn out). By the way...Which one of those big guys had to crawl into that small engine compartment to hook everything up?

thehow33
06-17-2010, 07:36 AM
The engine is back in the boat as of this afternoon. Looking good, thanks Scotty (I think he is worn out). By the way...Which one of those big guys had to crawl into that small engine compartment to hook everything up?

why is your drive upside down

CaribouLou
06-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Because its 5 days older then Moses....

;)

Bob, I dropped the registration stickers off at Cabo today, so you're good to go :boat:

BobinCovington
06-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks Kel...
It is always funny how that "upside-down" outdrive draws out the puzzled looks. I do kind of like the air-boat look though.

How did our boats look up there?

CaribouLou
06-18-2010, 01:03 AM
My boat is done! Wrote the check today. Taking it on a test run this weekend.

fogducker III
06-18-2010, 08:51 AM
My boat is done! Wrote the check today. Taking it on a test run this weekend.

Are you "test running" it on Sat in the Gulf Islands........:lookaroun:

CaribouLou
06-18-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm going to stick to the lake J. Have fun at the poker run bud!

fogducker III
06-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm going to stick to the lake J. Have fun at the poker run bud!

Will do, although weather will be crap...:garfield:

Got the boat cleaned up, fluids changed, plugs etc etc and went to fire her up........nothing.........tracked down a pooched ignition solinoid and starter was on the way out, pulled the exhaust and slapped in a new starter but do you think I could find a new set of exhaust gaskets locally....? NO!!!!:mad:

Ended up driving down to Victoria to a buddy's shop who had a set on the wall.....:wink: Everything is good and set to go....:crossfing:

BobinCovington
06-18-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm shooting for Saturday to test the boat, but we will see how it progresses. Engine is in, when it is running then I will breathe a sigh of relief :crossfing: (I'm using that crossed fingers symbol a lot...)

CaribouLou
06-19-2010, 12:30 AM
I'm shooting for Saturday to test the boat, but we will see how it progresses. Engine is in, when it is running then I will breathe a sigh of relief :crossfing: (I'm using that crossed fingers symbol a lot...)

Saturday, as in a week from tomorrow, right?

CaribouLou
06-19-2010, 12:31 AM
and.....drum roll please......

Thanks to Scotty @ Cabo Marine, my boat is running AWESOME, and looking great too. Had it on the lake for a few hours today, and got no less then 10 thumbs up from other boaters (including a Mirage with 4 females on board)....Can't wait to see your lil green boat out on the lake Bob!

BobinCovington
06-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Can anyone tell me anything about the green paint or gel color on the boat? I am trying to research to understand if it was a paint with metallic or what. Not sure how many green Ski Sporters there are out there. Does anyone have any knowledge or resources to find out more?

robertbj
06-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Bob, I agree. I would like to know more about the metal flake. My boat was more than 10 years old when I bought it back in 1980, and from the repair shops I’ve been to they’ve told me my boat is mostly original gel. I think the metal flake is in the gel on our boats. Back then it must have been an experiment since boats made with fiberglass were fairly new.

CaribouLou
06-24-2010, 10:06 PM
From what I saw, your boat is paint, not gel bob...

Walt. H.
06-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Bob, I agree. I would like to know more about the metal flake. My boat was more than 10 years old when I bought it back in 1980, and from the repair shops I’ve been to they’ve told me my boat is mostly original gel. I think the metal flake is in the gel on our boats. Back then it must have been an experiment since boats made with fiberglass were fairly new.

Rob,
You'll have to go back much further in time to about 1953 for the start of fiberglass as a experimental construction material and by the mid to late 50's there were more glass boats being made then wooden ones, of course i'm referring to small craft 12 to 16-ft under 18 ft and many still had wood decks with a stained varnished finish and some even with fake lapstreak sides to look like wood construction made by MFG Boat company.
This one here is a 57 thru 59 Glastron.

BobinCovington
06-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Whatever it is, Gel, Paint or Fingernail Polish... it's interesting to learn about these early boats. Now I want to go look at it with a magnifying glass.

mattyboy
06-25-2010, 06:40 AM
Can anyone tell me anything about the green paint or gel color on the boat? I am trying to research to understand if it was a paint with metallic or what. Not sure how many green Ski Sporters there are out there. Does anyone have any knowledge or resources to find out more?

grumble green is the original gel color and was very popular on the early classics especially the 16 skisporter

BobinCovington
07-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback from everyone...I have heard from several including one person "in the know" who had first hand experience with Donzi back then and it sounds like it has to be gel and not paint or with any metallic (at least with my Grumble Green). From what I understand all of the early boats were gel and no paint was used. It sure looks like Paint, but I am still learning more about what I can.

Update - Boat engine is officially running "strong and very smooth". We replaced the old dual point setup with electronic and still need to replace an engine oil gauge. It will take premium and I will be buying lots of Redline Lead additive since the compression is so high and it has the older valve seats. The engine compartment still has the old leaded premium smell (don't you miss that?). I will be working a little on it Friday and then put her in the water Monday (the plan anyway)

My wife and I will learn the outdrive rotating procedure and probably have a few onlookers at the boat ramp scratching their heads. Of course we will try to remember to take pictures of it floating and hopefully running.

BobinCovington
07-06-2010, 12:22 AM
We had it out to the lake today for a test run...
I should start by saying that on the freeway and while fueling up at the gas station and even at the boat ramp, we had people doing double takes and asking questions about the boat. Once in the water, it started right up and sounded really great idling and a few revs. We idled out and it ran fine, but when we started to give it a little power under load it felt like it wasn't quite "right" so we brought it back in and will take a look at the new electronic distributor and some other issues, and then try again. Better cautious than a ruined motor right?
It sure looked and sounded incredible though, love that sound. Felt good to know it floats and that the outdrive worked. It was good that Scotty was there, he knows a lot more than I would have during our test run. As we pulled it out of the water on the trailer, the old winch cable broke. So we secured it with a strap and Scotty took the boat on a trailer back to his place and we headed to the marine supply to find a new winch. As we say...that's boating.
Chelan here we come...

BobinCovington
07-08-2010, 12:37 AM
Today the new winch went on and works great. The Donzi runs and sounds great. Had it to the lake (Washington) again today and Scotty (Cabo Marine) helped me get used to running it and we did a checkout run.

Drove straight to the trailer shop and now the trailer is getting reworked a little (new marker lights, bearings, hanger bolts and then we are set to leave. We put it on a lift to checkout the trailer and notice the leaf hanger was broken...holy cow, glad we caught that before a long trip! Owning old boats is easy, as parts disintegrate or fall off, we just buy new ones.

CaribouLou
07-08-2010, 05:11 AM
Bob, sorry I couldn't be there to see it run....but I'll see it in a matter of hours on Lake Chelan....

I'll make sure to pace you and make sure everything is going good....Scottie told me to keep an eye on that thing, as it's not replaceable like my junker :)

BobinCovington
08-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Been a while since I posted on this thread...

This last weekend I painted the out drive with some of the trilux prop and drive paint. Last week we installed the nauticus Smart Tab SX on the boat which helped big time for our trip to Lake Chelan.

axelkloehn
08-16-2010, 02:01 AM
Do you think you have mounted the outdrive the right way :hyper: you need a much bigger prop if you wanna drive it like this :yes:

BobinCovington
12-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Maybe that was the problem...I kept revving it and it just barely moved, like a really poorly designed swamp boat.

All the cool things on the old boat and that outdrive is what everybody notices. They joke about it on the thread, but at the boat launch while they are waiting for me to flip it over and disconnect everything it's a different story.

BobinCovington
01-23-2011, 09:16 PM
I found the copy of the old boating news tonight searching through my files and it is fun to read through again and see our actual little green boat in the test run article...and I found the Balboa Marine Newport California Key Chain. Dad told me that when he bought the boat at Newport and did the test drive, the salesman bumped the throttle and hit the dock and scratched the boat a little. He was ticked and told my dad, I'll give you 30% off if you buy it today. Turned out the linkage was not connected to the ball joint on the top of the eaton outdrive.

I don't know why, but the little Donzi just connects with my soul.

Greg Guimond
01-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Well at least one thing that is green is working .....:frown: Bob, scan that article and post it up. That is history and should be preserved.

BobinCovington
01-23-2011, 09:37 PM
It's the 1966 boating news that is linked on the site. But I have another page that goes with it. I also have all the 1966 Donzi Ski Sporter literature.

BobinCovington
07-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Here is a quick post with a pic from the Lake Chelan Poker Run (at the dock). It looks pretty good from a distance...it's harder to see all the dings and scratches from 45 years of boating.

CaribouLou
07-12-2011, 12:33 AM
You're tempting fate running that thing on modern gas Bob.....

BobinCovington
07-12-2011, 12:43 AM
LOL, This time I filled it with my own special cocktail of 1 part premium, 1 part 101 octane Trick racing gas (to try and get as close to 96 as I can), and part Redline lead additive. It ran great...here is a little video of us idling it over to the dock...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSx8zAmi3R0

CaribouLou
07-12-2011, 12:56 AM
Sounds great.....I'll be on Lake Wa this weekend, bring it out

BobinCovington
07-12-2011, 01:08 AM
Maybe...remind me on Friday after I recover from all the bouncing from boat wakes this last weekend. :)

JimG
07-12-2011, 06:04 AM
It looks pretty good from a distance...it's harder to see all the dings and scratches from 45 years of boating.

Bob, that boat looks awesome from ANY distance!

She earned those dings and scratches, and obviously wears them proudly!

Jim

Just Say N20
07-12-2011, 06:28 AM
Sounds great!

You left your fender out.

BobinCovington
07-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Yes the fender was out in the video but we were just driving it over to the ramp to take the boat out this time. Ironically we just bought the two new buoy type fenders and the first day out with the boat we forgot and left both fenders out. We brought the boat up on plane only to look over about 10 miles later and say oops...I guess we lost one of our fenders. We looked the rest of the day but never did find it.

lost/found ad in the Chelan newspaper should read...
"Lost on Saturday July 9th in south end of Lake Chelan, 1 round white fender with a black donzi dock line attached. Boat owners were so excited the boat was running they were not paying attention, but would really like it returned"

jl1962
07-12-2011, 09:37 AM
lost/found ad in the Chelan newspaper should read...
"Lost on Saturday July 9th in south end of Lake Chelan, 1 round white fender with a black donzi dock line attached. Boat owners were so excited the boat was running they were not paying attention, but would really like it returned"

:hyper: :bonk::) - I know THAT feeling!

Are those the new seats?

CaribouLou
07-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Get that thing out on Lake Wa!!