PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush expertise

axelkloehn
05-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Might be interesting for some of you guys, I airbrushed a Volkswagen truck some time ago:

This is a step-by-step guide:

Start with painting the car in a silver base, mask the area were the motive is going to be, add som fine lines for some technical background and use the airbrush gun to apply some black shadows

axelkloehn
05-07-2010, 03:53 PM
remove the masking and do the alien-motive in freehand airbrushing- don't forget: you gotta do it on both sides of the car!
Than apply some candy apple red over the airbrush- the airbrush will shine thru the transparent red paint.

axelkloehn
05-07-2010, 03:59 PM
take some sand paper and wet-sand the whole car again, do some white highlights and effects with the airbrush gun, apply some layers of clearcoat and than you're done.

The effect and depth of this kind of paintjob is amazing, especially in the sun.

Took me a weekend to do this, now it's your turn! Have fun :wink:

---------------------------------------------------------------

gcarter
05-07-2010, 06:22 PM
That's really nice Axel.
I bet it's not the first time you've done that.

gcarter
05-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the explanation.
I guess your plotter generated mask would be a lot easier from a non-artist standpoint.

Just Say N20
05-07-2010, 06:29 PM
It appears this is what you do for a hobby?

Excellent job. Unbelievable you were able to complete the job in a week end!

Ed Donnelly
05-07-2010, 08:17 PM
If you really want a little more practice, I guess I could ship you my Harley tank...L.O.L.

How cool would a Criterion SS look on the tank..................Ed

P.S. Looks really great

axelkloehn
05-08-2010, 03:11 AM
George/Bill/Ed, thanks for your compliments.

It's one of these stories- you feel bored and start looking for a new hobby, so my girlfriend gave me an airbrushgun 20 years ago and you suddenly find out you've got some talent....
I did quiet a lot of airbrush designs but stopped a while ago due to time and health problems.

George,
it's one of the reasons I bought the plotter, makes masking easier...:wink:

McGary911
05-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Very nice work. H. R. Geiger would be proud..... :yes:

Greg Guimond
05-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Holy crap !!!

Craig S
05-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Awesome!

Conquistador_del_mar
05-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Axel,
That is some awesome work. I always wanted to try my hand at airbrushing, but I never have. Bill

gcarter
05-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Bill, buy Axel and his family a ticket and he'd probably do a deck for you!!:wink::boggled:

Conquistador_del_mar
05-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Bill, buy Axel and his family a ticket and he'd probably do a deck for you!!:wink::boggled:

George,
I am like you in that I like to do the work myself - I like to learn new art forms. I actually have an airbrush that I bought at least 12 years ago, but I never tried it out.

axelkloehn
05-10-2010, 02:06 PM
George,
I am like you in that I like to do the work myself - I like to learn new art forms. I actually have an airbrush that I bought at least 12 years ago, but I never tried it out.

Bill, do try!
It's never too late, start with easy motives, you will be surprised- although I like Georges idea with the paid ticket :wink:

gcarter
05-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Bill, do try!
It's never too late, start with easy motives, you will be surprised- although I like Georges idea with the paid ticket :wink:
Well Axel, I tried!:wink: