PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel removal "stupid" question

The X Man
05-07-2010, 09:43 AM
I haven't been around here lately, but am back and helping a friend with his boat. We need to remove the steering wheel, hub/bezel from a 1978 donzi 18. We don't have a clue how to go about this and don't want to damage anything. It has a solid chrome center cap. Does this cap pop off, and if so, what's the best way to do it? Waht will we find under the cap? Do we need some kind of a puller to remove the rest? Thanks, I know this place is a wealth of information.

mattyboy
05-07-2010, 09:59 AM
the cap should pop off, then there should be one big nut in the center and 3 bolts holding the wheel to the hub, the wheel should come off the hub by removing those 4 things. if you need the hub off then a puller is needed.
I used a sears puller put three bolts into the puller then the hub and just turned the puller it popped right off

hope that helps

VetteLT193
05-07-2010, 10:01 AM
if it is the wheel I am thinking it is the cap just pops off. use a rag and a screwdriver and twist. just be careful not to scratch.

Underneath you should find a bolt. 3/4" I think. remove that. Most people here say you can just yank hard and the wheel will come off. I have not encountered that yet no matter how hard I pull, tug, etc. I have used a slide hammer with the 3 claws attached around the base of the hub successfully. that seems to be the easiest way. I think I got my slide hammer from harbor freight for 20-30 bucks.

mattyboy
05-07-2010, 10:05 AM
one thing I forgot watch out for the little "key" they use to mate the hub to the shaft don't drop it and loose it or make sure you have spares on hand.

don't ask me how I know that

mattyboy
05-07-2010, 10:11 AM
sorry one more thing , they're right the memory is the first to go.
if you are replacing the wheel and the hub/bezel rex marine sells a 12 bolt hub that makes indexing the wheel much easier

VetteLT193
05-07-2010, 10:42 AM
What I described above is how to move both hub/wheel together. you can do it like that or separate like matty said.

depends on what you are trying to do. I have found the steering wheel screws sometimes get corroded into the hub and they are hard to crack loose. The main nut though is usually easy to get off.

Kirbyvv
05-07-2010, 11:16 AM
The X man is helping me. The goal is to take everything off to get it rechromed. The hub has no chrome left and the bezel is pitted. Since the deck is coming off tomorrow figured I'd do some cosmetic stuff too. So we will need a puller of some kind?

mattyboy
05-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Kirby,

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=steeringhubmisc

look at the 243160 hub

and one of these wheels

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=covico3bolt

Stainless is good

VetteLT193
05-07-2010, 01:59 PM
you can try it without a puller and see if you can get it off. Like I said in my earlier post I have tried but never been successful. I use a slide hammer.

mattyboy
05-07-2010, 02:08 PM
this is what i used can be converted to a prop puller too

comes with the bolts that fit the hub

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916233000P?vName=Tools&cName=Auto&MechanicsTools&sName=Auto%20Specialty%20Tools&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

dsparis
05-07-2010, 02:15 PM
If you don't want to buy a puller autozone will lend you one

mattyboy
05-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Kirby,

I have an old white bezel you are more than welcome to have. just a word of caution stay focused on the under deck stuff the bling like the steering wheel and bezel can be done on a day or two afterwork same with the decals. don't forget to check the bilge pump starter and all that other stuff that is a pita to get at with the top on.

i 'll take some shots of the white bezel it came off the hornet when they upgraded the steering

git er done

looking fwd to seeing you up and lake george