PDA

View Full Version : GPS Speedo, need to know what one to get.

Tborisch
05-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Hey Guys,

I have the OEM Gaffrig Fluid Filled Monster speedo in my 03 22 Classic. I would like to find a GPS speedo thats a direct swap in to the same hole and same angled bezel.

Anybody know what one i need to buy?

Thanks guys!
Tom

gcarter
05-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Your liquid filled speedo is probably as accurate as a GPS......that's my experience anyway.
A LOT cheaper.

Tborisch
05-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Your liquid filled speedo is probably as accurate as a GPS......that's my experience anyway.
A LOT cheaper.

I know it's cheaper, buy after the shorty goes on, I loose my speedo.

I don't want to install an extra pickup to get it working again, I'm sure it's no picnic, and extra holes suck :)

Tom

gcarter
05-07-2010, 06:05 AM
The only other thing I will add is a number of friends who have the GPS speedos have had to replace various components of theirs more than once as they seem rather flimsy.

Tborisch
05-07-2010, 06:19 AM
Can I use the stock speedo tube in the drive and hook it up to a new pitot?

A good pitot is half the price of a whole gps speedo kit from Livorsi.

Tom

MOP
05-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Doesn't Gaffrig have a matching P/U tube for their speedo's ??

oledawg
05-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Hey, I just put a little piece of Velcro on the far right side of my C22 dash and just put my Garmin in if I want to verify speeds, etc. Same Garmin that I use in my car, so no expense other than the Velcro...... :pimp:

gcarter
05-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Can I use the stock speedo tube in the drive and hook it up to a new pitot?

A good pitot is half the price of a whole gps speedo kit from Livorsi.

Tom
If I understand your statement, I believe that's what Carl did.

VetteLT193
05-07-2010, 08:06 AM
The GPS speedos suck. Mine is already broken. Needs a battery in the GPS unit. If you go the GPS route anyway, I would hook it to a plotter instead of having its stand alone antenna. I am doing research now to figure out what I need to hook my plotter up to my speedo. If you do this, you'll save $$ on the GPS part and it might be worth it.

You can get a pitot from a bunch of places. I got one from CP Performance and it was a nice unit. I know some say fixed mount is a bad idea but that still makes zero sense to me so that is what I'd go with.

undertaker
05-07-2010, 08:15 AM
I put a GPS speedo in my 05 22 classic have had no issues with it at all works great, mounted the puck and tattle tale underneath the dash out of sight but easy to access.....not cheap but IMO worth it....

Here is a pick...:shades:

VetteLT193
05-07-2010, 08:49 AM
The good news is when yours breaks it will look like you are going 35 or so Vs. mine being stuck at 19 MPH.:bonk: