PDA

View Full Version : Driving Miss Donzi

inlander
05-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Big day finally arrived to get her on the lake. After surviving the 2033 mile trip, dodging thunderstorms, hail, and a wind storm that closed I-40 for a day, and then 5 days later, we got her home. Fortunately, she didn't get a scratch from the mishap when the tire blew (at legal speed, but way too fast for boat trailer tires) and ripped off the aluminum trailer. Had to wait a week for Loadmaster to send me the new fender, but that gave me time to detail the boat. Took her down to Folsom Lake, California on a somewhat breezy day, so there was a little chop on the water. Had just parked the car to prep the boat, when a boat enthusiast rolled up and said, "you don't see many of those on the west coast." He then asked jokingly where the outriggers were. Said the last time he had seen a Donzi 16 was years ago on Lake Tahoe. Was very complimentary about the boat.

It was time to get her into the water. Hadn't had a lot of time with powerboats, so there was a little anxiety, being that this was my first shakedown cruise and because I had spent little time examining the boat when I first purchased it in Arkansas, last December. I have to confess, I purchased the boat based on overall condition. Because of time constraints and weather, it was not possible to test it on the water. Had to take a chance on this one.

The cautionary statement the previous owner had mentioned, in regards to the engine smoking profusely, after winterizing and the initial start-up, was spinning in my head as I sat in the Captains chair. Then it was time. After about 6 attempts, I then gave a little more throttle and she fired up. To my suprise, there was none of the expected smoke. Then we headed out on the lake. While motoring about at relatively slow speeds, I noticed the boat was listing heavily to the port side. My solo crewmate, who has 25 years powerboat experience (all Whalers), asked if I had the drain plug in place. Well after an "OH SHI...moment, I remember checking that before I left home. Just had to play with the trim tabs a bit, and then all was well. Spent the day getting aclimated to the boat and the more I drove the boat, the happier I was with my decision to buy my first Donzi. All the favorable things I've heard and read about the way this boat handles, were confirmed. Finally headed back to the dock, and just as I was climbing out of the boat, another boater walked up on the dock and said, "Sweet, that is really nice." I said, "Thanks" and thought to myself, you bet is, it's a Donzi.

zelatore
05-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Good first day! I don't know how windy it was in Folsom today, but I was out at Discovery Bay and it was howling, even at 9 in the morning.

Assuming I eventually get my 22 back in one piece, we'll have to get together one of these days. I usually run around in the delta, but any excuse to check out some of the lakes will do.

DickB
05-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Sounds like a good first run!

Get used to the comments. The classic lines draw them. More often than not, someone will comment on my boat or ask questions when I take her out.

inlander
05-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Good first day! I don't know how windy it was in Folsom today, but I was out at Discovery Bay and it was howling, even at 9 in the morning.

Assuming I eventually get my 22 back in one piece, we'll have to get together one of these days. I usually run around in the delta, but any excuse to check out some of the lakes will do.

Don't know much about the delta, floated there once in my Zodiac. Didn't have to worry about bumping into anything with that boat. Going to have to give the delta area a try though. Any suggestions on user friendly launch ramps for novices? Have launched PWC's on the Sac River, which is always fun with a cold fast current. Next mission is the secondary shakedown cruise...with the wife! I can hear if now, "What did you mean hold the bow line? What's a bow line?"

inlander
05-06-2010, 07:41 PM

Don't know much about the delta, floated there once in my Zodiac. Didn't have to worry about bumping into anything with that boat. Going to have to give the delta area a try though. Any suggestions on user friendly launch ramps for novices? Have launched PWC's on the Sac River, which is always fun with a cold fast current. Next mission is the secondary shakedown cruise...with the wife! I can hear it now, "What did you mean hold the bow line? What's a bow line?"

inlander
05-06-2010, 07:46 PM
OOPs! Thought I was seeing double.

Still trying to get use to using this site.

MOP
05-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Glad to hear about your day I can almost see the smile on your puss, you will have many more!

Phil

zelatore
05-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Don't know much about the delta, floated there once in my Zodiac. Didn't have to worry about bumping into anything with that boat. Going to have to give the delta area a try though. Any suggestions on user friendly launch ramps for novices? Have launched PWC's on the Sac River, which is always fun with a cold fast current. Next mission is the secondary shakedown cruise...with the wife! I can hear it now, "What did you mean hold the bow line? What's a bow line?"

Looking for a ramp with no current, I might suggest Discovery Park in Sacramento as the closest to you. It's a pretty good size ramp with a nice dock and it's in a little bay off the river so there's no current. It's a little tight with a big boat or on a busy day, but with the 16 it should be no sweat. Heck, I hauled out a 32 Carver motoryacht with an 18-wheeler there once for a survey!

A little further down-river, I usually launch at Hogback Island Recreational Area on Steamboat Slough. It's close to my house and it's also a separate bay with no current. The mouth is a little shallow but I've never had an issue getting in or out. The only drawback is the water weeds get pretty crazy. There's always a clear 'channel' from the ramp out to the river, but on either side the weeds are thick.

Over on the Mokelumne you could launch at B&W resort right at the highway 12 bridge. It's also a protected ramp. I don't like it as much as it can get busy, and the approach isn't as big either by water or to back the truck down, but I've launched there plenty of times. heck, the first time I took my 22 out I launched there and ran up to Stockton.

I'm sure there are a dozen other good ramps, but those come to mind and are a little more on the northern side closer to you.

As for the zodiac...I think I put more hours on my RIB last year than I did the Donzi. :boggled: Normally, mine should live on a set of davits on the back of my Carver, but last year I started keeping it on a trailer behind the house. I live in Walnut Grove, and I can take the dinghy over to launch at a little dirt ramp on Railroad Cut and go exploring the skinny waters out past I-5 or up to the Meadows or any number of small water places. And with only a 20 hp Yammi on an 11' boat, you can run it all day on about a nickel's worth of gas!

There's not much to worry about running into. You only need about 3' of water with that 16 - you can go just about anywhere in the delta. There are some stretches that can get a little nasty, like the Sacramento south of Rio Vista, or the San Joaquin on the north side of Webb Tract, but those are both part of the deep water channels and there are plenty of other places more outside the maintained channels that are more interesting anyway. I usually just run the main rivers to get someplace else.

If nothing else, you should plan to come out to Mandiville for the 4th of July. There will be a ton of boats there - we usually get around 1000 for the fireworks. I haven't made my plans yet for this year, but I usually take my Carver 32 up for 4 or 5 days and raft up with some friends. I've taken the Donzi before, but probably not this year as I doubt I'll have the motor back together before then.

FISHIN SUCKS
05-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Finally headed back to the dock, and just as I was climbing out of the boat, another boater walked up on the dock and said, "Sweet, that is really nice." I said, "Thanks" and thought to myself, you bet is, it's a Donzi.
Congratulations on your maiden voyage! What a great story and feeling. I remember back in 2002 when we took our maiden voyage in our first Donzi; all it took was one compliment to make us feel pretty good, but we got about 3 compliments:).

Now Don, get that 22 together and get out there and show inlander how it's done:wink:!

tom