PDA

View Full Version : Sweet 16 outboard questions....

Carbo
05-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Fell in love with this thing. Was sitting for a few years and I had been eying it...........Now I own it. It needs transom work but overall is pretty nice. I plan a deck off restore to do the transom and paint it. First question is the registration shows it as a 1972 but there are no stamped hull numbers. The dash had a few gauges put in it and seems they are right through the dash numbers. The reg shows a number of C16B67.........whats that tell me?

It has an old 200 Mariner on a Paralift jackplate. Has a big aluminum plate on the outside of the transom and I can see it is pulled back a little. Hence the transom rework. Interior stuff is ok but I will get all new cushions with the restore. I read somewhere the deck is glassed in a few places also...is this true?

Here she is:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/100_1055.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/100_1058.jpg

BUIZILLA
05-04-2010, 06:09 PM
The reg shows a number of C16B67.........whats that tell me?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/100_1055.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/100_1058.jpg
16th outboard of 1967

mattyboy
05-04-2010, 07:07 PM
ummmmm no it's the 67th baby 16 built ;)

C = chisholm
16b= model 16 baby
67= number built

judging by the lack of MIC/HIN must be built prior to nov of 72

Cuda
05-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Beautiful boat!

Greg Guimond
05-04-2010, 07:57 PM
That Paralift is waaaaaaaaaaay to much setback. Let me know if you want to get rid of it.

Carbo
05-04-2010, 08:01 PM
So does it make sense that is a 1972....do we have any other hull numbers to compare to? I will try to search through the big outboard post.

And thanks Cuda.

And Greg....you kidding? I know it is a lot but brackets can have 30" of setback....

mattyboy
05-04-2010, 08:04 PM
they started making them in 70, it's a 1972 for sure the 67th built . after nov of 72 it would need to have a stamped HIN on the transom

Greg Guimond
05-04-2010, 08:26 PM
So does it make sense that is a 1972....do we have any other hull numbers to compare to? I will try to search through the big outboard post.

And thanks Cuda.

And Greg....you kidding? I know it is a lot but brackets can have 30" of setback....

What do I know.......your probably right

MOP
05-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Matty has it a usual many 72's had no transom numbers, look under the dash and up by the bow eye you may spot the factory numbers in magic marker. Phil

Carbo
05-04-2010, 08:36 PM
What do I know.......your probably
right

What do you know? I'm new here....you talking from experience? I need to know if it won't work correctly.....I'm not trying to question your knowledge or be a smart azz. Previous owner said it ran good..maybe he's full of it. Will it work? With what I plan to do I would like to know if it is not gonna work. With your buying it comment I was wondering if there was sarcasm or intimate knowledge......seems like I saw your posts in that 16 outboard thread so you probably know something.....:wink:

mattyboy
05-04-2010, 08:48 PM
actually by 72 they had pretty much given up on the handwritten marker and went to the foil tag in the back seat area

maddad
05-04-2010, 09:44 PM
This one came out of the mold right before yours, it's also a '72.

fasttrucker
05-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Mine has a metal tag behind the back seat.Where did you buy it and If I can ask,what did you pay?

Carbo
05-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Mine has a metal tag behind the back seat.Where did you buy it and If I can ask,what did you pay?

Did yours have a number on the transom like 73's?

As for what I paid.......I bought 2 boats at the same time from this guy....the other was a 2000 2250 cierra Bayliner with a 5.0L mercruiser. It sat covered for a year and needs cleaning and an oil pan. I plan to just fix it and sell it. Both boats are on trailers, the Bayliners is an aluminum tandem with 50 miles on it. Keep in mind this was kinda a fire sale and he needed his yard cleaned out and cash talked. I PMed you the amount and I think you will agree the price was right.:) I just do not want to post amount here publicly as it was a unique circumstance.

Is the deck glassed on anywhere or just rubrail screwed?

fasttrucker
05-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Did yours have a number on the transom like 73's?

As for what I paid.......I bought 2 boats at the same time from this guy....the other was a 2000 2250 cierra Bayliner with a 5.0L mercruiser. It sat covered for a year and needs cleaning and an oil pan. I plan to just fix it and sell it. Both boats are on trailers, the Bayliners is an aluminum tandem with 50 miles on it. Keep in mind this was kinda a fire sale and he needed his yard cleaned out and cash talked. I PMed you the amount and I think you will agree the price was right.:) I just do not want to post amount here publicly as it was a unique circumstance.

Is the deck glassed on anywhere or just rubrail screwed?
My donzi had a replaced transom.Maryland gave me a vin number which I put on the transom.In 1972 there is no transom vin numbers used.I dont know about the deck ? sorry.

mattyboy
05-06-2010, 09:57 AM
there were usually tabs glassed in on the ski locker and where the deck meets the stringers in the floor locker area

remove the floor locker and take a look

fasttrucker
05-07-2010, 10:15 AM
My transom was replaced and they should have added knees or rods.Looks simple and adds a lot of support.The knees,you cut some marine plywood in an L-shape,attach to the stringers and the transom,glass it in.

Carbo
05-07-2010, 12:51 PM
My transom was replaced and they should have added knees or rods.Looks simple and adds a lot of support.The knees,you cut some marine plywood in an L-shape,attach to the stringers and the transom,glass it in.

I plan on some extra "knees"......I want it strong. With a jackplate there is a lot of pressure on it. Thanks.

HIGH LIFE
05-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Carbo, Good to see another 16 BABY saved ! Can't see in the pictures of the porta plate, does this unit lift the motor & tilt ? Or is it just a jackplate ? What motor do you intend to use ? I run a 200 Mariner and it flies ! Where do you live, I'm in Ma. "HIGH LIFE"

Carbo
05-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Carbo, Good to see another 16 BABY saved ! Can't see in the pictures of the porta plate, does this unit lift the motor & tilt ? Or is it just a jackplate ? What motor do you intend to use ? I run a 200 Mariner and it flies ! Where do you live, I'm in Ma. "HIGH LIFE"

Here is a pic of the Paralift. It is made by Mercury and uses a 3 cyl outboard TNT system to operate it. It hinges up and closer to the transom or down and further back. It says right on the bracket 500lb Max. I guess that rules out the 800 lb Yammie 350...ha ha. May see what the Mariner needs to run but Last boat I re-did I went with a brand new motor for reliability.

Right now I too much work to do on it first to worry about power. I also need to get rid of the 2nd boat I purchased with it to make room for the Donzi.......

And I live in SW Fla.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/bigsnook1/100_1055-1.jpg