PDA

View Full Version : My 1986 Z-25 project

edeeone21
05-04-2010, 09:28 AM
wassup donzierss heres my upcoming donzing project. i want you guys to take a look at it and let me know what you guys think.
Im seriously in love with the boat ive always loved donzi ever since i was a jit and now i have the oppurtunity to own one ad im ecstatic.:nilly:.

From the little that i know about Donzi im almost 100% sure that the entire boat is original + its only had one owner in NY then he brought the boat down to miami to have it fixed in some marina and now its been sitting there for the past 6 years :wrench: because he never came back for his boat. It was a elderly guy so .. who knos...and on top of that the last year the sticker has posted on the boat is 93:eek:. Im guessing it hasnt touched fresh nor salt water for about 17 years.

It comes with a TRS drive :)

edeeone21
05-04-2010, 09:32 AM
:yes::wink::cool!::kingme:

z33donzi
05-04-2010, 11:04 AM
looks nice hows the stringers? take a real close at them not much difference in my 86z33 i like doing just that taking some thing and working it back to life my problem is i might have enough life to work mine to the finish point lol heres mine in action they look alot alike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNBbYu8Sv1w i ve always loved these older donzi good luck

KerrLake
05-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Save her!

edeeone21
05-04-2010, 08:57 PM
your z33 is niceee man that what iwant mine to look like, but its going to take some time. Your selling it right?
The hull itself looks strong the only issue it has is a very small crack on the bottom left but my uncle works on fiberglass boats so thats no biggie for him. besides that the tranny looks really rusted but lets see maybe the inner is good.
How much do you think this boat AS-IS is worth. no trailer but with a trs drive without the trim cylinders. And then how much do you think itll be worth completly restored (original).

thehow33
05-04-2010, 11:05 PM
It looks like a lot of work, but it will also be a lot of fun watching it come back to life. goodluck and enjoy :)

axelkloehn
05-05-2010, 02:32 AM
...time and $$$...

will you restore and keep it for yourself? Or restore and sell? You might think about compromising during the restoration- you will never get that much money back you put in that thing if you calculate your work and all the parts. And some things you just can't do yourself, you need external help...
It does not matter if you plan to keep it for a long time or lifetime, but keep an eye for good deals either on used or new parts, it will save you a lot of money in the end.
And always find the most satisfying solution for you if you wanna keep it, sometimes good used parts will do their job if a new part is expensive.

Try to find out what would be the best for you, are you the 100% guy or Mr. compromise?
Healthy mixture between 100% and compromise could be the way to go, but don't compromise on lifesaving things like transom, stringers, hull, engine reliability...
Anyway, there will be a lot of help on this board...

Just some words from my experience, have fun with your project!
Axel

LKSD
05-05-2010, 06:47 AM
That would make a nice project. 2 things are for sure, it will take a lot of time & money to turn it around. I too feel those boats are worth saving, but you have to understand what is required to do it. If you are interested in having it done for you we offer those services.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Donzigo
05-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Having done exactly what yo want to do with a Donzi Z-25, 1987 model, I will simply tell you this. You will certainly have to do two expensive things. The fuel tank will need to be replaced (Nope, don't even think about asking about this - this WILL need to be done) and you will have to rebuild several stringers and most probably the transom and other possible bulkheads, etc. The bad thing about it is that you will have to chase the rot until it stops and that might mean replacing every stringer and every bulkhead and every gusset. If the boat has been exposed to rain, then you can be assured that it will have fiberglass work to be done. If you can do this yourself, it's a lot cheaper than having someone else do it. I live in St. Petersburg, Florida but work in Miami half the time. If the boat is in Miami, I will be glad to take a look at it for you. There are many folks that find a boat cheap that is old and they think they can throw a motor in it and go WFO accross the water. Many of these people find themselves in a big money hole fast and they just give up and loose a bundle. Heck, to buy any boat, you got to pass the boaters test, anyway. "That would be where you get a one foot stack of $50 bills and you stuff them down the drain, while sitting on a block of ice in a cold water shower. If you're still having fun when the ice is melted, you are a boater". Bottom line - If you truly fall in love with this Donzi model and in the "Donzi Mystique" (I am one of those people), then you will have a great looking boat with lots of eye appeal; but, it will cost you "mucho dinero" to get there. I spent $44,000 on my restoration of that 1987 Donzi and now, I'm in a bigger game, where I'm not going to tell you how much money I have spent on restoring my 1989 Donzi Z-33................and it doesn't much matter anymore anyway..........but I'll tell you this..........I'm up to the $100 bills now.
Have fun,
Richard Aaron
727-709-2918

Donzigo
05-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Here's where the "Donzi Mystique" will take you..............

edeeone21
05-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Axel i know how expensive this project can be but im not expecting this boat to be out in miami beach any time soon lol you know but luckily i have my uncle that knows how to work with fiberglass and that takes a whole lot of weight of my back.woohhhh.
What im going to start doing first is work on getting the engine started and running untill that engine is no good if it is any good. Then get my uncle to work on the hull and leave the upholstery for the winter or spring. Right there your talking about big bucks.
And thanks alot axel trust me i love boating and this is gonna be trip.

edeeone21
05-05-2010, 01:17 PM
That would make a nice project. 2 things are for sure, it will take a lot of time & money to turn it around. I too feel those boats are worth saving, but you have to understand what is required to do it. If you are interested in having it done for you we offer those services.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Thanks I appreciate it :)

axelkloehn
05-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Axel i know how expensive this project can be but im not expecting this boat to be out in miami beach any time soon lol you know but luckily i have my uncle that knows how to work with fiberglass and that takes a whole lot of weight of my back.woohhhh.
What im going to start doing first is work on getting the engine started and running untill that engine is no good if it is any good. Then get my uncle to work on the hull and leave the upholstery for the winter or spring. Right there your talking about big bucks.
And thanks alot axel trust me i love boating and this is gonna be trip.

You've got the right attitude. It surely will be a fine boat sometime :yes:

edeeone21
05-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Donziago..
Those arent fake 100$ bills right just in case that you werent having fun lol just messing with you no i can tell that you are A TRUE BOATER with those 2 big dog donzis you have,wow B E A UITFUL, by the way is that in the keys sure loks like it.
ohh nd yess im goin to take out that gas tank clean it out till it looks brand new.

Well i appreciate you giving me a heads up donziago. One of these days or weeks ill give you a call to see if your around miami area so you can take a look at it .. Thanks again:)

Donzigo
05-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Behind my house in St. Petersburg..............

ohh nd yess im goin to take out that gas tank clean it out till it looks brand new.

REPLACED my man, you can't clean it.......... the damage is below the tank on the underside .............. $500, maybe more ................so, you see how it get's expensive fast, right?

You would be better to buy one that is already running and restored. Even if they gave you the boat,it will cost more than buying a running boat, trust me.

My fiberglass guy worked on my boat for weeks, you're uncle must be a special guy ......... the work is back breaking and dirty.

MOP
05-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Being an old boat mechanic " NOT WITH A TEN FOOT POLE " to scary sitting that long, you will put in a lot more $$$$$ then you would spend finding a turn key boat!

KerrLake
05-06-2010, 10:43 AM
I have been restoring that exact boat. Donzigo is right about it not being cheap! I could have bought a late model boat at this point. I still love my boat though. It is definately not a patch up job. I have a new transom, gas tank, engine, trans, rebuilt drive, gel coat work, gauges, etc,etc,etc. an I'm still not finished. You won't get the money you put into that boat out of it, but I really hope you save her. It is a fun boat for sure.

edeeone21
05-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Behind my house in St. Petersburg..............

REPLACED my man, you can't clean it.......... the damage is below the tank on the underside .............. $500, maybe more ................so, you see how it get's expensive fast, right?

You would be better to buy one that is already running and restored. Even if they gave you the boat,it will cost more than buying a running boat, trust me.

My fiberglass guy worked on my boat for weeks, you're uncle must be a special guy ......... the work is back breaking and dirty.

LOL YEAAA that baby isnt gonna touch the water for another 6 months.. I have PLENTYYY of things to do to her before..
My uncle has worked on yachts and boat of all kind so he can do the job.
Ill keep you posted so you can be updated on the project

edeeone21
05-06-2010, 01:18 PM
How much do you think my boat restored and original to the bone is worth?

VetteLT193
05-06-2010, 01:40 PM
How much do you think my boat restored and original to the bone is worth?

as close to perfect as possible might see mid to high teens. I'd guess 15k. less than perfect they can be found for 10k-ish.

Unfortunatley they don't pull the same exclusiveness that the Classics enjoy so from many buyers perspectives you are lumped in with all the similar go-fasts from the era. There are a lot to choose from in Excellent condition in the 10k area so that is where you'll be compared.

Donzigo
05-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Vette is right ............ around 15K

FISHIN SUCKS
05-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Here's where the "Donzi Mystique" will take you..............
I am liking the 'Donzi Navy':yes::yes:!!! I knew you had the Crossbow, didn't know you had the 25......very cool!