PDA

View Full Version : bestfuel tank install on my 1967 sportsman

cpt.scuba
05-03-2010, 01:25 PM
ok i am ready to install the new fuel tanks .... should i set them against the hull or put something under like the origianls had .... foam them in or ....??

MOP
05-03-2010, 02:52 PM
IMO would do a good job of measuring the space then go onto West Marines site and see if you can match up some poly tanks. Poly so far has proven to be a great product, no issues with alcohol or corrosion.

cpt.scuba
05-03-2010, 05:08 PM
thanx already got new aluminum tanks .. just wonder wheather to set them direcctly on hull ... foam or no foam

Dads Thunder
05-03-2010, 10:09 PM
ON FOAM FOR SURE !!!!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

MOP
05-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Sorry did not fully read your post I am also a big proponent of foam as many know about the foam wars on this board! It provides the best support makes the tanks part of the boat structurally, no one wants to hear bumping in the bilge!

cpt.scuba
05-04-2010, 10:48 AM
ok foam for sure ... but do i set the tanks on the hull directly ... the old tanks had small balsa wood blocks under them ... i was thinking of starboard under the tanks ??? strips

MOP
05-04-2010, 02:26 PM
It is a good idea to raise them slightly to allow the foam to get under them, very important you solidly chock them in place before foaming. When the foam kicks off it will push quite hard in all directions, we had a couple of occasions where we had to pull the new tank back do a clean up and start over. They will lift 6-8 cinder blocks so you know that does not work, 2X4's screwed in place is the only way. Make sure you have them where they will stay!!!! Check G Carters post on his Minx he has some great shots!

Phil

Dads Thunder
05-04-2010, 03:11 PM
The correct way is MOP explaining . I have Foam under mine and in between also all around . Good LUCK...

cpt.scuba
05-04-2010, 05:41 PM
thanx guys i will make sure its screwed down tight before the foam ...