PDA

View Full Version : Will windaways work on a frameless 22c windshield?

Tborisch
05-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Hey Guys, the windshield on my 22c is the frameless thick plexi version. It's pretty thick. Anybody using windaways on one of these? Just want to check before I order.

Thanks,
Tom

MOP
05-02-2010, 07:11 PM
The ones that Ken Chachi has are stick on and work very well, quite a few on the board are using them. I will tell him to drop in and tell you about them.

Phil

Tony
05-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Phil, I thought Ken uses this for his air management;
http://www.saeng.com/category.php?category=80

Or...maybe he uses both, so as not to muss up his coiffure! :shades:

:beer:

Carl C
05-03-2010, 05:16 AM
They will fit. The clamps are adjustable. The brochure says 5/16 to 1" thick. My aluminum fairing is even thinner and they work. I use pillow cases to store mine.

CHACHI
05-03-2010, 05:53 AM
Tom, Tony has the link to the Micro edge site.

Personally they work fantistic for me. I can wear a hat at 70 with no problems or fears of it blowing off and absolutly no wind noise.

The edging is not removable like wind wings, but I don't have to store it either.

Cockpit cover fits with the edging in place.

The photo on there site is my windshield. If you have any questions, PM me.

Ken

Tborisch
05-03-2010, 06:14 AM
Hey Ken,

it's hard to tell by the photo just how big it really is. How big is it?

Thanks,
Tom

BUIZILLA
05-03-2010, 06:46 AM
I have used this on 2 Beemer motorcycle windscreens, and an FJ1300 Yammi, and I gotta say it works surprising well for a cheap solution... don't let the price fool you, it works... I had the Yammi well past abuckforty, and my helmet shield didn't even flutter...

Tborisch
05-03-2010, 06:51 AM
I have used this on 2 Beemer motorcycle windscreens, and an FJ1300 Yammi, and I gotta say it works surprising well for a cheap solution... don't let the price fool you, it works... I had the Yammi well past abuckforty, and my helmet shield didn't even flutter...

how big is it? Tall and wide?

Thanks,
Tom

Carl C
05-03-2010, 07:13 AM
Just one more thing to think about. My wind-aways are only used about 20% of the time. On a hot day the wind in the face feels good. Nice to have an option.

Tborisch
05-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Just one more thing to think about. My wind-aways are only used about 20% of the time. On a hot day the wind in the face feels good. Nice to have an option.

good point!

I just bought 5 pairs of Wiley-x nerve goggles to hand out. But want something for the less than white knuckle rides :)

Carl, can you hear your engine and talk to a passenger without yelling going 65?

Tom

tom

CHACHI
05-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Tom, the edging is sold by the foot. I think 6 foot covered my frame.

It stands maybe an inch proud of the windsheild frame.

Before I installed it, the wind noise was deafening, now I can hear the engine or hold a conversation.

ken

VetteLT193
05-03-2010, 09:30 AM

+1. My biggest complaint with the Minx windshield was it worked too good. On hot days we would almost melt.

The best classic shield in my opinion is the mid 80's one with the flip up tabs. I'd do anything to replicate that or stick with optional wind like Carl's method.

Carl C
05-03-2010, 09:32 AM
good point!
I just bought 5 pairs of Wiley-x nerve goggles to hand out. But want something for the less than white knuckle rides :)
Carl, can you hear your engine and talk to a passenger without yelling going 65?
Tom
tom

We can talk but we have to yell a bit but it is due to engine noise, not wind. With the WAs off there isn't much conversing! I keep a big zip-loc bag of random sunglasses on board. Most were left on the boat and I was unable to match them with their owners.

mattyboy
05-03-2010, 10:46 AM
I must be missing something, didn't the frameless windshield have built in wind deflectors on it??? the 87 22 I looked at had them molded right in to the tinted plexi?? Kenny Lessard's 22 LE has the same.

Tborisch
05-03-2010, 11:09 AM
I must be missing something, didn't the frameless windshield have built in wind deflectors on it??? the 87 22 I looked at had them molded right in to the tinted plexi?? Kenny Lessard's 22 LE has the same.

Mine is an 03, and I promise they are not there... and if they are.. they suck.. and you cant see em. :)

Tom

mattyboy
05-03-2010, 11:28 AM
ooops forgot the newer ones went back to a frameless shield

VetteLT193
05-03-2010, 11:45 AM
ooops forgot the newer ones went back to a frameless shield

not only frameless but shorter in the front. The older ones with the tabs are noticeably taller in the front + have the tabs

Cuda
05-03-2010, 11:48 AM
+1. My biggest complaint with the Minx windshield was it worked too good. On hot days we would almost melt.
The best classic shield in my opinion is the mid 80's one with the flip up tabs. I'd do anything to replicate that or stick with optional wind like Carl's method.
The Minx has a turned up bit of windsheild that makes a heck of a difference alone.

Rodger
05-03-2010, 01:21 PM
My 22 has an all plexiglass windshield, .375" thick. I made wind deflectors for it that clamp on using an over-center clamp. It just snaps on in a couple seconds. I made these over 20 years ago and use them often. They do not appear to noticably strain the windshield. The nice part, as mentioned above, they can used when needed which does not include those hot days. On the marginal days when only the passenger is annoyed by the wind; I only use the deflector on that side leaving me with the wind.

Carl C
05-03-2010, 01:41 PM
The nice part, as mentioned above, they can used when needed which does not include those hot days. On the marginal days when only the passenger is annoyed by the wind; I only use the deflector on that side leaving me with the wind.

Ditto, or vice versa.

Tony
05-03-2010, 07:34 PM
It stands maybe an inch proud of the windsheild frame.

ken

Ken, I bet the Microswirl Edging adds about 1/2", instead of 1".

Not that we're quibbling about size, or anything!

Planetwarmer
05-03-2010, 07:51 PM
1987 22C windshield

Cuda
05-03-2010, 08:06 PM
A 1982 22 foot channeled the air right in your face.

yeller
05-04-2010, 01:57 AM
Phil, I thought Ken uses this for his air management;
http://www.saeng.com/category.php?category=80

Or...maybe he uses both, so as not to muss up his coiffure! :shades:

:beer:I tried that too...thanks to Chachi. I installed it on an 04 plexi windshield. It sits about 1/2" ~ 5/8" high and moved the air flow up about 6". If that's all you need then I highly recommend it. On the newer smoked windshields it is barely noticeable. For me, the air still hits me in the eyes.

CHACHI
05-04-2010, 05:47 AM
Ken, I bet the Microswirl Edging adds about 1/2", instead of 1".

Not that we're quibbling about size, or anything!

Jeez Tony, I did say maybe, but you are right, who is quibbling. :wink:
Ken

Rodger
05-04-2010, 07:56 AM
A 1982 22 foot channeled the air right in your face.

That's what my 78 22' did, which was fine on hot days. My home-made deflectors eliminate that problem at the times I choose.