PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude FICHT 225 injectors

handfulz28
05-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Jim, can you work on these? Anybody feel free to add ideas please.

10/2000 build date. Dad's CC engine running crappy. Been running great since Billy's Outboard did the EMM a few years ago. Couple weeks ago just started acting up; won't idle below 1500, runs very rough.

My dad has gone through most of the diagnostics that can be done without the software. He's ready to send off the EMM, I still think it's a fuel issue.

BUIZILLA
05-02-2010, 06:54 PM
send em on in...

MOP
05-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Several of the commercial guys out this way use injector cleaner at every fill up, that and over sized Racors to combat the added moisture in the fuel. They can't afford the down time!

Team Jefe
05-03-2010, 06:09 AM
Clean fuel is a key, but also has the factory recommended "fix" been done. This involves clocking the injectors so they spray at a certain degreee (What I don't know) and several other things...the details of which I don't know. All I do know is that the FICHT's I had were VERY finicky, overheated all the time and constantly did not like the fuel I was using. This "fix" had been done before I bought them "used" and had my mechanic verify and check them out (him I trust completely) and said they were OK

I was recommended to use mid-grade at the time for Octane consistency, but super my be better now if you have ethonal in your fuel. Always used Sta-bil....and the Sta-bil Ethonal fuel treatment, and used name brand gas for teh detergent value....AND even ran some valve-tech gas and fuel treatment every 4-5th tank.

I am a Rude-Dude, but those motor are a serious PITA:nilly:my best advice....get the software and a PDA or mini-laptop and learn to check the codes yourself....

.....Or do what I did....sell the freakin things and buy new E-Tec's

handfulz28
05-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks Jim. He's calling DFI tomorrow for last-ditch ideas on what to check before tearing anything down. Small world - he works for Airtech which is two blocks north of you. I don't know how often he actually goes to the shop.

I think he's had everything done as far as factory bulletin type stuff. This was just a weird "it ran fine on the way down, all of a sudden runs like crap on the way home" kind of thing. He used the old school "count the lights" method to check codes and nothing there.

He insists on using StarBrite diesel fuel additive because somebody told him it was twice as strong. I keep telling him to stop using that and use an ethanol specific additive.

Some of you "retirement age" guys are so stubbornly set in your ways...LOL :kingme: