PDA

View Full Version : Think the tow rig will work?

fogducker III
04-30-2010, 11:01 PM
So the Willys has NO problem towing the boat, just wondering if she can STOP the boat if need be.........:eek::boggled::confused:

I have a set of new 11" drums to replace the 9" stock drums so it should help, just need to take it easy on the first trip out.......Yeller, you there??

CaribouLou
04-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Too short of a wheelbase to be safe IMO. Short distances should be ok though.

yeller
05-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Well, 99.9% of the people here will say your nuts............but for what you want to do, I'd say no problem.

The short wheel base would only be a factor at higher speeds and that POS half size vehicle will never go over 30mph anyways :biggrin.:, so braking is all you have to worry about. If the trailer brakes are in good working order I wouldn't hesitate. The fact you have drum brakes on the trailer is in your favor. Drums will actually work better on your trailer than discs.

gcarter
05-01-2010, 06:32 AM
I agree w/Glen. If you're like me, 99% of my towing is less than five miles.
No problem.

WifeHatesMyDonzi
05-01-2010, 06:34 AM
I had a 61 Willys, and it was one of the coolest vehicles I have owned because of its simplicity.Driving it reminds you of how simple and honest life should be. Press the accelerater and max out at 45, or put it in "granny" and she would climb up a tree. Open the hood and you could actually see and name every part that she was made up of. The good ole days.

Cuda
05-01-2010, 07:11 AM
Too short of wheel base. I could move my boats around with a four wheeler, it didn't mean I would take it out on the highway. A lot of boat yards use a riding mower to move boats around. I wouldn't suggest them for towing either.

BUIZILLA
05-01-2010, 07:58 AM
putting everything in perspective here...

that's an oxymoron tow package ifn there ever was one... LOL

fogducker III
05-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Perhaps I should have clarified a few things, no, I do not plan on hauling the boat to AOTH with the Jeep....:eek:

The local boat ramp is about 2-3 miles away, no highway driving, although the Willys does just fine on the highway at a steady, rock solid 50mph (80kms) which is our highway speed limit......:wink: I put a Saturn overdrive unit in her which gives me a hi/low in every gear.......:cool: I agree that the wheel base is short, but for what I plan should be a non-issue.....

I agree Glenn that the trailer brakes are my saving grace and I will be installing the all round 11" drum upgrade "kit" on the Jeep and should be good to go, I don't think I will see another tow package similar any time in the future........

Hey Buz, not sure what you mean by oxymoron tow package? I know what the word means but doesn't really make sense...:confused:

Anyhow, I think it will be a fun summer way to launch and retreive the Donzi......now lets go boating!!! How does Tuesday or Wednesday work for you Glenn?

CaribouLou
05-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Friday the weather should be good. Maybe meet up in the islands?

Cuda
05-01-2010, 09:33 AM
When you see the boat pass the Jeep ass first you will think about the wheelbase I promise you. What do you normally pull it with?

fogducker III
05-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Friday the weather should be good. Maybe meet up in the islands?

Now your talking.........:wink:

fogducker III
05-01-2010, 09:36 AM
When you see the boat pass the Jeep ass first you will think about the wheelbase I promise you. What do you normally pull it with?

For what I am doing I can't see that happening unless I drive like an "oxymoron" :wink:

My towing rig is a 2005 F150 Quad cab with the 5.7......does just fine.

fogducker III
05-01-2010, 09:49 AM
It looks like it can handle a fair weight.......75mm Howie....:eek:

Cuda
05-01-2010, 10:03 AM
For what I am doing I can't see that happening unless I drive like an "oxymoron" :wink:

I'd just tow it with that. I had a 99 F 150 with a 5.4 4wd that towed everything I owned, including my tavel trailer. It pulled my 302 Formual fine, but stopping it was problematic at best. Best truck I ever owned. Put 122,000 miles on it and all I did was change the oil and filter. I had to put an alternator on at 111,000 miles, and sold it to the first guy that looked at it. I hauled a ton of quarry tile from St Pete to Sebring with it with no problems. The only reason I sold it was to buy a 3/4 ton for stopping the 302.

DonziJon
05-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Never thought of this before. Do trailer brakes work when backing down the launch ramp? :confused:

zelatore
05-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Well, obviously it's not a good tow vehicle for any distance at all and I'd never head out on the highway with it unless somebody had a gun to my head.

It would be excellent for launching and retrieving the boat, or moving it around the drive/shop since it's such a short wheelbase and it's likely geared to crawl and make good use of it's limited power.

So the question is, would I use it tow the boat a couple miles to the ramp and back? Well....I know I shouldn't, but I might. If it were all back roads and low speeds where that short wheelbase wouldn't be such an issue then yeah, I probably would. It would just be too cool to pass up.

But of course, the correct answer is no, no, a thousand times no!

fogducker III
05-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Well, obviously it's not a good tow vehicle for any distance at all and I'd never head out on the highway with it unless somebody had a gun to my head.

It would be excellent for launching and retrieving the boat, or moving it around the drive/shop since it's such a short wheelbase and it's likely geared to crawl and make good use of it's limited power.

So the question is, would I use it tow the boat a couple miles to the ramp and back? Well....I know I shouldn't, but I might. If it were all back roads and low speeds were that short wheelbase wouldn't be such an issue then yeah, I probably would. It would just be too cool to pass up.

But of course, the correct answer is no, no, a thousand times no!

I agree with you 100%......I would never consider taking the package any distance nor on the highway, but on a nice hot summer day with the bimini top off it would be way cool to cruise slowly down to the ramp and lauch......I did drive it around the block the other day and as I said, it tows it easily, my concern was stopping, but with the combination of well adjusted and maintained trailer brakes and larger, modern drums on the Jeep I think it will be OK.......

Donzijon, my brakes are hydralic "surge" brakes and I imagine as you back down the weight of the boat pulls on the tongue unit so it would not apply the brakes...:confused:

yeller
05-01-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't know if I'd try and hit 50mph with it, but if you stay off the highway, I really don't see a problem at 30mph.

I think I misunderstood your brake upgrade comment. I thought that was for the trailer. Does the trailer have brakes? With brakes on the trailer..no problem. No trailer brakes...risky.

Don't know if I can go out early as Mon/Tue. I have to wait till Monday to see when I can book a time to take the boating test. I know...I had three years of warning that it had to get done......:frown:

yeller
05-01-2010, 10:45 AM
...but with the combination of well adjusted and maintained trailer brakes and larger, modern drums on the Jeep I think it will be OK.......
I guess that answers my question.

I tow my 22C with a short box, extended cab, Nissan Frontier without any problems whatsoever. Truck to trailer, weight to weight ratio probably isn't toooooo far of from what your trying do. Obviously your trailer to truck ratio will be higher, but at 30mph and below, I can't see it being a factor.

McGary911
05-01-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm really not a truck guy, but I'll need something to tow the boat with. I love CJ-5s, but the wheelbase thing says that's not a good idea. I could always do a CJ-7 for a few more inches, but I don't know if that would be any good for even my 4 mile tow to the ramp. :confused:

Just with a jeep, I'd have something that I'd enjoy rather than something that's just a boat tower......

fogducker III
05-01-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't know if I'd try and hit 50mph with it, but if you stay off the highway, I really don't see a problem at 30mph.

I think I misunderstood your brake upgrade comment. I thought that was for the trailer. Does the trailer have brakes? With brakes on the trailer..no problem. No trailer brakes...risky.

Don't know if I can go out early as Mon/Tue. I have to wait till Monday to see when I can book a time to take the boating test. I know...I had three years of warning that it had to get done......:frown:

Perhaps if we aim for Thursday or Friday? Caribou Lou mentioned meeting up with us somewhere in the Islands...? I am going out on the first sunny/calm day I can but am up for a run later in the week as well...:)

yeller
05-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Let's tentively try for Thu/Fri....weather dependent. If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll get the boat running. Hopefully I can find some to take the boating test with. It's always such a PITA trying to get something done quickly on the island. Just not as many options as Vancouver.

The one thing that might kill Friday for me is I have some big-wigs visiting my stores that day. I should be good to go by 11~12, but the time has not been confirmed yet.

Call me when you go out if you want a passenger. I might be able to get away.

Cuda
05-01-2010, 11:24 AM
I just traded a 99 F 250 with a 5.4 that had 265,000 miles on it that still ran like a top and burned no oil. I traded for a car.

zelatore
05-01-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm really not a truck guy, but I'll need something to tow the boat with. I love CJ-5s, but the wheelbase thing says that's not a good idea. I could always do a CJ-7 for a few more inches, but I don't know if that would be any good for even my 4 mile tow to the ramp. :confused:

Just with a jeep, I'd have something that I'd enjoy rather than something that's just a boat tower......

If it was to be your only tow rig, I wouldn't go for a Jeep. CJ-5, CJ-7, heck not even an JK. Not enough size, not enough power. (well, OK, there are ways around the lack of power...)

For what Jeremy is doing, where he'll use his truck for his 'real' tow rig but wants to use the Jeep to put to-from the launch ramp sure, it'll work. But let's just say that even though I'd like to buy a Jeep myself about now, and it would be much easier if I sold my truck, replacing the truck with a Jeep just isn't an option.

Cuda
05-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Never thought of this before. Do trailer brakes work when backing down the launch ramp? :confused:
My trailer brakes had an electric lock out when you put it in reverse.

fogducker III
05-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Let's tentively try for Thu/Fri....weather dependent. If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll get the boat running. Hopefully I can find some to take the boating test with. It's always such a PITA trying to get something done quickly on the island. Just not as many options as Vancouver.

The one thing that might kill Friday for me is I have some big-wigs visiting my stores that day. I should be good to go by 11~12, but the time has not been confirmed yet.

Call me when you go out if you want a passenger. I might be able to get away.

Sounds good I will give you a shout.....

Why not do the boaters test on line? All you need is for the wife or somebody else to register to make sure you don't cheat...:wink:

http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/

Cuda
05-01-2010, 11:29 AM

I'm sure it's a 5.4 not a 5.7. 5.7 is a Chebby engine.

fogducker III
05-01-2010, 11:34 AM

My last tow rig was a Grand Cherokee with the straight six, had no problems towing almost anything....

fogducker III
05-01-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm sure it's a 5.4 not a 5.7. 5.7 is a Chebby engine.

Yup, your right, Triton 5.4 XLT F150........my bad.......:frown:

Cuda
05-01-2010, 11:36 AM
For as much trouble it would be to keep two hitches,or swap then and wire the Jeep for lights,I'd drive the F 150. I live less than a mile from the boat launch, and I'd just get in the F 150, turn on the a/c a let 'er eat!

Cuda
05-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Yup, your right, Triton 5.4 XLT F150........my bad.......:frown:
Tritons are either a 5.4, or a 4.6. I've had them both.

Cuda
05-01-2010, 11:40 AM
My last tow rig was a Grand Cherokee with the straight six, had no problems towing almost anything....
A Cherokee is a poor excuse for a Jeep. They don't hold their value at all.

DonziJon
05-01-2010, 01:44 PM
My trailer brakes had an electric lock out when you put it in reverse.

This is what I was thinking. Depending how Light Weight the little Jeep is.. and how steep the ramp is.... is it possible the boat could TOW the Jeep down a ramp if the ramp is only slightly slippery with sand or slime ? :bonk:

A little weight transfer (tongue lift) on the incline could exacerbate the Jeeps light weight rear end. :lookaroun:

fogducker III
05-01-2010, 01:49 PM
A Cherokee is a poor excuse for a Jeep. They don't hold their value at all.

No offense, but is your cup ever half FULL instead of always half EMPTY..?

The Grand was an excellent vehicle for my needs, and I have had numerous Jeeps and other vehicles and the Jeeps are more than capable, plus if something did happen to go wrong they were easy to fix...:wrench:

fogducker III
05-01-2010, 01:51 PM
This is what I was thinking. Depending how Light Weight the little Jeep is.. and how steep the ramp is.... is it possible the boat could TOW the jeep down a ramp if the ramp is only slightly slippery with sand or slime ? :bonk:

A little weight transfer (tongue lift) on the incline could exacerbate the Jeeps light weight rear end. :lookaroun:

I have parked the Jeep on a far steeper hill then the boat ramp at the lowest tide and had no problem, brakes hold fine, and that is before the new larger drums...:wink:

DonziJon
05-01-2010, 02:02 PM
I have parked the Jeep on a far steeper hill then the boat ramp at the lowest tide and had no problem, brakes hold fine, and that is before the new larger drums...:wink:

The problem, if there was one on the ramp would be the brakes lock and the TIRES Slip. Bigger drums would make that happen sooner. Just playing devils advocate. :wink:

Cuda
05-01-2010, 05:50 PM

The Grand was an excellent vehicle for my needs, and I have had numerous Jeeps and other vehicles and the Jeeps are more than capable, plus if something did happen to go wrong they were easy to fix...:wrench:
I just call them as I see them. A Cherokee isn't a good offroad Jeep and isn't much of a tow vehicle.
I reckon I could blow sunshine at ya. :)

Cuda
05-01-2010, 05:55 PM

A 4 wd F150 will out tow a Jeep, and pull the Cherokee out when it is stuck. I had to drive from St Pete to Lakeland to pull out my buddy who just bought a Grand Cherokee and made the mistake of thinking he bought an off road vehicle. The Cherokee does neither well.

fogducker III
05-01-2010, 08:32 PM
A 4 wd F150 will out tow a Jeep, and pull the Cherokee out when it is stuck. I had to drive from St Pete to Lakeland to pull out my buddy who just bought a Grand Cherokee and made the mistake of thinking he bought an off road vehicle. The Cherokee does neither well.

Don't worry, you will wake up from your dream one day.......I have 4x4'd all my life, REAL 4x4ing, and it is a lot different from towing something from A to B and a Cherokee will out 4x4 any Ford out there, IF the driver knows what they are doing.......having said that, even if the driver doesn't......

Look Cuda, you and I have not seen eye to eye about anything since I joined this site and it appears you have issues with many others, that, I don't care about, I do however take issue that almost every post I make you pipe up with some irrelavant drival that, at times, makes no sense.

Yes this is the internet and anybody can basically say whatever they want and have any opinion they feel suits the bill.....I am just pointing out that you know NOTHING about 4x4'ing and from the sounds of it, towing anything........JMHO.....:wink:

CaribouLou
05-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Well put.

Cuda
05-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Don't worry, you will wake up from your dream one day.......I have 4x4'd all my life, REAL 4x4ing, and it is a lot different from towing something from A to B and a Cherokee will out 4x4 any Ford out there, IF the driver knows what they are doing.......having said that, even if the driver doesn't......

Look Cuda, you and I have not seen eye to eye about anything since I joined this site and it appears you have issues with many others, that, I don't care about, I do however take issue that almost every post I make you pipe up with some irrelavant drival that, at times, makes no sense.

Yes this is the internet and anybody can basically say whatever they want and have any opinion they feel suits the bill.....I am just pointing out that you know NOTHING about 4x4'ing and from the sounds of it, towing anything........JMHO.....:wink:
I never went out of my way to give you trouble. I'm sorry if we just disagree, and I'm going to have to disagree with you again. In Florida, 4 wheeling is in the mud. You are lucky to find a rock in the entire state. A Ford truck will out mud a Jeep Cherokee. It was in Green Swamp outside Lakeland that I had to drive my F 150 to pull out the Grand Cherokee. It screwed that truck up badly. Water in everything. This is not an opinion, it's a fact.

CaribouLou
05-01-2010, 09:09 PM
I've pulled lifted super dutys on 35+" tires in a Grand, fact.

Your argument is weak at best.

Cuda
05-01-2010, 09:44 PM
I've pulled lifted super dutys on 35+" tires in a Grand, fact.
Your argument is weak at best.
Good for you. I suppose that was in Canada where rocks aren't so hard to find.

CaribouLou
05-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Socal actually, in sand. But since Florida is the centre of earth, Jeremy and I must be backwards hillbilly yeehaws with no ability of knowing anything.

Edit for iPhone typo on Florida spelling. Sorry :)

mrfixxall
05-01-2010, 10:20 PM
no offence to anybody! :)

Known fact! a short wheelbase (jeep/bronco/blazer) will out mud any HEAVY regular wheel base truck period! with the rite set up a jeep will out mud all of them,their lighter and they will float over the mud if you attack the mud fase enough, a pick up will nose dive in the mud before it even had a chance to get on top of it...Also a long wheel base truck will bottom out on hills (frame)where a jeep wont because of the short wheel base..

FD,,if you really worried about the jeep going in the drink i would reccomend installing inline brake lock,,check it out..If you have a single cylinder master it will lock all four brakes..

http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2113

GBond
05-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Shouldn't be a problem at all. Tow it the 3-4 miles at a responsible speed and foreget about what the rest think. You knew the answer before you asked! :biggrin.:

GBond
05-02-2010, 12:24 AM
BTW... Nice jeep!

yeller
05-02-2010, 04:40 AM
Why not do the boaters test on line? All you need is for the wife or somebody else to register to make sure you don't cheat...:wink:
Wife can't do it. It can't be a relation. I knew I shouldn't have married my sister. :screwy::tooth:

Why don't you sign up as a supervisor. It's no cost. Then I'll come your way with some :beer: and I'll take the test.

Cuda
05-02-2010, 06:24 AM

Known fact! a short wheelbase (jeep/bronco/blazer) will out mud any HEAVY regular wheel base truck period! with the rite set up a jeep will out mud all of them,their lighter and they will float over the mud if you attack the mud fase enough, a pick up will nose dive in the mud before it even had a chance to get on top of it...Also a long wheel base truck will bottom out on hills (frame)where a jeep wont because of the short wheel base..

FD,,if you really worried about the jeep going in the drink i would reccomend installing inline brake lock,,check it out..If you have a single cylinder master it will lock all four brakes..

A regular Jeep is good for mud, but a Cherokee isn't a regular jeep. I'm talking about the CJ series.

Cuda
05-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Socal actually, in sand. But since Florida is the centre of earth, Jeremy and I must be backwards hillbilly yeehaws with no ability of knowing anything.

Edit for iPhone typo on Florida spelling. Sorry :)

The two of you can get together and sing Kumbya for all I care.

I only talk about what I know. I don't know Canadian.:bonk:

fogducker III
05-02-2010, 07:45 PM

Thanks Fix, exactly one of the items I am considering.......:wink:

fogducker III
05-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Wife can't do it. It can't be a relation. I knew I shouldn't have married my sister. :screwy::tooth:

Why don't you sign up as a supervisor. It's no cost. Then I'll come your way with some :beer: and I'll take the test.

I beleive Jacqui signed up to "supervise" me......:eek:

I will check and see if she can still get on the site etc.......I will call you when I go out this week, first sunny day........:wink:

CaribouLou
05-03-2010, 03:17 AM
The two of you can get together and sing Kumbya for all I care.
I only talk about what I know. I don't know Canadian.:bonk:
That must be a heavy chip you haul around...

Cuda
05-03-2010, 06:57 AM
Get off my ass. If it makes you happy to get on me, have at it asswipe.
I've owned more Donzis, and have done more mudding than you ever thought of. Keep your Canadian opinions to yourself. Stay north of the 48th parallel, and we can both be happy, of course you will have to change your Donzi to an icebreaker, but that shouldn't be a problem with for a fricking genius of your capabilities.
I didn't see a word about it yesterday, but you had to start it up again. Don't you have anything more important to do? If not, feel free to come to Florida and polish my knob.

fogducker III
05-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Get off my ass. If it makes you happy to get on me, have at it asswipe.
I've owned more Donzis, and have done more mudding than you ever thought of. Keep your Canadian opinions to yourself. Stay north of the 48th parallel, and we can both be happy, of course you will have to change your Donzi to an icebreaker, but that shouldn't be a problem with for a fricking genius of your capabilities.
I didn't see a word about it yesterday, but you had to start it up again. Don't you have anything more important to do? If not, feel free to come to Florida and polish my knob.

I was more than polite up to this point but your above post just proves to me how much of a self centered, ignorant, rude and uneducated individual you are. I am really not sure of your problem but almost every post you make is negative and most are irrelavant to the threads you post them on, are you on meds?

I will not "lump" you in with other people or nationalities because everybody is INDIVIDUALLY responsible for their actions and you sir are an idiot.....:mad:

You do not own the rights on boating or off-roading expereince, there are many out there, myself included, that would run circles around you in both.......now get off your high horse and try and at least be a little more civil.......:yes:

Cuda
05-03-2010, 10:13 AM
I was more than polite up to this point but your above post just proves to me how much of a self centered, ignorant, rude and uneducated individual you are. I am really not sure of your problem but almost every post you make is negative and most are irrelavant to the threads you post them on, are you on meds?

I will not "lump" you in with other people or nationalities because everybody is INDIVIDUALLY responsible for their actions and you sir are an idiot.....:mad:

You do not own the rights on boating or off-roading expereince, there are many out there, myself included, that would run circles around you in both.......now get off your high horse and try and at least be a little more civil.......:yes:
Go play a nice game of hide and go fck yourself.
Come knock me off my high horse if you think you can.

Cuda
05-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Lets see Mr Fudrucker, your history on here goes back to 2008, and mine back to 2001. Who do you think is more educated in this field?

If your not going to respect your elders, you better learn to respect your betters. I don't hear anyone else except you two sissies complaining.

fogducker III
05-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Lets see Mr Fudrucker, your history on here goes back to 2008, and mine back to 2001. Who do you think is more educated in this field?

If your not going to respect your elders, you better learn to respect your betters. I don't hear anyone else except you two sissies complaining.

Oh my, you really do have some issues don't you?

Just because you have been sitting in front of your computer on this site for 7 more years than I does NOT make you an expert in diddly squat!

I don't respect anybody who talks like you and spouts off at the mouth about things they know very little about. I don't need to knock you off your high horse" your doing a great job almost falling off it yourself....:wink:

How many boats do you actually own now? When was the last time you have been out in a boat or been 4x4ing? My guess is not recently.......

Cuda, you are one bitter man......

CaribouLou
05-03-2010, 10:53 AM
I still don't think he's put it together that I live in the states.

But yes Jeremy, you're right on the money with everything.

Dumb Canadian ;)

fogducker III
05-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Go Canucks.........:canada::tv::popcorn::canada::drin kbeer::thumbsup:

RickSE
05-03-2010, 11:23 AM
The problem, if there was one on the ramp would be the brakes lock and the TIRES Slip. Bigger drums would make that happen sooner. Just playing devils advocate. :wink:

We slid down a ramp once with a 33ZX behind a 1/2-Ton. It's not that big of a deal; as soon as the boat hits the water the weight pulling you down goes away and the truck stops.

I'd tow with it.

fogducker III
05-03-2010, 11:38 AM
We slid down a ramp once with a 33ZX behind a 1/2-Ton. It's not that big of a deal; as soon as the boat hits the water the weight pulling you down goes away and the truck stops.

I'd tow with it.

I really never thought of that, very good point. As long as you are not going too fast, as soon as the boat hits the water and gets buoyancy the weight disappears...:)

Just Say N20
05-03-2010, 12:03 PM
I really never thought of that, very good point. As long as you are not going too fast, as soon as the boat hits the water and gets buoyancy the weight disappears...:)

OK, I'm with you so far. The boat hits the water, begins to float, so the weight is removed from the trailer, so no more down hill pull.

Then what?

You can launch the boat and pull the empty trailer back up the ramp, but how do you pull the boat back out, if the weight of it was enough to "slide" the tow vehicle down the ramp? I wouldn't think you would be able to pull up a ramp you slide down.

What am I missing?

Marlin275
05-03-2010, 12:19 PM
OK, I'm with you so far. The boat hits the water, begins to float, so the weight is removed from the trailer, so no more down hill pull.
Then what?
You can launch the boat and pull the empty trailer back up the ramp, but how do you pull the boat back out, if the weight of it was enough to "slide" the tow vehicle down the ramp? I wouldn't think you would be able to pull up a ramp you slide down.
What am I missing?

I have had the same thing happen.
Usually slime/algae at low tide.
After boating the tide comes up
and no problem.

Or just back down super slow!
I sometimes back down with the car in drive
and use the accelerator to compensate the pull down.

fogducker III
05-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Right at the start I pointed out towing was not the issue, it was the "stopping" part of it. Having a light vehicle with a heavier boat and tandem trailer worried me with the stock small drum brakes on the Jeep.....but in bull low with hubs locked, this thing would pull the boat and trailer up a wall.......Dana 44's with the lowest gears possible, good quality heavy tread tires and the short wheel base actually helps the pulling cababilities of it......plus if all else fails, I am installing a winch and having a snatch-block on hand.........:wink:

CaribouLou
05-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Impossible, because the all knowing one has said so :wink::popcorn:

Just Say N20
05-03-2010, 01:58 PM
I have had the same thing happen.
Usually slime/algae at low tide.
After boating the tide comes up
and no problem.

Or just back down super slow!
I sometimes back down with the car in drive
and use the accelerator to compensate the pull down.

OK. I wasn't thinking it was due to a low traction surface covered with slime, I was thinking more along the lines of the tow vehicle simply not weighing enough to get enough traction on dry pavement, so it was pulled back into the water.

RickSE
05-03-2010, 02:36 PM
... I wouldn't think you would be able to pull up a ramp you slide down.
What am I missing?

In our case we pulled out just fine. It was the reverse momentum that made the truck slide down the ramp. Going forward was fine since it carried the momentum forward and up the ramp. An extremely slick ramp may be a different story though.

Cuda
05-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Oh my, you really do have some issues don't you?

Just because you have been sitting in front of your computer on this site for 7 more years than I does NOT make you an expert in diddly squat!

I don't respect anybody who talks like you and spouts off at the mouth about things they know very little about. I don't need to knock you off your high horse" your doing a great job almost falling off it yourself....:wink:

How many boats do you actually own now? When was the last time you have been out in a boat or been 4x4ing? My guess is not recently.......

Cuda, you are one bitter man......
As I said, I owned eight boats at the same time. I''m only bitter when a couple of pissants give me grief talking trash about stuff they have no idea what they are talking about. I have been there and done that.

Cuda
05-03-2010, 05:13 PM
I still don't think he's put it together that I live in the states.
But yes Jeremy, you're right on the money with everything.
Dumb Canadian ;)
Then why are you flying the Canadian Maple Leaf, and the last time I checked caribou were only found in Alaska. Explain your confusion.

fogducker III
05-03-2010, 05:13 PM
As I said, I owned eight boats at the same time. I''m only bitter when a couple of pissants give me grief talking trash about stuff they have no idea what they are talking about. I have been there and done that.

Go Canucks.......:)

fogducker III
05-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Then why are you flying the Canadian Maple Leaf, and the last time I checked caribou were only found in Alaska. Explain your confusion.

See,another ignorant comment, the caribou I saw for three years guiding in the Yukon and the NWT must have been lost.........:nilly:

Why can a Canadian living in the US not fly our flag? New law passed in FL or something?

PS. Cuda, YOU started the pissing war if you read back, EVERY one of your posts were cheap, uneducated shots at something I had posted, is it you just hate Canadians? or do you hate everybody........I'm out of here to get ready to BBQ a steak and watch the game........

Just Say N20
05-03-2010, 05:21 PM
I don't understand how this kind of "banter" does anything to make the site more educational, or enjoyable.

Please give it a rest. It doesn't matter who started it. :wink:

CaribouLou
05-03-2010, 06:17 PM

No idea what I'm talking about? Pissant?

I can't wait to meet you....

Cuda
05-03-2010, 06:18 PM
It's the two pissants that won't give it a break. I was perfectly happy to let a sleeping dog lie, but if they want to get in a sht slinging war, I'll be their huckleberry.

CaribouLou
05-03-2010, 06:22 PM
You gotta get the last word in, then say you're going to let it die?

You act like a 12 year old. Grow up.

Cuda
05-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Look in the mirror.

fogducker III
05-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Look in the mirror.

I say we call a truce Cuda, this will go nowhere but bad......we all have a large amount of knowledge and history and have our own opinions, sometimes we all voice them louder then we should. I for one have been very guilty of it in the past and am trying to tone it down a little, so shall we all talk about some Donzi boating related issues?

PS. The Jeep towed the Donzi down to the boat ramp and back just fine, I didn't launch because it was blowing 80kms plus!!!:eek::yes:

CaribouLou
05-03-2010, 07:52 PM
I say we call a truce Cuda, this will go nowhere but bad......we all have a large amount of knowledge and history and have our own opinions, sometimes we all voice them louder then we should. I for one have been very guilty of it in the past and am trying to tone it down a little, so shall we all talk about some Donzi boating related issues?

PS. The Jeep towed the Donzi down to the boat ramp and back just fine, I didn't launch because it was blowing 80kms plus!!!:eek::yes:

So whats that, like 10mph? :wink:

Truce is good.
:hi5:

fogducker III
05-03-2010, 08:12 PM
So whats that, like 10mph? :wink:

Truce is good.
:hi5:

Kelly, you should have been here yesterday.....strongest winds I have seen for many years, lost some trees and blew the lid of the new chicken coup....:eek: mind you I hadn't finished nailing it all down completly...:bonk:

Lenny was up visiting today, he was monitoring a local phone "relay type" station that was running on battery power because of the power outages....:garfield:

Weird weather lately but hopefully it looks like it is going to change.................gentlemen, Start your boats!!

mrfixxall
05-03-2010, 08:16 PM

ok that's it im not taking anybodys side!!!:):):)

ever since Debbie left cuda he has been a little edgie so FOGDOCKER your x old lady is outta here, I'm sending her to Florida to take care of cuda's sexual frustrations..I'm done using her,o did i mention the garden hose trick?:yes::biggrin.::beer:

fogducker III
05-03-2010, 08:38 PM

ever since Debbie left cuda he has been a little edgie so FOGDOCKER your x old lady is outta here, I'm sending her to Florida to take care of cuda's sexual frustrations..I'm done using her,o did i mention the garden hose trick?:yes::biggrin.::beer:

:eek::beer:

Just Say N20
05-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Good, now that we've got that under control. . . . .:nilly: :bonk:

fogducker III
05-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Good, now that we've got that under control. . . . .:nilly: :bonk:

:yes::wink::popcorn:

CaribouLou
05-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Once I get this damn drive fixed, I'll be game....What prop are you running J?

fogducker III
05-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Once I get this damn drive fixed, I'll be game....What prop are you running J?

Still have the 23p Laser II but the local prop guy "tweaked" it for me and added a little cup, helped alot......:wink:

Sunshine and calm so far today, might just have to hit the water today, will be the first launch from the "new" ramp......:)

Cuda
05-04-2010, 08:53 AM

I don't even think about Debbie anymore, except yesterday when a collection agent was trying to find her. I gave them her mom and dad's phone number.

Cuda
05-04-2010, 08:56 AM
I used a three blade 24" Turbo prop on the 22. No porpoising and ran like it was on rails.

mrfixxall
05-04-2010, 09:14 AM
I don't even think about Debbie anymore, except yesterday when a collection agent was trying to find her. I gave them her mom and dad's phone number.

AW come on cuda yes you do!!:) Chit i think of my hott x ole lady when on riding on the a$$ of fogdockers x old lady :yes:

Cuda
05-04-2010, 10:05 AM
AW come on cuda yes you do!!:) Chit i think of my hott x ole lady when on riding on the a$$ of fogdockers x old lady :yes:
No I don't. My first girlfriend was the hottest chick in Pinellas Park. I've never gone out with an ugly woman. Life's too short to dance with ugly girls.

My ex wife.

Cuda
05-04-2010, 10:13 AM
My first girlfriend. This is how she looks now.

Cuda
05-04-2010, 10:28 AM
This is a sweet little Vietnamese girl I met down here. She's in Boston right now, but she called me about 7:30 this morning.

Cuda
05-04-2010, 10:30 AM
This is how Laura looked in 1971.

CJmike
05-04-2010, 10:44 AM
What exactly is this thread about?:popcorn:

Cuda
05-04-2010, 11:13 AM
What exactly is this thread about?:popcorn:
Nothing. Fixx called into question my ability to get women.

mrfixxall
05-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Nothing. Fixx called into question my ability to get women.

Nope! just trying to throw some fun back into the board :)

Watch out for those asian woman,their freeks under the sheets:yes::eek:

Cuda
05-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Nope! just trying to throw some fun back into the board :)

Watch out for those asian woman,their freeks under the sheets:yes::eek:
Ain't that the truth!
I'm crazy mad for this girl.

You haven't had foreplay until you get a good foot massage. :)

CaribouLou
05-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Still have the 23p Laser II but the local prop guy "tweaked" it for me and added a little cup, helped alot......:wink:

Sunshine and calm so far today, might just have to hit the water today, will be the first launch from the "new" ramp......:)

Assuming your drive uses a FTII hub, you should give my 25 TP a shot....

fogducker III
05-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Assuming your drive uses a FTII hub, you should give my 25 TP a shot....

My lower is an Imco shortie with the 1 1/4" shaft, I have the square hub kit so not sure if the TP will fit?

CaribouLou
05-04-2010, 04:49 PM
My lower is an Imco shortie with the 1 1/4" shaft, I have the square hub kit so not sure if the TP will fit?

it should work then. It's got a merc square flotorque II hub,

Ed Donnelly
05-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Fog; Where did you guide in the N.W.T.??
My old stomping ground was Little Cornwallis Island.
I have an old friend who is a hunting guide for Musk Ox and Caribou in Manitoba...........................Ed

P.S. Go Canucks

P.P.S. Cool launch vehicle

fogducker III
05-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Fog; Where did you guide in the N.W.T.??
My old stomping ground was Little Cornwallis Island.
I have an old friend who is a hunting guide for Musk Ox and Caribou in Manitoba...........................Ed

P.S. Go Canucks

P.P.S. Cool launch vehicle

Howdy Ed, long time no chat.......I was based out of Whitehorse in the Yukon, we trailed in and worked in an area called Rapitan Lake, right on the border of the Yukon and NWT, we trailed via horseback to various "spike camps" from a base camp, usually two or three weeks hunts. Dall sheep was the main target but also did caribou, moose, black and grizzly bear and sometimes the odd European would want a wolf. We did trophy animals only and used all the meat from the edible animals. Great life expereince......:yes:

Canucks choked last night......:garfield:

thehow33
05-04-2010, 11:19 PM
GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes ::yes: lol