PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 28 ZX master breaker?

VetteLT193
04-30-2010, 07:57 PM
I got my boat back from the shop about 2 weeks ago for warranty work (bilge pump out). Been running around like mad with work and finally started to prep it to go out tomorrow.

Shop said that they had a problem with the batteries... I was a bit taken back because the boat has a built in battery charger... I told them that and basically blew it off until tonight. As soon as I got home from the shop I plugged the boat in like I normally do. Didn't test anything, didn't think anything of it. So, long story short is has been on charge for 2 weeks. I know I could hear the charger buzzing a few days back. tonight I can't be sure because of the rain noise.

tonight... nothing. boat is dead, no power to anything. Is there a master breaker somewhere? I hope I can use the jumper box panel to get the hatch open. It is raining so it will be a tomorrow thing.

I tried the batteries on A, B, All and every combination between the two switches. still nothing. I also tested every breaker I have access to in the panel and under the dash. none popped.

zelatore
04-30-2010, 08:30 PM
I can't help you with the breaker on a 28ZX, but if you're leaving the boat on the charger a lot without using it, you should keep an eye on the water in the batteries.

I don't know how many times I've had people leave their boats plugged in 24/7 then not be aboard for weeks or months at a time, only to find the water has slowly boiled off and the batteries are totally shot.

Of course, if you've got sealed batteries like AGM or Gel, disregard this all together...

mrfixxall
04-30-2010, 08:30 PM
i believe theirs a reset button on the on board charger..Didn't donzi give you all the manuals for the boat?? When we got our motor coach the instruction book was like 6'' thick with everything in the motor coach..

VetteLT193
04-30-2010, 08:36 PM
i believe theirs a reset button on the on board charger..Didn't donzi give you all the manuals for the boat?? When we got our motor coach the instruction book was like 6'' thick with everything in the motor coach..

The instruction manual is slim and written for the entire ZX AND ZR line. It is nearly worthless...

I don't think it is the charger, although it could be, because I am pretty darn sure I heard it buzzing and there is absolutely no power. not even enough to turn on an LED light on the dash.

VetteLT193
04-30-2010, 08:41 PM
here is the manual. all of it. The wiring diagram is supposed to be on page 54 according the table of contents but the book ends on 53

BUIZILLA
04-30-2010, 09:07 PM
aren't there two lugs in the cockpit?

VetteLT193
04-30-2010, 09:36 PM
aren't there two lugs in the cockpit?

yep... the plan for the morning is to yank a battery from one of the cars and jump it. but with no juice whatsoever, even with the charger plugged in, I'm hoping for a master breaker / fuse somewhere.

Cuda
05-01-2010, 06:57 AM
On many boats there are wires to jump it to open the hatch under the rear seat.

I'd guess you boiled all the water out of the batteries, but I would think an onboard charger wouldn't let you overcharge the batteries.

On my Formula, you could raise the rear hatch by hand and disconnect a pin in the actuator and finish opening it by hand. I'm sure yours has some provision to open the hatch without power.

jimishooch
05-01-2010, 07:38 AM
got a volt meter?

zelatore
05-01-2010, 10:28 AM
I'd guess you boiled all the water out of the batteries, but I would think an onboard charger wouldn't let you overcharge the batteries.

You'd think that; and the charger people would do their best to lead you to believe it, but the simple fact is every charger I've dealt with on a boat will eventually cook the water out of a standard flooded battery. Big names like Charles, Xantrex, Mastervolt, or simple little things from West Marine - they all cook 'em eventually if you don't pay attention.

I replace more batteries on unused (but plugged into shore power) boats than anywhere else. Nobody wants to check water, but by the same token they don't want to shell out the big money for AGM batteries.

And I feel your pain on the 'manual' that came with the boat. So many boat builders put out little or no documentation with the boat! For example, one of the brands we used to sell didn't provide ANY documentation on their product! they simply gave you a bag with the separate manuals from all the parts they installed (motor, trans, pumps, fire system, steering, etc). Too many builders are very weak in this department. It was one of Carver's better points, IMO.

VetteLT193
05-01-2010, 11:21 AM
What I think happened is the boat yard didn't turn off the battery switches. Stereo probably stayed on, drained the batteries. The Charger was in fault mode so even though it was plugged in it was not charging.

I jumped it to get the hatch up, yanked them, did a quick wally world exchange and I am back in business.