PDA

View Full Version : Water pump impeller grease

VetteLT193
04-29-2010, 12:23 PM
I swear I remember reading to not use petroleum products on the impeller when you change it. Is this an environmental concern or otherwise?

In the past I have used Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease (because I have it around) which seemed fine. Should I use something different?

CHACHI
04-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Dish detergent?

Ken

fogducker III
04-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Thin coat of Vasoline, I know it is petroleum based but other ingredients seem to keep it in place......

mrfixxall
04-29-2010, 12:47 PM
believe it or not i use either ky or dish soap..their both water soluble..

VetteLT193
04-29-2010, 01:10 PM
dish soap it is :)

RickSE
04-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Lithium for me.

DonziJon
04-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Petroleum based products will likely dissolve many "rubber" products. Some other impeller materials May Survive. Read the directions that come with the impeller.

joseph m. hahnl
04-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Petroleum based products will likely dissolve many "rubber" products. Some other impeller materials May Survive. Read the directions that come with the impeller.

Petrolium based products can make rubber swell or shrink as well. Did you ever notice? How when you take out an oily O ring, out of a groove, it is to big to put back in?

http://www2.nynas.com/naph/start/article.cfm?Art_ID=1987&Iss_ID=101

MOP
04-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Been using water proof OMC grease for over 40 years still have a little dab left, then I guess I will have to go the "KY" route:pimp:

Actually Silicone grease is the recommend and supplied by Johnson & Jabsco with their impellers.

DonziJon
04-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Petroleum based products can make rubber swell or shrink as well. Did you ever notice? How when you take out an oily O ring, out of a groove, it is to big to put back in?

http://www2.nynas.com/naph/start/article.cfm?Art_ID=1987&Iss_ID=101

:wink: Haven't really seen swelling or shrinking. I'm sure it exists. I have seen rubber turn to mush. My first car (1948 Plymouth) had a problem with the brakes. Brake fluid was evaporating from the master cylinder...or otherwise disappearing. In an emergency..on the road.. without brakes...I added Motor Oil to the master cylinder to replenish. The car was a big oil burner so I had extra oil in the trunk. The brakes came back.

Two weeks later I had NO BRAKES at all. Took it apart and found the mush. Bought a master cylinder kit....The guy smiled when I told him I used motor oil. I was 17 and didn't Know Nothin. :bonk:

Fast foreword to 1976. I was working for ITT Grinnell which was THE PLACE to go if you were building or maintaining a Nuclear Power Plant. (32 Nuclear Stamps)

O-Rings are made of all kinds of materials (acording to the application) that the general public has no idea about. Basic "Buna-N" comes to mind. But when you go to a hardware store to buy an O-Ring you have no idea WHAT it's made of...or what it is compatible with.

My memory is getting foggy but I think a preferred material for O-Rings was Ethylene Propylene. There were many other materials that were selected to better suit OTHER applications. Somewhere..... I have a Folder with this stuff. :nilly:

Cuda
04-29-2010, 06:40 PM
I've used some stuff called Sil-Glide for years. I use it on anything made of rubber. You can still get it from JC Whitney.

MOP
04-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Think for a moment! Water pumps are always rebuilt just prior to use, our shop never did any of our pump jobs until spring. So IMO use slippery stuff that pleases you as it will be thoroughly washed out minutes after start up allaying any fears of impeller damage due to what ever KRAP is used!

gcarter
04-29-2010, 07:30 PM
All the O-rings and quad rings that Kinetico uses in their control valves are assembled w/silicone grease because they WILL swell w/any petroleum based product. It makes them impossible to disassemble.
We've had a number of retired mechanics and engineers make some very expensive mistakes while trying to figure out how they work.

I use soap.

Planetwarmer
04-29-2010, 09:40 PM
I use Pam cooking spray

Pismo
04-30-2010, 06:06 AM
I use water. Always been enough.

Walt. H.
04-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Just dip it in some of the extra antifreeze mix you have standing around, it works fine as a lube if you know how crappy it feels when you splash some on your hands and its unquestionably safe for your impeller and it stays on for ever until its washed off.
Besides when you winterize your rig what do you think is coating your entire cooling system including all your hoses for 6 to 7 months every season........:bonk: :wink:
I just did one last month and it will not be splashed until next month or sometime in June.

VetteLT193
04-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Just dip it in some of the extra antifreeze mix you have standing around, it works fine as a lube if you know how crappy it feels when you splash some on your hands and its unquestionably safe for your impeller and it stays on for ever until its washed off.
Besides when you winterize your rig what do you think is coating your entire cooling system including all your hoses for 6 to 7 months every season........:bonk: :wink:

What is this 'winterize' word you speak of?

This winter was an odd one and I didn't go out but usually boating season begins Jan 1 and ends Dec 31 in Florida. :boat:

Walt. H.
04-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Hah Ha, Wise Guy! :)
I knew I should have worded us northerners when winterizing.

VetteLT193
04-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Hah Ha, Wise Guy! :)
I knew I should have worded us northerners when winterizing.

I hoped you would get a laugh out of that.

Walt. H.
04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
For sure' I really walked into that one.

joseph m. hahnl
04-30-2010, 06:59 PM
What is this 'winterize' word you speak of?

This winter was an odd one and I didn't go out but usually boating season begins Jan 1 and ends Dec 31 in Florida. :boat:

As I recall florida was not imune to winter this year.

http://www.sayyestovacationhomes.com/images/Snow%20in%20Florida.jpg

handfulz28
04-30-2010, 07:21 PM
How did all that sand get on top of the palm tree like that? :kingme: :kingme:

Cuda
05-01-2010, 07:05 AM
As I recall florida was not imune to winter this year.

http://www.sayyestovacationhomes.com/images/Snow%20in%20Florida.jpg
It wasn't that cold in Florida this year. I remember when it snowed in 1977. They even had snow in Miami that year. I was picking oranges in the snow in our front yard that year.