PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Coast in Danger of Oil Slick

Barry Eller
04-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Well Gentlemen...it looks like Pensacola Beach may get hit with something other than Spring Breakers and Hurricanes...I'm just lost for words...and they are still going to try and drill more rigs off the Florida Coast...:mad:

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/04/gulf_coast_beaches_and_fisheri.html

Barry Eller
05-01-2010, 06:31 AM
It looks like the oil slick will be on Pensacola Beach Monday...here is a article from the Pensacola News Journal. Senator Bill Nelson was in town yesterday and gave a news conference, it it takes 2 to 3 months to drill the relief well, even the Florida Keys will be impacted.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20100430/NEWS01/100430011

rustnrot
05-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Like I said on Facebook,

The disaster in the Gulf will be unprecedented in damage to the environment. It is truly Our Chernobyl Incident.

Cuda
05-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Bill Nelson wouldn't miss a chance for a photo op. Do you think he really cares?

Bamboo Loui
05-01-2010, 08:25 AM
we just got home after spending a week on St George Island. We really enjoyed all the wonderful seafood and the beautiful beaches. This is such a shame. I have actually been for the off shore drilling-- but I was sure these guys would do it safely!! they did not and now the cost for the gulf will be dear. I doubt anyone will ever know how much wild life will be affected.
I am so sorry this happened. :frown:

rtgogo
05-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Beyond the environmental devastation, the economic impact to the gulf coast will be widespread and long lasting. This really sux, you would have thought there were much better internal controls around an investment of this magnitude.

BUIZILLA
05-01-2010, 09:02 AM
and to think I was pissed off about a $765 water bill for my rental property... :bonk:

Barry Eller
05-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Bill Nelson wouldn't miss a chance for a photo op. Do you think he really cares?

I think he cares more than most of the Politicians in Florida. He is a Democrat, but he is more conservative than most of them. Politicians need to work together on this disaster, this is not the time for bipartisan bickering.

Cuda
05-01-2010, 09:54 AM
I just don't much care for politicians period. I called Charlie Christ's office Thursday, but I saw later he was busy in St Pete changing from a Republican to an Independant. He has no hope of being re-elected. He was recently voted the worse governor in the 50 states.

He has too good a tan. He didn't get it from roaming the halls of justice in Tallahassee.
It's like my golf saying: Never trust a guy with a deep tan and carries a one iron that you just met on the first tee. :)

Each party steals so many articles of faith from the other, and the candidates spend so much time making each other's speeches, that by the time election day is past there is nothing much to do save turn the sitting rascals out and let a new gang in.
H. L. Mencken

dr
05-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Where’s all the ‘drill baby drill' zealots?

MOP
05-01-2010, 05:00 PM
I am all for Drill Baby Drill but where we have the most oil, but Oby is declaring that and taboo for drilling. Offshore drilling has always spooked me! We have more oil in our country the all the Arab nations combined, we could be 100% non dependent. We would not have to be fighting wars named in other causes when it is really oil they are after. Yes DRILL BABY DRILL lets truly become the most powerful nation again!

rustnrot
05-01-2010, 05:04 PM
I feel much better now. I just read ALL the Lawyers are headed to the Gulf :nilly:

Like they used to say in one of the cartoons I watched as a kid -- "Oil's Well that Ends Well"!

VetteLT193
05-01-2010, 08:05 PM
we just got home after spending a week on St George Island. We really enjoyed all the wonderful seafood and the beautiful beaches. This is such a shame. I have actually been for the off shore drilling-- but I was sure these guys would do it safely!! they did not and now the cost for the gulf will be dear. I doubt anyone will ever know how much wild life will be affected.
I am so sorry this happened. :frown:

I wish I didn't miss you this trip. next time we'll see you for sure now that I'm not working 20 hours a day.

supposed to go out tomorrow from Carrabelle. :cool: We'll certainly have our eyes out for any oil slick and will post pics... thinking about running to Apalach so it should be a good day on the water... hopefully water only and not an oil/water combo. :shocking:

Cuda
05-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Carrabell is a cool little fishing town. They have a phone both for their police station. :)

bertsboat
05-01-2010, 09:50 PM
The first second he found out he should have called out the navy oil boom vessels. We have them you know. They could have corraled that rig and at least held it in a smaller area for a while till they either capped it or something. Too little too late. He waited 10 days. Way too long. A real shame. I think this is the end for him. One term is too long.

BUIZILLA
05-01-2010, 10:08 PM
The first second he found out he should have called out the navy oil boom vessels. We have them you know. They could have corraled that rig and at least held it in a smaller area for a while till they either capped it or something. Too little too late. He waited 10 days. Way too long. A real shame. I think this is the end for him. One term is too long. I dunno... I think we ALL just sat in awe for a few days at the magnitude of the rig, and the fire, and the oblique chances of this even happening... nobody expected it to sink and breakaway from the pipe... nor could they do anything about the pipe with the fire going on... I do find it amazing the underwater failsafe cutoff failed for reasons yet unknown...

Cuda
05-02-2010, 06:36 AM
They capped off all the oil rigs Saddam set on fire a whole lot quicker than was estimated. I figure they will find a way to cap this rig.

rustnrot
05-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Expect the Congressional Hearings with BP to go something like this:

http://break.com/index/the-front-fell-off.html?matchid=?matchid=